• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you use the word God...

God (upper case) means...

• the god of the Bible, or the Abrahamic religions (aka, God is a proper noun)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • the god described by any type of monotheism

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • any god from any type of theism

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • some other meaning that I'll explain in my post

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you use the word God (upper case), which of these do you mean?

NOTE - "god" and "God" do not necessarily refer to the same thing; I am specifically asking about the upper case variant

This poll is mostly for curiosity. Regardless of your choice, why do you use the upper case "God" in the way that you do?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Upper case G to me means the Biblical one including that of Baha'is and also Sikhs though they aren't Biblical. That is quite narrow but it's just what I think of. If I refer to the Zoroastrian one I say Ahura Mazda.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
When I use such word it could mean any god being named be it of any religion. As a whole though I do not like using words that only make monotheism seem relevant and this is a habit I picked up as an atheist I should add. But there is also a notion that I am using the word "God" in reverence to all gods or the notion of a god existing.

I also differentiate the lower and uppercase forms as a matter of respect to a specific god, be it Zeus, Allah or Jesus.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

NOTE - "god" and "God" do not necessarily refer to the same thing; I am specifically asking about the upper case variant

This poll is mostly for curiosity. Regardless of your choice, why do you use the upper case "God" in the way that you do?

I take God to mean a omnipotent/omniscient concept of a existent being based on religious and/or supernatural ideology.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I usually only use it to refer the an Abrahamic deity, but will use it to refer to any specific deity under discussion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I use it in the context of whatever religion is being addressed, which almost always is Christianity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

By "God," I mean a god that has been given the name or title "God" by its believers.

There's no particular reason I can see why one god out of a polytheistic pantheon couldn't be named "God," but I only encounter this rarely (unless we want to count the Trinity as a polytheistic pantheon, but that's no a bear I feel like poking today).

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The uppercase - to me - denotes respect. Though personally I regard it as unnecessary respect, and to me "God" and "god" mean the same thing. If I want to specify the god of Abraham, I either say that or name him as Yahweh.

Akivah

I use the word 'G-d' to denote the entity that I worship. The One, Eternal, Unique, never-changing, formless, G-d.

I use the word 'god' to denote entities that other people worship other than my G-d, particularly idols.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I use it to refer to the Abrahamic deity. The uppercase denotes a personal name so for example I would say "The god worshipped by Jews, Christians & Muslims is referred to as 'God' in many different languages".

If I'm referring to the Zoroastrian god I call him Mazda or Ahura.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I use the upper case 'G' when using the word as a proper noun when referring to a specific deity, regardless of which deity to which I'm referring, Abrahamic or otherwise. I use the lower case 'g' when referring to gods as a common noun, for example, "gods of the Greek pantheon" or "Greek gods" .

Last edited:

Holdasown

Depends on the context and if written if a capital "G" is used. God to me is a title. Most if not all have a name.

suncowiam

There's only one person I know that uses "god" as opposed to "God." ;)

So please bare with me as I slowly open up my vocabulary.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

I only use god (lower case) when referring to God's of other religions. Of which I do not believe in other religions gods.

I use God (upper case) when referring to my own religion, Christianity. It's a sign of respect.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I use God when specifically referring to Krishna, Vishnu, Rama, Shiva being Supreme God (or Goddess for Durga, Lakshmi, Kali, Saraswati, etc.) I use 'god' or 'goddess' as a generic noun for almost any other deity, Hindu or not.
In English, capitalization doesn't denote respect; it denotes a proper noun.

We often capitalize pronouns too when transliterating into English. Even in English translations of the Bhagavad Gita, when Krishna speaks and refers to Himself it's transliterated as Me, when Arjuna speaks to Him, he uses You, Your, etc. (see what I did there? :p).

Btw, Sanskrit (devanagari alphabet) doesn't have upper and lower case; I use all lower case when using the Latin alphabet, as in my signature.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In English, capitalization doesn't denote respect; it denotes a proper noun.
Indeed, and in a sense of gods, capitalizing it is silly to a polytheist, as each god is practically unique. Just saying "God" doesn't mean much, but if you say "the Norse God of Thunder," then that gets a little more specific.