• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you think of God what do you see?

dmt1.gif

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Are Moslems allowed to draw God? To make images of him? Is it forbidden?

I know you can't draw your prophet
A picture is a distraction. It does not and cannot depict the truthful G-d, I understand. Right, please?

Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindus largely view God and the gods the way they do because those images tell stories and describe the attributes and powers of God. It’s the old “a picture is worth a thousand words”. I personally don’t believe God is a four armed blue dude. The iconography is usually always consistent depictions. He actually sanctions using images because as sensory beings, we need to feel, touch, smell, see, etc. For those whose minds are attached to the unmanifest, the path of realization is full of tribulations. Worship of the unmanifest is exceedingly difficult for embodied beings. Bhagavad Gita 12.5. The commentary is here Chapter 12, Verse 5 – Bhagavad Gita, The Song of God – Swami Mukundananda

Why is the worship of the formless Brahman so difficult? The first and foremost reason for this is that we humans possess a form ourselves and we have been habituated to interacting with forms in endless lifetimes. Thus, while striving to love God as well, if our mind has a wonderful enchanting form to meditate upon, it can easily focus upon it and increase its attachment to the Lord. However, in the case of the formless, the intellect cannot conceive of it, and the mind and senses have no tangible object to relate to. So both the endeavors of meditating on God and increasing the mind’s attachment to Him become difficult.

This works for me.

ajay0

When you think of God what do you see, in your mind's eye?

What image comes to mind?

Describe or post a pic!

Here is what I see - the Lord Jesus Christ:

View attachment 44715

But what do you see?

When I think of the personal God, I think of God Shiva as taught by the Prajapita Brahmakumaris as being an incorporeal point of light, and considered the same as Jehovah, Allah, Ahura Mazda, Baha, Waheguru in the other monotheistic religions.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
An entity being that makes everything alright.
A spirit that resides everywhere it's good to be.
The master of relationships and living life.
A majestic scene in nature.

Not a creator though!

The landlord of existence.

Perplexed by religious books.

God is someone who let's you live as you deserve for better or worse til all people are resolved to life and peace.

Rule maker.

Soul master!

Someone I would not easily hand over the title of being God.

But do you ever imagine what he may look like?

If you mean Bible God, I don’t do that, for example because I think it is against His commandment. But, it is also because of these:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8