• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you see a pentacle.

Draka

Wonder Woman
What do you think or feel? You pass a man in a store who is wearing a pentacle necklace. What, if anything, do you think about him? You pull up next to a minivan in a parking lot and a woman is loading her kids in and you see a pentacle hanging from her rearview mirror. What do you think about her? Her kids?

I suppose this question is mostly for Christians and other Abrahamics. I'm honestly wondering what your first reaction is or would be.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
My girlfriend wears one. ^_^

I like the symbol. I see it as a symbol for the five elements of nature, surrounded by the circle which represents unity. I've never considered the symbol complete without the surrounding circle. Without it, it's just the star that indicates the right answer. ^_^

Otherright

Otherright
What do you think or feel? You pass a man in a store who is wearing a pentacle necklace. What, if anything, do you think about him? You pull up next to a minivan in a parking lot and a woman is loading her kids in and you see a pentacle hanging from her rearview mirror. What do you think about her? Her kids?

I suppose this question is mostly for Christians and other Abrahamics. I'm honestly wondering what your first reaction is or would be.

My first reaction is that person is into Wicca. Then I think to myself that the person is deluded into thinking magic is real. Then I just move on.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Former neopagan, looking back with deep respect and affection... what do you think?

rocketboy

Former Jew here;
Honestly, I guess I'd first think of them as a crystal power, astrology, or psychic crackpot...
Then I'd politically-correct myself like a good Canadian.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I suppose I'd think they were Wiccans or Pagans. I don't know that I'd have any particular feelings one way or another about it. I guess if anything, I'd maybe imagine they might be kind of cool people, since most of the Wiccans and Pagans I've met have been pretty nice, open-minded, chill folks.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Would anyone truly fear the person with the pentacle? Think they are evil or may harm them?

I'm wondering because I was the lady with the minivan the other day. The guy who pulled in across from me kept staring at the pentacle hanging from my rearview mirror and would not get out of his car until after I had backed out to leave. He wasn't doing anything. He pulled in like right as I was coming to my van and sat there the whole time while I loaded in my bags and strapped my daughter in her car seat and everything. He just watched me. And when I sat in my driver's seat getting ready to go I notice him just staring up towards me but not really at me. More towards my pentacle. It was just...odd. So I wondered what might be going through his head. Like if he was actually scared of me or something.

rocketboy

I don't think so. I would have a bigoted knee-jerk reaction, which I would then be ashamed of and suppress, but fear? Nah.
That guy probably is a Christian who's seen too many horror movies.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I'm personally offended when the upright pentagram is associated with Satanism, because it's not meant to be.

I used to have neo-Pagan leanings myself for many years.

The Neo Nerd

Being ex-pagan myself i smile to myself, most of the pagans i have met have been absolutely amazing, kind hearted friendly people.

I myself have a pentacle hanging on a chain on my bed head. I still wear it every now and then because i like it and it reminds me on better times in my life and some of the wonderful pagans i know and love. It still has some psychological value to me and it's also useful for warding off the christians who come up to me randomly in the street and try and force their religion on me.

It still amuses me that people will be scornful of those who believe in magic but will whole-heartedly believe in an invisible man in the sky who is so powerful that he can ignore the arbitrary rule of godhood of actually making a difference. It just smacks of ignorance if you ask me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm personally offended when the upright pentagram is associated with Satanism, because it's not meant to be.

I used to have neo-Pagan leanings myself for many years.
I once had some wannabe Satanist tell me "Your goat-star is upside down." :facepalm:

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I'd say to myself, "Hey, a Wiccan," and would think of the person as a friend, because I'm sure we have shared some experiences of being victims to ignorance.

thebigpicture

To be completely honest, the first thing that would pop into my head is the stigma often attached to it. But, I most certainly wouldn't feel negative towards the person. I wouldn't judge them negatively based solely on that.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Well, I once had a college Science instructor actually approach me after class and point at my pentacle and ask me if did orgies and blood sacrifices. :eek::thud::facepalm:

Wow. I wasn't necessarily referring to the Pentacle, but man. That's ignorant.