• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you die...

Truth in love

...how would you like to be disposed of?

Also, how does your spiritual beliefs factor in?

Personally, I would like to be cremated, by not right away. If memory serves me right, The Tibetan Book of the Dead is supposed to be read as you are dying. More so, after death, loved ones recite the book in the presence of your body after death to help guide your soul as it leaves the body.

I would like to do something like this I think. Hopefully I have plenty of time to think about it.

One can have a comforting thought.

For me I want a pine box, no trimmings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am not the body; rivers are sacred.
The Sacred Rivers do not mind a bit of ash. Moreover, ash is non-polluting, it has already been cleansed by fire. Some day it will come up as sedimentary rock. Ask Mother Ganges. :D
Any useful organs donated. The rest is going to science/medical school for decay experiments/dissection/parties.
I checked. In India, medical colleges want whole body and not just parts. The only part that they can do without is cornea. Otherwise the person can donate organs.
One can have a comforting thought.
How is death and disposal of body an uncomfortable thought?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I fear I'm too old now that my organs are of any use to anybody but I still carry my donor card. The next best thing is my body to be an object of study.
Don't think that "next best thing" isn't of great value! Teaching new doctors alone will save more lives than any of your organ's could.

RestlessSoul

Humans are filthy animals, full of toxins and heavy metals accumulated over decades. Best not to reintroduce that into the biosphere.

That’s a shame. Would quite like my ashes to be thrown off Waterloo Bridge, while Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks is playing somewhere. Don’t want Old Father Thames to choke on them, but then given the things that have been thrown into that river over the centuries, my toxins won’t touch the sides.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Moreover, ash is non-polluting
A human body has to be cremated at very high temperatures to eliminate things like dioxins and then there are still the heavy metals that won't go away, no matter how high the temperature. Your liver and kidneys especially contain lead, cadmium and mercury at levels that would make your ashes officially hazardous waste by most countries standards.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Personally, I would like to be cremated, by not right away. If memory serves me right, The Tibetan Book of the Dead is supposed to be read as you are dying. More so, after death, loved ones recite the book in the presence of your body after death to help guide your soul as it leaves the body.

I would like to do something like this I think. Hopefully I have plenty of time to think about it.
I don't like the thought of my body rotting away in a box, so cremation.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

My goal, hopefully, is to become one with a tree.

Capsula Mundi - The biodegradable urn to become a tree after death

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Do with the body as you see fit as the party is over, and the atoms go their separate ways or carpool as molecules for more adventure and discoveries that surely lay ahead. Even the far reaches of space.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yeah, why not. Life is fun while it lasts, its pleasures, its sorrows. My best wishes to you @Xavier Graham.
Glad to hear that "you" are still doing well 8000 km Eastwards from Holland.

Here in Holland it's still good too

Yeah, why not. Life is fun while it lasts, its pleasures, its sorrows.
But when living in a country at war, I can imagine it's a bit more challenging to see the fun in life, or when someone is tormented by mental challenges or physical pain

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But when living in a country at war, I can imagine it's a bit more challenging to see the fun in life, or when someone is tormented by mental challenges or physical pain
Challenge is another name for life.
"Karmanyevadhiraste .."

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love

Told my wife & sons that I want to be scattered over my home town but also that I did not want to be cremated! Also tried to convince them to put fireworks in my pockets before cremation.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Cremated.

Goldemar

A queer sort

Buried in the ground. I'd like to think I'll have fully freed myself from attachment to my physical body by the time it dies, such that it won't matter how it is disposed of, but I can't be sure. I believe burying the dead body in the ground gives the soul/spirit still attached to it some time to get accustomed to its new state, allowing it to continue to free itself from attachment to it and so with the passage of time move on.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

So many options. I might want to be put in a green cemetery in a shroud, but also I want to be part of a coral reef or tree roots, but that would mean cremation, which is not good for the environment. Hmm.