• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Will It End?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It's not, not caring about the risks (not specific to COVID just any illness), it's prioritizing how much I should put my energy in one thing over another.
Do you feel I should be running around like a chicken with her head chopped off?

If lives are at stake, expend almost any energy! (Masks don’t take much energy to put on. My wife & I also wear face shields, over our masks.)
No. Just running around with a mask on.
Without a mask, by breathing on people now, you could kill them. You realize that, right?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If there were cards that said one doesn't need a mask or, as CDC says, an alternative, I'm sure doctors won't just sign and give people cards just because.
My sister is a physician's assistant, and out of everyone who has asked for a note exempting them from wearing a mask she has only written one, for a guy who lost his nose to something and has a prosthetic nose that gets dislodged with a mask, and it's filtered when be breathes through his sinuses. But he still has to cover his mouth with a mask.
It's basically like anything else and you have to demonstrate you have legit things going on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If lives are at stake, expend almost any energy! (Masks don’t take much energy to put on. My wife & I also wear face shields, over our masks.)
No. Just running around with a mask on.
Without a mask, by breathing on people now, you could kill them. You realize that, right?

That does sound kinda odd. We're always in other people's air space. The idea is if you're "close to the person" wear a mask, not wear a mask in and of itself. Now they're talking about wearing two masks.

Energy I'm referring to is worrying about being asymptomatic all of the sudden not wearing masks.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My sister is a physician's assistant, and out of everyone who has asked for a note exempting them from wearing a mask she has only written one, for a guy who lost his nose to something and has a prosthetic nose that gets dislodged with a mask, and it's filtered when be breathes through his sinuses. But he still has to cover his mouth with a mask.
It's basically like anything else and you have to demonstrate you have legit things going on.

In the US (forgot where you live), since it's not protected by the ADA, getting a card is pretty useless. Many businesses are private so they can turn you away without legal consequences. It's probably rare that someone will actually "need" an exemption. Though, what's bothersome is that many pro-maskers think everyone is making up excuses. Where does that come from?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
They overcame a much worse virus than we have now with a less advanced medical community and it ended with all restrictions removed.

True, there are worse viruses, but why would restrictions be removed from more deadlier viruses?

COVID isn't a death sentence, but there were viruses that when you get it, regardless your health state, you're a gonner.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In the US (forgot where you live), since it's not protected by the ADA, getting a card is pretty useless. Many businesses are private so they can turn you away without legal consequences. It's probably rare that someone will actually "need" an exemption. Though, what's bothersome is that many pro-maskers think everyone is making up excuses. Where does that come from?

"Pro-maskers"? That's a nice ideologically laden term for people who don't whimsically and irresponsibly dismiss medical consensus on wearing masks.

Ironically enough, your arguments in this thread demonstrate what I said earlier about the need for state restrictions to make some people act responsibly and safely:

Quite sadly, this pandemic has shown that many people and businesses do need the state to tell them how to operate (provided the state itself is being reasonable in its rules) or they won't act responsibly or safely. Just as a small example, I've met many people who never bother to wear masks anywhere unless a fine or restricted access is imposed for lack of one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the US (forgot where you live), since it's not protected by the ADA, getting a card is pretty useless.
Actually, if you do have a legit reason, such as the aforementioned example, the ADA does cover it. That is federal, not state.
Though, what's bothersome is that many pro-maskers think everyone is making up excuses. Where does that come from?
Because it's kind of like fat people who blame their hormones or genes or thyroid gland even though they eat way to much and don't exercise. Sure, some people legitimately do have such problems that make them gain weight. But those conditions that cause such problems are very rare and nearly everyone claiming they suffer from it is full of ****. Sort of like how a ton of people self-diagnose and claim to have Asperger's because they have poor social skills. There are many people out there like that, and they too are full of it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"Pro-maskers"? That's a nice ideologically laden term for people who don't whimsically and irresponsibly dismiss medical consensus on wearing masks.

Ironically enough, your arguments in this thread demonstrate what I said earlier about the need for state restrictions to make some people act responsibly and safely:

I like it better than covidiots. Anti-maskers has a negative connotation, but when you have anti-maskers, of course you have the opposite. It's nothing personal.

I think you're putting intentions in my mouth as if I agree with other anti-maskers for some odd reason. I've never been an anti-masker insofar to deny science behind it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, if you do have a legit reason, such as the aforementioned example, the ADA does cover it. That is federal, not state.

Because it's kind of like fat people who blame their hormones or genes or thyroid gland even though they eat way to much and don't exercise. Sure, some people legitimately do have such problems that make them gain weight. But those conditions that cause such problems are very rare and nearly everyone claiming they suffer from it is full of ****. Sort of like how a ton of people self-diagnose and claim to have Asperger's because they have poor social skills. There are many people out there like that, and they too are full of it.

Reading, it looks like ADA helps with alternatives to mask wearing rather than protecting someone who doesn't wear mask cause of disability. I guess maybe there's a way to go about it. I don't know.

But I do feel anti-maskers are a small minority. Most comply regardless their opinions about it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It would make for an interesting legal case. It's legal to bring in service dogs into an establishment banning pets for instance. In case of masks with a legal medical exemption, it could be construed as not accommodating a person who is handicapped.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why are cases going up if masks are the first line of defense?

Unless you live in a sardine neighborhood, it only does but so much.

Because nothing is 100% effective, just ask condom manufacturers.

The rate of cases going up has slowed, due to proper precautions being taken. I'm tired of arguing this BS with people who effectively ignore the science in front of them.

You do you @Unveiled Artist , I hope you and your family stays safe. Gods forbid someone you know end up hospitalized.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Because nothing is 100% effective, just ask condom manufacturers.

The rate of cases going up has slowed, due to proper precautions being taken. I'm tired of arguing this BS with people who effectively ignore the science in front of them.

You do you @Unveiled Artist , I hope you and your family stays safe. Gods forbid someone you know end up hospitalized.

I'm the only one more at risk (if one likes) than my couple of my family members who live out in the country. So, my opinions are just that but you can't spread the virus with opinions. Best precautions I do is social distancing and taking care of myself. Masks help if it's cold outside and we get the sniffles when its cold or coughing because of dust in the air. Mostly for other people's benefit since I'm not as jumpy around people as others are.

You're mixing up two points: NO ONE is saying masks do not work.

What I am saying it has its place.

Medicines work. Not everyone needs to take X medication.

You get the difference?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Honesty is painful. The truth sometimes hurts.

Sounds like a justification for hurting people's feelings (if they were hurt). One of those, "they deserve it" things. It also has a bit of ego, sorry to say. Unless you're the only one that has the truth, maybe a bit less (rather) being right (and believing you are especially if the other opposes it) and a bit more just expressing your opinion and let them take it as is.

Usually, people detect honesty in one's actions and context not just in what one says. Since we're online, it's kind of hard to apply that level of honesty and expect others to take it or leave it.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Medicines work. Not everyone needs to take X medication.

You get the difference?

No I don't, because this isn't a medication. It's PPE, like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. Neither one may save me, but it reduces the risk of permanent injury/death. Masks prevents you from getting others sick, and reduces your chance of illness.

Why should a large State like TX (with many cities, and diverse population), get rid of mask mandates? What good does it do them? Solve a minor inconvenience?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It would make for an interesting legal case. It's legal to bring in service dogs into an establishment banning pets for instance. In case of masks with a legal medical exemption, it could be construed as not accommodating a person who is handicapped.

I can see that. I guess the problem lies in specific criteria one needs to be excused from mask wearing. So far I've been talking on this subject here and elsewhere, people with asthma (like my mother, for instance), still wears masks despite their condition. And those that do wear mask with these conditions assume others should do the same. However, until it's made law, there's really nothing much one can do but to avoid spreading the hate. I kinda pick it up when the word covidiots is used. I guess people care up to a certain point.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Sounds like a justification for hurting people's feelings (if they were hurt). One of those, "they deserve it" things. It also has a bit of ego, sorry to say. Unless you're the only one that has the truth, maybe a bit less (rather) being right (and believing you are especially if the other opposes it) and a bit more just expressing your opinion and let them take it as is.

My give a **** about people's feelings in regards to COVID went out the window when I almost lost my wife to it, and after watching people politicize this virus here on the forum for over a year, instead of following the science, and advice of actual doctors.

It does have a bit of ego, your right, so what? This isn't a religious or political opinion where there is a grey middle. You either are willing to follow the science (fact) and wear a mask, or not. And if you can't due to a medical condition, like my wife now being on Oxygen, you'll have a doctor's slip.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No I don't, because this isn't a medication. It's PPE, like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. Neither one may save me, but it reduces the risk of permanent injury/death. Masks prevents you from getting others sick, and reduces your chance of illness.

Hm. I can't compare the two. If I'm in a car and wear a seatbelt, regardless where I am and where I'm going, I can still get in an accident and injure myself (not others assuming there's no passenger). It doesn't do anything "unless" I get into an accident.

Likewise with masks. It doesn't do anything "unless" someone has symptoms and are near a person in order to block some of the germs to lower risk of transmission. The risk is not based on facts (you're drunk so you may get into an accident and kill someone) but assumptions (he "may" have the illness so let's tell them they are stupid because they "may" spread it if they are close to me). Fear (and other like words) distorts assumptions and anxiety thoughts into what we think is facts-but they are not.

I believe there's a difference: masks prevents you from getting sick, true. That's a fact.
IF the person has the illness to spread and the risk/probability not risk of catching IF the person is next to other people.

It's context focused. I can't apply the same criteria for wearing masks in, say, NY as I would in, say LO because the population is different in both states. However, on television, doctors, etc, have to generalize. There are too many variables. CDC knows this and that's why they have exceptions and alternatives.

Why should a large State like TX (with many cities, and diverse population), get rid of mask mandates? What good does it do them? Solve a minor inconvenience?

That, I don't know. I have family members in TX but I'm sure lifting mandates won't change people's opinions. I'm sure people can think for themselves mandates or not. If the mandates said don't wear a mask anymore or you'd get fined or can't enter a store, that would be a different story. Dropping them lets the public choose but doesn't do anything outside of that.

Edit. Sounds like people are fussing as if the government has some sort of invisible control over people's choice in their well-being.