• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will gas be too expensive for you?

Sententia

I get 36 MPG and drive 62 miles a day, 6 days a week.

Its expensive but not crippling.

I am shortly opting to do the same but adding $100 a month parking bill to boot.

Thus I am considering taking the bus, forgoing parking and driving all together.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I know that here, on our little island, things are very different............

(say) 50 years ago, most folks lived within a bus ride (or a walk away from work; the town centres were full of shops; bakers, butchers and candlestick makers.

Then came the beautiful sneeze from you guys (heard the expression it only takes one American to sneeze, and we all catch a cold here?), and towns became too small for the size of car parking necessary for folk to shop, and the wonderful "Super"market came to the U.K.

From that day we were doomed; the supermarkets decided to go out of town (they could afford the land for car parking), and people began to go out of town to do "big" shops once a week (or maybe twice a week).

People also began to earn enough to live in a lovely house in the country (which was very "POSH"), and the need for cars and our dependency on them was once and for all sealed.

The shops in the town centres died (because folk went out of town), the centres are now only populated by Bars, restaurants and cinemas, and we were all finally "pegged" into boastful mileages that we could discuss in bars........

The downturn came when drink driving was suddenly deemed dangerous; heck, we had all been doing it for years, and quite happily so............nary an accident happened, because we were so confident that we could drive perfectly well when inebriated. The relevant authorities then decided that we were not fit to drive, and suddenly, within a week, none of us who had drunk more than a cup of grape juice became slaughterers in our cars. We had to be stopped.

Fair enough, but how do you get home in the country after having traveled far to get the meal and drink in town?; some poor soul would have to stay sober for the evening........:cover: What a horrendous imposition !! - but, we still managed. The numbers of people killed in motor accidents came down, we all were now driving as far as possible (to impress the neighbour), and all was well........

Some nut then realised that there was a looming problem in that the Global warming syndrome meant that we all had to buy newer cars that would pollute less; never mind the waste from all the old cars.......Out with the old, and in with the new.......

Petrol (that's what we, your cousins call what you call "Gas") prices began to rise, and everyone's attention turned to the idea of vegetable based fuel; Fantastic!!!

No, because someone else realised that we would never be able to grow enough for both foodstuff and for "gas", and that the pollution involved in growing this clean petrol would makes us harm the Earth more than we already do with petrol......

Now, we are in a a heck of a mess, trying to get from home to work, from work to the supermarket, spending hours behind the wheel. Not only that, but 4 by 4's became a status symbol here; people living in town tried to pass themselves off as would be landowners, and bought magnificent monsters that guzzelled even more petrol............

Never mind, it's all in the persuit of hapiness..........;)

tomspug

Absorbant
Yeah, food-based gas on a large scale is not only bad for the environment, but it would also limit our food supplies. And we sure like food.

Perhaps in 5 years, we'll start hearing how coal is going to save the planet!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'll be hitchhiking at $5.18 a gallon.
At $5.18 a gallon, there may not be many people on the road to give you a lift! :D

We killed two birds with one stone, there. Although I remember, back in the day, I had a tiny itty bitty Geo Metro that got over 50 mpg. When prices in the early '90s jumped up to $1.29 a gallon (oh, how I miss those days), I could fill my tank up for less than $10.00.

That tank would last me - what? - 2 weeks or something? That was as a full-time commuting student, part-time worker, and going to rehearsals for performances throughout the year.

Nostalgia for low gas prices with a super-economy car. :cool:
I just got another vehicle to replace the one I had. I was on the lookout for a Geo/Swift/Firefly, but all the ones in my price range (i.e. not a whole lot) were all rusted out and in generally poor shape. I ended up settling on a minivan, but it gets better mileage than my last one (another minivan), and is around as good as my wife's Sebring.

For me, reducing how far I drive on a regular basis was a whole lot easier than finding a super-duper gas-sipping car. Not even a Smart Car or Prius can match the out-of-pocket costs involved in parking the car and taking the bus.

On top of that, the idea of my old van getting crushed into a cube while it still had a number of good parts on it kinda irked me in a "waste not, want not" kinda way, so the fact that I can pull parts off it for use on my "new" van makes me feel like engaging in a bit of reuse (it is one of the 3 "R"s, after all) offsets the fact that I didn't get a super economy car... though it would've been nice to do, I guess.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I worked it out and we pay $7.30 a gallon here (€1.25/litre).In the US you're still in the land of cheap fuel, diesel is about €1.35/litre here.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I worked it out and we pay $7.30 a gallon here (€1.25/litre).In the US you're still in the land of cheap fuel, diesel is about €1.35/litre here.
The US may be the land of cheap fuel, but it's also the land of long distances between places you might want to go, and in many cases, it's the land where public transit goes to die. :(

Actually... gas around here (Toronto-ish) was up to $1.38 CAN/L the other day, or $5.10 US/gal. The news mentioned that parts of the country are at $1.50 CAN/L, or $5.55 US/gal at current exchange rates. We aren't at Europe's prices yet, but we're getting there.

Odd, that. My impression was that Canadian gas prices used to be closer to the US than they are now. I wouldn't be surprised if our gas prices are the highest of all the oil-exporting countries.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Yeah, food-based gas on a large scale is not only bad for the environment, but it would also limit our food supplies. And we sure like food.
We decided to go with corn, which was idiotic. Brazil uses sugar cane, which is far more efficient. Not saying that we should rely solely on sugar cane - that would cause more deforestation - but we shouldn't rule out biofuels just because tried it the worst possible way.

Perhaps in 5 years, we'll start hearing how coal is going to save the planet!
I already see those commercials. They're paid for by the coal industry.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We decided to go with corn, which was idiotic. Brazil uses sugar cane, which is far more efficient. Not saying that we should rely solely on sugar cane - that would cause more deforestation - but we shouldn't rule out biofuels just because tried it the worst possible way.
If it can be done in a way that actually produces net energy, I think that using the corn stalks, husks and cobs would be just hunky-dory with me.