• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Was Your Beginning? When Is Your End?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In your religion, paradigm, or worldview, when, in your truest nature, was your beginning? When will you end?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This image is my answer. We were born as "drops" from the "ocean", travel through evolution from gas to human form, reincarnate until we enter the path of return and finally merge back into the "ocean" from which we came.

creation.png

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This image is my answer. We were born as "drops" from the "ocean", travel through evolution from gas to human form, reincarnate until we enter the path of return and finally merge back into the "ocean" from which we came.

creation.png

In your view, does one experience "God's creative" as each of these things through evolution, i.e stone, metal, vegetable, worm/insect/reptile, etc.?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I assume beginning means major point in life that defines you?

If so i have at least 5 beginnings.

First was the diagnosis of dyslexia and subsequent remedial measures that took me from that thick one who simply will not learn to earning my first degree some 6 years later.

Second came very soon after the diagnosis, reading the bible and discovering the horrors that define Christianity thus easing my path to break free.

Third came on my 25th birthday when i discovered the pleasure of sex.

Leading to the fourth, pregnancy and the birth of twins when it should not have been possible.

Lastly my descovery that not all people are human (or act like human beings). Learning that i should not give trust freely, my trust must be earned.

Edit: i forgot end

While i im alive and compos mentis i will read, be an atheist, love, love my kids, and distrust anyone until they prove otherwise'

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In your religion, paradigm, or worldview, when, in your truest nature, was your beginning? When will you end?

At conception the poetic reference "the breathe of life" (energy?) moved me into formation and being. Growth, age, and death I go back where I was before-dirt and dust. The breathe of life disperse (for lack of better words), and the spirit/energy of this life is also in my loved ones, acts, and things that I left behind. I live on through their remembrance and I communicate through their ritual and conversation.

My true nature is ever changing/flowing/not fixed. I do have values etc and I don't know if I'd be someone else's "breathe" after I die. If I am, maybe my loved ones can see me in other people, who knows.

Shrugs. I don't know what religion that is. Constant communication in breathe.

Heyo

Veteran Member
5 hours ago, when I awoke from my slumber. That is the time I have an uninterrupted sense of personhood.
54 years ago, which is the earliest time I can remember me being me (at about age 4). That is the time I have an interrupted but non-the-less consistent sense of personhood.
In the same sense I will end when I lose my idea of personhood, either through unconsciousness, death or mental illness like amnesia or dementia.
That idea of self-ness is borrowed from Hofstadter/Dennett's "The Mind's I".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Conception and Death, in that order.

By "you" I assume you mean my mind and identity. If you mean something else, please explain what you mean.
Tom

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Conception and Death, in that order.

By "you" I assume you mean my mind and identity. If you mean something else, please explain what you mean.
Tom

I mean you in your truest nature, whether for you it is the body/mind, spirit, soul, true Self (Atman), or something else.

If your truest nature is the body/mind, you answer is perfectly acceptable. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I realize this thread is only a couple of hours old, but I am surprised at the absence of Abrahamic responses here. I am genuinely interested in their views on the topic.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I mean you in your truest nature, whether for you it is the body/mind, spirit, soul, true Self (Atman), or something else.

If your truest nature is the body/mind, you answer is perfectly acceptable. :)
One thing, and one thing only, am I sure of concerning my true nature( and that of every other living thing).

My best guess is probably wrong. Certainly wrong.

It's the best I can do. But I am certain that puny humans have no important understanding of our "truest nature", whatever you mean by that. We just aren't that smart.
And I'm one of "us". I don't know either.
Tom

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever you perceive your truest nature to be, whether it is the body/mind, spirit, true Self, soul, etc.

I always break out in hives whenever I see the phrase 'true nature' because all too often it is too vague to be a useful topic.

I try to be an intellectual, but I and also human, a mammal, etc.

I began, in one sense, when the sperm and egg joined that produced my genetics.

In another sense, I got bodily independence in early 1963. I have continually changed over time, both mentally and physically, since that time. In many ways I am not the same person I was 20 years ago. So, where's the 'true nature'?

I will probably continue to change intellectually and emotionally until I die (brain death is a good enough definition) and the body will continue to change a good deal after that.

The part that I *value* is the emotional and intellectual part of myself. the body is a convenient substrate for such. But I hesitate to say the intellectual and physical are my 'essence'.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Me, me," started got started about 34 years to the date. But me overall began with an awesomely radical big bang a long time ago.II don't know when it ends though. Hopefully not for a few more decades.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
"Me, me," started got started about 34 years to the date. But me overall began with an awesomely radical big bang a long time ago.II don't know when it ends though. Hopefully not for a few more decades.

Happy Birthday ! (Unless you mean Conception Day)