• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to "provide evidence" making claims? !

Select the ones that agree with you [Q/A for RF, so RF Rules apply]:

• 01: IMO one should not make a spiritual claim refusing to provide evidence

• 02: IMO one should be free to make a spiritual claim refusing to provide evidence

• 03: IMO demanding evidence for (unfounded) claims is my right and/or my duty

• 04: Refusing to provide evidence enhances the chance to make it to my ignore list

• 05: I made claims to see reactions

• 06: I made claims having no evidence

• 07: I never felt irritated when people made claims

• 08: Occasionally I felt some irritation when certain claims were made

• 09: Being on RF helped me to reduce irritation caused by replies of others

• 10: It did happen that I thought "oops, I can't prove this one"...I wish I had not written it

Results are only viewable after voting.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well, in regards to objective reality in itself I am of the tradition of Kant. So you might have missed that in your study of philosophy.

I understand Kant very well, yes he was an important philosopher, but a philosopher and not a scientist. He died over 200 years ago, we have come along way since, and I go with more contemporary science and philosophy. Kant's view of science is old and not practical. Kant's philosophy could not design airplanes nor computers.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/...ntifies pure,requires a metaphysics of nature.
"Kant's very conception of natural science proper thus immediately gives rise to several systematically important questions. First, if the “transcendental part” of the metaphysics of nature can be identified with the results of the Critique of Pure Reason, then the Metaphysical Foundations is a work in special metaphysics. But what exactly is a special metaphysics? In particular, what particular natures or kinds of things could be its object? And how precisely can an empirical concept of such things be given without compromising the necessity required of the pure part of natural science? Second, how is the special metaphysics provided by the Metaphysical Foundations supposed to be related to the transcendental part of the metaphysics of nature that was established in the Critique of Pure Reason? Does the former presuppose the principles of the latter or are they logically independent, but still related to each other in some other way? Another question concerns the method of special metaphysics. Is that method the conceptual analysis (of the notion of matter), the transcendental investigation of the presuppositions of the mathematical science of nature, or something else entirely?"

Last edited:

Milton Platt

When to "provide evidence" making claims? !

On RF when I make a claim "I can hold my breath" till someone imposes "you should provide evidence"
Is this correct? Are there examples of claims which can be made without having to provide evidence?

I could think of a few claims, where the smart ones will think twice before asking evidence
So, what determines if imposing "you should provide evidence" is correct
Where lies the line between "to prove or not to prove"?
Please create examples (with/without evidence)

Notes [also apply to the poll]:
1) This thread is to get clarity on whether or not one is obliged to give evidence when making a claim on RF
2) This thread is not about whether it's called evidence or proof or other semantics
3) To keep it simple let's start with "Spiritual claims" (pros/cons) (*)
4) To keep it simple let's stick to claims made on RF
*) Any info giving better understanding is welcome

One is not obliged to support a claim with evidence, but then one should not expect others to believe said claim without evidence. Therefore, although one can indeed make unsupported claims, it is a waste of time, generally.