• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the ego falls away

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Or any question. This is quandary we find in our human existence; can we reach a level of enlightenment in this life to where questions do not exist?

The souls who are 'there' still have the ability to 'come out' from 'there' for dharmic purposes, like teaching, or mundane things like feeding the physical body. Whereas most people put effort into withdrawing the senses, the egoless have to put effort into finding the senses. (Or so I've been told.)

As long as ego remains as in intellectual concept, the 'I' is still there. It's called anava in one Sanskrit version.

There is a story about my Guru's Guru's Guru. An advaitin in town would prattle on about how there was only one, he wasn't separate, all that stuff. Swami (aforementioned) liked to sneak up behind him, tap him on the back, and get him to turn around and ask, 'Who's there?" Swami would say 'It's you!" indicating for the advaitin, and all around that the intellectual understanding was there, but it hadn't actually sunk in. We can't do it through the intellect.

sealchan

The question that arise is how to explain what happen when the ego is no longer with in what we call the Me Mine, I and so on. It is not possible to understand non self full before the ego has been full detached. But when non self has been understood, it is not easy to explain to those who still cling to a sellf :)

In dreams you can take measure of your egos attitude with respect to the other standard inner voices (shadow/anima-us/etc) on a day to day basis and see to what extent the ego cooperates with the voices of the greater psyche and to what extent the ego is willing to encounter the other, the outer darkness.

sealchan

I have a theory that dreams give us the experience of our egos when the "flood" of sensory input which the ego is strongly adapted two is absent. Perhaps the various standard inner personalities that show up in dreams are actually fragments of the waking ego.

Finding balance at this lower energy psychological state helps one to balance the ego in the depth of the powers of the psyche.

Sky Rivers

The best way I can explain the experience of ego-less-ness is just being...to just be in pure consciousness...no thought...no attachment...to simply be. Existence (Truth) - consciousness - bliss...satcitananda.
What you call “ego death”, I’ve experienced. Looking back, it was a truly horrific state of being. I’m incredibly grateful to be freed from it. I can now, after so long, experience the beauty and fullness of life.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I see it, anyone can "overcome" ego. But only those that make the effort to understand it and work toward a realization of how to "overcome" (though I see it as more of a letting-it-go process) it actual do. :)

The thing here is we have no idea how much ego we have.

Lack of ego in my view is total submission to God. Those that were the embodiments of this submission, are Gods Messengers, those that hold all power.

The greatest of beleivers in these Messengers, even those that have given their lives, testify that they do not have and have not acheived, this level of submission.

On the other hand they have forgone a significant level of ego, but if one thinks they have acheived any level of advanced spiritual practice, then ego has played a part. All Faith and good works are 100% a gift of God, we can choose to partake of those gifts. Ego prevents us in many ways.

Regards Tony

charlie sc

The question that arise is how to explain what happen when the ego is no longer with in what we call the Me Mine, I and so on. It is not possible to understand non self full before the ego has been full detached. But when non self has been understood, it is not easy to explain to those who still cling to a sellf :)
Some might consider this post boastful.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I completely understand Buddhism's understanding of no permanent self. I, in no way, was attem:)pting to refute or undermine that in what I wrote. Just sharing my understanding. :)

I totally understand that :) my answer was only to gain access to the two ways of thinking

That is a funny exchange. My guess is you were being humorous in an ego thread.

When there is reference to I, there is naught but ego, especially if one says they fully understand. :D

I put a question to you both. Just for an example.

If Baha'u'llah is as He claims to be, which in turn tells us that all the Messenger based Faiths are from God, what do you see would prevent us from accepting those claims?

To me it would have to be a significant level of self/ego.

But that is only the start as I see it.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some might consider this post boastful.

It is stating that one has found a level of elightment that others have not yet acheived and that they may have difficulty understanding that level. It can be considered that that is mainly ego speaking.

We are all on this journey of life together, we can consider everyone has the capacity and that each in their own way must strive for and find that capacity.

Regards Tony

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a funny exchange. My guess is you were being humorous in an ego thread.

When there is reference to I, there is naught but ego, especially if one says they fully understand. :D

I put a question to you both. Just for an example.

If Baha'u'llah is as He claims to be, which in turn tells us that all the Messenger based Faiths are from God, what do you see would prevent us from accepting those claims?

To me it would have to be a significant level of self/ego.

But that is only the start as I see it.

Regards Tony

I'm glad our posts amused you.

Without ego, this thread would not exist.

Just sayin'