• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Jesus Was Dead Was God Dead Too?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Nietzsche says God is dead which I agree with, but if the Bible trinity idea is / was true and Jesus died on the cross, staying dead for Easter weekend, surely that means God was dead too. If Jesus was God, and Jesus died, so did God, so how did the World / Universe carry on in his / their absence? If we could survive three days without God maybe we could survive forever without one too
If you read the bible it's easy to see that Jesus did not cease to exist when he physically died. Biblical death comes in two types.

1. Physical death - the body ceases to function but the spirit still exists.
2. Spiritual (or second) death - The spirt is temporarily or permanently separated from God's spirit.

In neither case does our soul cease to exist. God is one being made up of 3 persons. When Christ died he was temporarily separated from the father. However unlike us he had no sin so he could pick up his perfect harmony with God whenever he chose (in this case 3 days).You far oversimplified your question.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know but some people claim that God rose Jesus from the dead, but I would check with one of Paul's epistles on that one, or maybe the Epistle to Hebrews.
If God died on the cross and ressurected himself three days later, it can't be considered dying on the cross much less a sacrifice. Kinda pops a huge hole for people into the trinity thing.

lukethethird

unknown member
If God died on the cross and ressurected himself three days later, it can't be considered dying on the cross much less a sacrifice. Kinda pops a huge hole for people into the trinity thing.

God can die and raise Himself three days later with both eyes closed because He is God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nietzsche says God is dead which I agree with, but if the Bible trinity idea is / was true and Jesus died on the cross, staying dead for Easter weekend, surely that means God was dead too. If Jesus was God, and Jesus died, so did God, so how did the World / Universe carry on in his / their absence? If we could survive three days without God maybe we could survive forever without one too

I believe Jesus didn't die. The Spirit left and returned to the Father ie outside the Body there is no difference between Jesus and the Father other than name.

I believe If one wished to celebrate that God was not in the flesh he might do so But God was operational long before He entered a body, and was not likely to take three day vacation simply because He left the body.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus was God nor more or less than you or I, by biblical standards anyway.

John 10:34, Psalms 82:6, etc... Those particular passages are interesting reading because they recount a story where Jews were about to punish Jesus for claiming to be the son of God, and he re-quoted the Psalms statements to them to clarify that there was scripture to support his claim. Though that scripture doesn't specify that Jesus is the only "Son of God" but rather everyone is. :D

By classical understandings of the Trinity (which are pretty freakin' old) it's something God = Father, Son, and The Holy Spook. However, those things are combined in "God" and not combined in themselves. In essence, God is a composite of these things when they mix but also exists independently. There is also the technicality that God is eternal by Christian standards, so there is no death for that guy. Even Jesus cannot technically die (being part of God)...

My personal spiritual experience seems to back up this information, but I despise using the word soul to describe the situation. (In common parlance, it's something of a poker chip that can be bartered between God and the Devil... laughable) If something is eternal (like that soul) and pure it makes absolutely no sense that it can be corrupted or sold. :D

I believe Jesus was perfectly God wheres we are not.

Luis Marco

i invite you to read URANTIA's account of what happened to JESUS HIMSELF during HIS death, URANTIA (1955) is not a spiritual channeling, there it doesn't come from the Devil. ...

Milton Platt

It gets more silly than that. It means god sent himself to be crucified to appease himself because of rules he himself supposedly put into place.

Faithofchristian

Well it's obvious that you have no understanding in and about the bible.

Jesus himself did not die, only the body of Jesus died. Of course your going to have a hard time understanding this.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Nietzsche says God is dead which I agree with, but if the Bible trinity idea is / was true and Jesus died on the cross, staying dead for Easter weekend, surely that means God was dead too.
I think Nietzsche's "God is dead" argument was referring to the role of God in society.

If Jesus existed at all, he was a mere man, same as everyone.