• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Jesus died.Did his spirit go to the center of the earth?

Frank Goad

When Jesus died.Did his spirit go to the center of the earth?:)

I think yes.Because of these bible verses:

Matthew 12:40

And

Ephesians 4:9

Do you not agree?

If so can you say why with bible
verses?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see how the Jonah story relates to Jesus. And I don't see how that second verse relates to after Jesus' death.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
It simply refers to being beneath the surface, however 'Heart' is unusual. It refers not to depth but to some kind of other quality. methinks

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
In Matthew 12:40 it mentions the heart of the earth.If I was talking about the heart of an apple.I wouldn't say the heart of an apple was it's surface.
Heart means something other than depth. Your heart is where the air and blood touch, so they are where the life in the air becomes life in the blood. I am told that the heart is where the thinking is in scripture cultures, rather than the brain.

If he was focused on the depth then why didn't he say he would be in the feet of the earth or its bowels?

Frank Goad

Heart means something other than depth. Your heart is where the air and blood touch, so they are where the life in the air becomes life in the blood. I am told that the heart is where the thinking is in scripture cultures, rather than the brain.

If he was focused on the depth then why didn't he say he would be in the feet of the earth or its bowels?

That is why he said heart.;)To mean in the middle.So there would be no confusion.At lest that is how I read into it.:)

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
That is why he said heart.;)To mean in the middle.So there would be no confusion.At lest that is how I read into it.:)
Sign of Jonah....sign of Jonah. That makes fuzzy sense. Fish. It might even explain why the Christian symbol is a fish. Thanks for helping me figure that out. I think I'll write a book about it that no one will read.

So my final decision is that when he says heart of the earth he is somehow alluding to the story of Jonah in the fish's belly. Ironic isn't it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
When Jesus died.Did his spirit go to the center of the earth?:)

I think yes.Because of these bible verses:

Matthew 12:40

And

Ephesians 4:9

Do you not agree?

If so can you say why with bible
verses?
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Religious Forums
Jesus meant here that Jesus, I gather, won't die a cursed death on the Cross (which is definitely fake Pauline doctrine, I understand) but Jesus will spend recovery time from the injuries inflicted on the Cross in an earthly tomb. Right?

Regards

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If it was the middle of the earth, that means Jesus was having a blast floating around completely weightless jamming to the tunes of 2001 a Space Odyssey

cataway

hades / hell is the place of destruction . if eaten by a huge fish the body would in deed be destroyed and then turned into fish poop . before that could happen the man was spat out . like wise the grave is also a place of destruction. yes a fish 's gut would do it faster than the grave yet the end results would be the same .

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="Brickjectivity, post: 7708213, member: 41354"]It simply refers to being beneath the surface, however 'Heart' is unusual. It refers not to depth but to some kind of other quality. methinks[/QUOTE]
Yes, as Jesus did not die on the Cross, and he was laid in the tomb by his friends for treatment of his wounds inflicted on his body on the Cross.

Regards

cataway

[QUOTE="Brickjectivity, post: 7708213, member: 41354"]It simply refers to being beneath the surface, however 'Heart' is unusual. It refers not to depth but to some kind of other quality. methinks
Yes, as Jesus did not die on the Cross, and he was laid in the tomb by his friends for treatment of his wounds inflicted on his body on the Cross.

Regards[/QUOTE]
you contradicted your self. BTY he was not hurt he was dead

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In Matthew 12:40 it mentions the heart of the earth.If I was talking about the heart of an apple.I wouldn't say the heart of an apple was it's surface.
I understand, it might be a mistake of the scribe to understand the phenomenon exactly.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

/QUOTE]
Jesus pegged the event with Jonah's event and Jonah did not die in the belly of the fish. Right?

Regards

cataway

Jesus pegged the event with Jonah's event and Jonah did not die in the belly of the fish. Right?

Regards[/QUOTE]
ah but he was in the grave and as he said he would be getting out just as Jonah did . Jonah did not know he was going to be getting out of that fish. he was as good as dead