• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When it Comes to Honesty and Ethics, Trust in Clergy is at an All-Time Low

Skwim

Veteran Member
"What profession has the highest rating in terms of honesty and ethics?

Gallup said today that nurses, once again, top their annual list with 84% of people ranking them positively.

Only 37% said the same thing about clergy members. That’s the lowest number religious leaders have received in 34 years of polling.

ec2j8lsovke2ymmkqgtwdg.png

Just look at this glorious fall from grace:

u2u_eqkbl0cwuc80jwlmra.png
source

Objectively, this is a pretty sad state of affairs. These are people who are supposed to be paragons of honesty and ethics, and yet can't hold a candle to high school teachers, police officers, accountants, and funeral directors. AND, their image continues to head toward the basement.

So, what's going on here? Can going from a 67% to a 37% positive rating, a 45% drop in just 33 years, all be laid on the backs of the abusing clergy, or is there more that goes into the mix?

Last edited:

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

Gallup said today that nurses, once again, top their annual list with 84% of people ranking them positively.

Only 37% said the same thing about clergy members. That’s the lowest number religious leaders have received in 34 years of polling.

source

Objectively, this is a pretty sad state of affairs. These are people who are supposed to be paragons of honesty and ethics, and yet can't hold a candle to high school teachers, police officers, accountants, and funeral directors. AND, their image continues to head toward the basement.

So, what's going on here? Can going from a 67% to a 37% positive rating, a 45% drop in just 33 years,
all be laid on the backs of the the abusing clergy , or is there more that goes into the mix?

OUCH... I agree it pretty sad set of statistics. In many ways I feel sorry for these guys because they get set up. The clergy aren't perfect, their just like all the rest of us, susceptible to sexual, greed & power issues.

Just because a person has a faith and decides to live by those standards, doesn't mean they won't fail. If a local minister sexually assaults a young person its headlines, if a tradesman did the same thing its likely that you'll never hear about it. So the stats are biased because of the underling false assumptions that the public have about church leadership.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It depends...
friars and nuns live a very humble and spiritual life...
as for cardinals...I would draw a merciful veil

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

source

So, what's going on here? Can going from a 67% to a 37% positive rating, a 45% drop in just 33 years, all be laid on the backs of the abusing clergy, or is there more that goes into the mix?

What part of the poll are you involved in? ;)

Ellen Brown

I would be too if I was a Christian, but as we've all read, the bad press is of the church's own doing.

Don't want bad press? Then don't do bad things. Seems pretty obvious to me :shrug:

I wonder if violation of trust is distributed by denomination? Are Catholics worse than Protestants? Are Muslims worse than Christians?

I think that Jews are pretty squeaky clean. Um, well there is that very exclusive bunch who get mad if women stray to their side of the street. I wonder what it is like to be a wife in that sect? There was a Mormon Bishop that nearly got clocked by me but the rest were sweet and loving.

In my dotage, I don't trust anyone. As an old prune, you never know when one of those young bucks will get randy. :)

Trackdayguy

I wonder if violation of trust is distributed by denomination? Are Catholics worse than Protestants? Are Muslims worse than Christians?

I think that Jews are pretty squeaky clean. Um, well there is that very exclusive bunch who get mad if women stray to their side of the street. I wonder what it is like to be a wife in that sect? There was a Mormon Bishop that nearly got clocked by me but the rest were sweet and loving.

In my dotage, I don't trust anyone. As an old prune, you never know when one of those young bucks will get randy. :)

Wow.. That's a sad post. I trust people even though Iv'e been hurt, why because I'd rather get hurt again than be cynic.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's the "source" below the last graph in the left corner.
I was interested in the original story Nurses Again Outpace Other Professions for Honesty, Ethics

I'd add the public adoration of Trump on the part of evangelical clergy to the mix. They are disregarding morality and ethics for political gain.

But I'm also mindful of the "mine is OK the rest are dung" phenomenon when it comes to Congress and I suspect the clergy as well. So I wish Gallup had asked more follow-up questions.

Still, the overall trend is down even adding those factors/questions into the mix. But the "champions" of the list are telemarketers, car sales people and congress at about the same level. As Fearless Leader would say: SAD!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OUCH... I agree it pretty sad set of statistics. In many ways I feel sorry for these guys because they get set up. The clergy aren't perfect, their just like all the rest of us, susceptible to sexual, greed & power issues.

Just because a person has a faith and decides to live by those standards, doesn't mean they won't fail. If a local minister sexually assaults a young person its headlines, if a tradesman did the same thing its likely that you'll never hear about it. So the stats are biased because of the underling false assumptions that the public have about church leadership.
I don't get it though.
They know that God is watching & judging them.
If they do evil, don't they go to Hell for eternal torture?
And yet, they think to themselves....
"OK, I'll have sex with this little boy. I know it's evil.
Even though he tempts me. God will know.
And burning forever in the lake of fire is worth it."

Trackdayguy

I don't get it though.
They know that God is watching & judging them.
If they do evil, don't they go to Hell for eternal torture?
And yet, they think to themselves....
"OK, I'll have sex with this little boy. I know it's evil.
Even though he tempts me. God will know.
And burning forever in the lake of fire is worth it."

I’m not sure what religious clap trap you have heard my friend, but that is a million miles from a loving and compassionate God that Jesus refers to. Maybe it’s time to update some of those old prejudicious.

Merry Christmas

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’m not sure what religious clap trap you have heard my friend, but that is a million miles from a loving and compassionate God that Jesus refers up.
I read & hear diverse views on people's God. Regarding
the clergy who do believe that Hell is punishment, I still
don't understand how they can succumb to temptation
when facing certain terrible consequences.

Trackdayguy

You can only answer that by looking at yourself. If you always do what is right then your a better man than me. Because most of us know what’s right, yet we all continue to do things that compromise our own integrity

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I read & hear diverse views on people's God. Regarding
the clergy who do believe that Hell is punishment, I still
don't understand how they can succumb to temptation
when facing certain terrible consequences.
I understand weaknesses having some myself. For years upon end I knew smoking might kill me early but kept at it. And alcoholics and other drug users keep on using even intellectually knowing what they are doing to themselves because they feel powerless against the urges.

Still, it would be better if they would not pretend to be what they are not.