• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is enough, enough?

pearl

Next Wednesday, pending a last-minute stay, Lucio, 52, will be executed for a crime that significant evidence suggests she did not commit. Not only that, but significant evidence also suggests that the crime for which she will be strapped onto a gurney and injected with lethal drugs never happened in the first place.

Five of the jurors who convicted Lucio have also called for a reprieve. They argue that if they had known at the time what has since emerged the outcome would have been different.

Among those calling for a stay of execution are a bipartisan group of 103 members of the Texas legislature – including 32 Republican members of the House and eight Republican state senators. That is an extraordinary display of cross-party unity for such a toxically divided assembly.
Texas mother set for execution – yet evidence suggests she did not kill her child | US news | The Guardian

Nimos

Next Wednesday, pending a last-minute stay, Lucio, 52, will be executed for a crime that significant evidence suggests she did not commit. Not only that, but significant evidence also suggests that the crime for which she will be strapped onto a gurney and injected with lethal drugs never happened in the first place.

Five of the jurors who convicted Lucio have also called for a reprieve. They argue that if they had known at the time what has since emerged the outcome would have been different.

Among those calling for a stay of execution are a bipartisan group of 103 members of the Texas legislature – including 32 Republican members of the House and eight Republican state senators. That is an extraordinary display of cross-party unity for such a toxically divided assembly.
Texas mother set for execution – yet evidence suggests she did not kill her child | US news | The Guardian
Don't know the case, but from that article it does appear that some very bad justice system is at work.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The articles I've seen say both left and right are trying to stop her execution.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The 21st century science is able to distinguish bruises due to an accidental fall from the bruises due to violence. To hitting.
Unless the medical expertise is false.
If it is flawless, there is not much to say.

So...if the autopsy stated that the child was murdered, she was murdered.

That said...I strongly am against the death penalty.
And I even started a thread about it. Some months ago

Hands off Cain

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Me too.
I can't see killing other human beings as a form of justice.
Killing is also is a form of protection. It eliminates further danger.

Killing has to be done sometimes, but only in extreme cases imo.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

It is up to the governor. This is why the governor has the ability to grant pardons. The US president may also be able to pardon. The justice system is Humpty Dumpty, and all of the senators and reps can't put Humpty back together again. They can't get anything done. This is up to the governor. Another possible source to appeal to would be the state bar.

pearl

The 21st century science is able to distinguish bruises due to an accidental fall from the bruises due to violence. To hitting.

Not always. Apparently the child was not unconscious after the 'fall', a possible concussion, and the mother didn't see the emergency until it was too late. Either way its better to err on the side of caution.
Several years ago we had much the same set of circumstances, a young mother accused of killing her child, and after several hours of police questioning she gave in an confessed. Some years later the case was reviewed she was released.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Of course, cops serve justice by coercing even
false confessions from people. Does it really
matter if they get the wrong person? It's justice
because someone is found guilty & punished.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Although I'm in favor of capital punishment, I think it should only be used for murderers who are for sure guilty. IOW the standard is higher than "beyond a reasonable doubt." I especially am against executing those convicted solely on the basis of eyewitness testimony, since witnesses are notoriously unreliable. But certainly, if you find the bodies of 16 little kids buried in a guy's back yard, such a person should indeed be executed.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I think that most people believe what they believe because they believe it to be the truth. And life is much more smooth when people can agree on the truth. Look how divided the US is with Americans unable to agree whether Biden won the Election or not. In addition to the simple peace of mind that agreement brings, I think people are also driven by empathy -- most people want others to be engaged with reality.

I think that I'm a rare bird in that I always have a red flag up in the back of my mind that I may be wrong about things. That's just not typical.

pearl

I think that I'm a rare bird in that I always have a red flag up in the back of my mind that I may be wrong about things. That's just not typical.

I wonder how often this 'red flag' is raised in the mind of the jurors or have made up their mind according to something else. I think its more typical than you think to 2nd guess yourself. I never wanted to falsely accuse my kids and there were times when I should not have 2nd guessed myself.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Although I'm in favor of capital punishment,
I'm not as there are other alternatives in today's day & age. As one Methodist minister that I know said "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?".