• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When, if ever, does Someone Owe You $1000 Because they Lied to You

Heyo

Veteran Member
Suppose I lie to my friend about a matter of importance to him. That is, I knowingly tell him a falsehood. Now further suppose he proceeds to rely on that falsehood to make a crucial decision, and that decision costs him $1000 dollars that he would not otherwise have lost.
So, you tell your friend that your cousin has a used car to sell, a bit old but technically in good condition. You get some kickback from your cousin. Your friend trusts you and buys the car which breaks down after a week.
Am I now for any reason obligated to compensate him $1000 in whole or part? If so, what is that reason?
Depending on where you live, that could be seen as false advertising and you'd be legally accountable.
You'd be at least morally responsible and should pay him back (or hold your cousin accountable and make him pay your friend back).
What, if anything, changes if the person is not my friend, but is still from my community?

Does anything change if the person is neither my friend nor from my community, but is still a human?
That changes the situation indeed.
I assume that a friend is generally a trustworthy person. So the blame is on him if he betrays me. With some other person it is on me to first check if s/he is trustworthy. If you buy a car because Donald Trump says it's a good idea, it is 100% on you. You should know better.