• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I stop thinking then I really am

atanu

Premium Member
Descartes said “I think therefore I am”. Yogis say “When I stop thinking then I really am”.

Below is a nice video on consciousness and meditation. I recommend listening till the end when the speaker takes audience through a nice brief experience.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I enjoyed the listening to the presentation itself and found the material useful, but I didn't find much use (it didn't appear anyone else really did either) in the "meditation" segment. I think I would have gone the neti-neti route for the meditation if I was the one giving the presentation in order to help the audience better understand what consciousness is. I probably would have extended it beyond two minutes as well, but I understand the time constraints. I also would have selected different music...something without vocals, or no music at all.

atanu

Premium Member
I enjoyed the listening to the presentation itself and found the material useful, but I didn't find much use (it didn't appear anyone else really did either) in the "meditation" segment. I think I would have gone the neti-neti route for the meditation if I was the one giving the presentation in order to help the audience better understand what consciousness is. I probably would have extended it beyond two minutes as well, but I understand the time constraints. I also would have selected different music...something without vocals, or no music at all.

I agree. But probably neti neti is a bit more abstract? I don’t know. I had a calm pleasant feeling. But nothing memorable. May be for some of the first timers the talk and short experience was okay.

Shantanu

Truth is the final frontier, not Consciousness per se. Although one could say that Truth Consciousness is the final frontier to break through and unravel the mysteries of the universe.

atanu

Premium Member
Truth is the final frontier, not Consciousness per se. Although one could say that Truth Consciousness is the final frontier to break through and unravel the mysteries of the universe.

How will one know what is truth without consciousness? All things known directly or through report are known in consciousness only. That is Narayana for Vaisnavas, Rudra foe Saivas, and Brahman for all Hindus.

Shantanu

How will one know what is truth without consciousness? All things known directly or through report are known in consciousness only. That is Narayana for Vaisnavas, Rudra foe Saivas, and Brahman for all Hindus.
Consciousness also generates delusions. For truth one needs to practice yoga to sift out the delusions. This is done through employing science and when science fails to provide answers, one turns to God in one's consciousness to provide the truth on reality that sustains us individually. If one has found that God exists as a personal God, one surrenders to God in all one's dealings. A simple device can be used to surrender to God. I do so using a digital clock that I consult as God in that when the digital clock shows '7' (eg 1.15, 2.41, 3.04, 4.21, 5.02, 6.10, 7.00, 8.08, 9.25, 10.33, 11.32, 12.04,13.30, etc) it means God is saying something to the devotee in terms of actions that are required to aid one's survival in dignity. Because God exists within us He will take one to the clock at precisely the right moment to get the correct answer to whatever is bothering the individual. I have used this means to withstand State-organised persecution in the United Kingdom. This is how Truth Consciousness works.

ajay0

If I stop thinking , I might have some developing issues.

The focus of the thread is to equate identity with the Self or Awareness rather than with the thinking or emoting process.

Eckhart Tolle had similarly stated in this regard...

“The philosopher Descartes believed he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking. The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind.”