• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I Die

When I die I don't want a standard funeral. I would like a sky burial. A sky burial is when your carcass is cut up into chunks and left out on a cliff or mountain top for the birds or other animals to devour. The whole idea of my carcass giving subsistence to others and being recycled intrigues me. In a way I view it as eternal life given that the stuff that made me will be recycled and recycled over and over again. So what do you guys want to happen when you die? Any plans for your funeral?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Burn me and bung the ashes in a hole in the wall. The ways to dispose of human bodies is somewhat limited in france

My atoms will continue, will become part of future life. In time will be blown i to space as our sun expands and dies. May help another son to form and shine light onto a new planet to help nurture new life.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'd like my corpse harvested for any tissues or organs that may benefit other people. Lungs, kidneys, heart, liver, retinas, etc. etc.

I would then want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered at a certain place near to where I was born

People who are likely to out-live me have been informed of this

But I do like the idea of having a sky burial, but the thing is with that is that there are no mountains near to where I live so I don't think that it would be practical

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd like to be cremated. Some of my ashes on my aunt/grandmother's grave. Some in a clean forest or clean river. The rest held by my mother just in case I die before her.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When I die I don't want a standard funeral. I would like a sky burial. A sky burial is when your carcass is cut up into chunks and left out on a cliff or mountain top for the birds or other animals to devour. The whole idea of my carcass giving subsistence to others and being recycled intrigues me. In a way I view it as eternal life given that the stuff that made me will be recycled and recycled over and over again. So what do you guys want to happen when you die? Any plans for your funeral?
I dont have any wish or requirements after i left this earthly life.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm an organ donor, so there's that. I would also like to be used as a cadaver for med students, or as a body on a body farm.

Anything beyond that, meh. Whatever costs the least to dispose of, I'm fine with.

I'm assuming my family would want to bury me so they'd be able to visit my grave. I'm fine with that. I'd prefer not to have a christian burial, but I'm ok with getting one if it were to happen. One's funeral and burial shouldn't really be about the dead person, but about the people left behind, imo.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife & I are going to be cremated and then put in a cremation niche near her parent's crypt. We simply don't want to take up much space or spend a lot of money, but we do want a place for our kids to visit as we're a very close-knit family.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I want to be turned into a tree a la Capsula Mundi: Capsula Mundi Capsula Mundi - The biodegradable urn to become a tree after death

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I posited a sky burial just the other day in a thread somewhere. For me, I mean. When I'm dead.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They may do with my body as they see fit. I wont need it anymore.

A Vestigial Mote

I've made comments to the effect of cremation, but there is something to be said for the "recycling" idea.

That idea in your OP also made me stop and think... we modern humans will have consumed large quantities of nutrients for our entire lives, only to actually (potentially) "give back" after death, if our body becomes the sustenance of some other creature(s). And otherwise, we even crap in receptacles and dispose of a great deal of biological waste (discarded food, carcasses and things other creatures might benefit from) by putting it in landfills - or at least "away" from where what we consider "pests" might reach it. Our bodies become a tiny meal for an insignificant fraction of the rest of the living world... and otherwise most of everything we did our entire lives was hoard and waste - probably unless we were specifically attempting to do otherwise.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Donate my body to science or medical research/training, and family and friends can hold a potluck at a park.
If my ashes are retrieved, mix them with potting soil and grow a cannabis plant out of it, just for ****s and giggles.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

In the big scheme of things, we all die and return to the earth, (the elements out of which we are made.)

The problem with human bodies in this 21st century is that we are so full of preservatives absorbed by our bodies from the processed foods we eat, that our corpses are not breaking down at the rate that they were designed to do.

The idea of rotting in a box is not appealing to me.....nor does the idea of being chopped up as critter food. (Imagine a hiker witnessing a bear gnawing on a human leg :eek: )

Cremation seems to be the cleanest and fastest way to convert us into something readily absorbed by nature wherever our ashes end up.

My husband died six years ago and we scattered his ashes in a beautiful place (of his choice) at a rivermouth, which was his favourite surfing spot. His ashes were returned to the ocean and a small unobtrusive plaque was placed on a rock to mark his final resting place. Each year on his anniversary we lay flowers at his plaque and remember him.

The beauty of this place reminds our family of the time coming (according to our beliefs) when he will be restored to life in the promised resurrection....a time when the whole earth will be as beautiful as the place where his ashes were scattered, under the rule of God’s kingdom. (Matthew 6:9-10)

If I die before that time, I will join him in that beautiful place.....and my family will visit both of us and be reminded of the fact that death is not permanent. (Revelation 21:2-4)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No interest at all in what happens to my body when I'm dead. If there's anything useful to anyone else, take it, then whatever is least inconvenient to those who have to deal with the remainder -- do that.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No interest at all in what happens to my body when I'm dead. If there's anything useful to anyone else, take it, then whatever is least inconvenient to those who have to deal with the remainder -- do that.
So you don't mind if we take a plaster cast and sell plastic life-sized copies of you, do you?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Will you be able to arrange that, within the laws of the country you live in?