• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I came here.

Viker

Häxan
I came here for religious debate and discussion. Now that I have pretty much summed up my religious views, or more a lack there of, I feel trapped. I feel like I can't go to the actual religion forums very much any more. I don't hate religion or the religious either. I rather enjoy the more pleasant discourse I have had. :(

I used to love discussing the stuff. But now I'm stuck on discussing or explaining my personal secularist views and personal experience in the non-religious sections. I feel uncomfortable replying much in the others. There's been a time or two I wish I could place input in the DIR's even. I'm going to keep returning, however. I always return. :p

I think I need to just read up on religion even more than ever before. Can any one suggest further reading or another approach to the matters?

Viker

Häxan
I just finished this one.

Amazon.com: Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew (9780195182491): Bart D. Ehrman: Books

I was facinating and I learned a lot, I highly recommend it.

Also, any of Karen Armstrong's books.

Amazon.com: Advanced Search - Karen Armstrong: Books

Lots of material in her books for both discussion and debate.

Best of luck with your search my friend, may you find your path.

Thanks. Will get on it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I came here for religious debate and discussion. Now that I have pretty much summed up my religious views, or more a lack there of, I feel trapped. I feel like I can't go to the actual religion forums very much any more. I don't hate religion or the religious either. I rather enjoy the more pleasant discourse I have had. :(
Its one of the problems when trying to enforce a dichotomy between a secular side and a religious side on the forums. for myself and other members it is a false dichotomy, even during the times that we are caught in this supposed battle field. I may be an atheist technically, meaning I don't subscribe to a belief in the supernatural. but I did join this forum because I have a great interest in religious thought. my original aim here was to discuss religion. not to be an apologist for secularism. so whenever there is a good discussion about religion, I consider it the time that the forum is at its best.
I wish people would see past their elitist need to push their world view as the most logical one, and actually engage in some of the religious topics.
It may be New Testament scholarship, Native American beliefs, Tibetan Buddhism or tales from the aboriginal Dreamtime.
these are all great topics to discuss.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Also, any of Karen Armstrong's books.
Actually, Armstrong is probably one of the last people I would think to recommend - for anything. To say her expertise is questionable, is putting it mildly. She is popular though, I will admit. I suppose people like her rambling, easy to read, writing style that does not tax the brain too hard.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I came here for religious debate and discussion. Now that I have pretty much summed up my religious views, or more a lack there of, I feel trapped.

I can't imagine there is an end to the investigation of ones own religious views. That's what makes the subject so interesting.