1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when I accept evolution do i give up my faith?

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by tarasan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. RedOne77

RedOne77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Yes I do. This is how kinds diversify.

2. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Riboflavin
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,963
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    But you can give some specificity of what is and isn't included in a few specific "kinds", can't you? After all, the Bible provides some lists, as tumbleweed pointed out:

So... you say that the term "kind" is defined based on common descent. Does this mean that you agree with these statements?

- whales share common descent with fish, but not with land mammals.
    - bats share common descent with birds, but not with non-flying mammals.
    - flying insects share common descent with birds, but not with non-flying insects.
    - moles share common descent with lizards, but not with longer-legged land mammals.

Are you okay with all that?

IOW, you have no factual support for the claim that evolution between "kinds" has never been observed?

Do you make this claim?

3. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie

Ratings:
    +1,335
    Since humans and chimpanzees speciated apart 4.1 million years ago, as shown by anthropological and genetic evidence, then would you define primate as a "kind" including humans and apes?

4. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,652
    No problem... I like to help where I can. There are a lot of things people don't think about when they see a skeleton.
    The issue with "kinds" is that, when you actually study the form and function (and genetics) of species you see that they eventually all mush back into common ancestry. There is no real solid line between "canids" and "bears" and so on back though time. True they look very different today, but their ancestors did not. Much like you don't necessarily look like your great great grandparents and your grandchildren won't necessarily look like you.
    The only "kinds" I can figure out are "living things", "viruses/viroids" and "prions". (and even then the lines are blurry as viruses are often made a part of living things through ERV's... so I guess it's just "living things/viruses" and "prions")

wa:do

5. Autodidact

Autodidact Intentionally Blank

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Well if you ever find one, send him or her in. Meanwhile, FAIL.

The world you're looking for is not evolutionist, which is a very specific kind of scientist, it is merely "people who accept evolution," or pro-science people. Please present an example of anyone here who supports ToE using a term they cannot define, or a category without criteria. If you cannot, you should retract this spurious accusation.

You don't believe it because you don't believe it? Nice try, but such a statement is completely circular. If you're saying that God created kinds, and a kind consists of every organism with common ancestry, and the evidence is that every organism on earth shares common ancestry, then you are stuck with ToE, unless you have some EVIDENCE that this is not the case. In order to find evidence in favor of your hypothesis, you would first need to clarify what it is, which so far you have been completely unable to do.

6. Autodidact

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Would you agree that speciation takes place in the manner described by ToE? That is, descent with modification plus natural selection?

7. Autodidact

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Are bats and birds the same kind, or different kinds?

Or are bats a single kind?

8. Gabethewiking

Gabethewiking Active Member

Ratings:
    +34
    How can you claim that this is how kinds diversify when you do not know what a kind is?

9. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,327
    I am guessing he forget to cite who he is parroting....

10. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +17,574
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    No. Personally, I believe evolution fits the Biblical creation perfectly.

11. Gabethewiking

Ratings:
    +34
    So do you believe that Evolution has stopped?
    Or that Humans are the Ultimate and End?

Please explain how you relate to the fact of Evolution as we will be different and not defined s Humans in one million years from now, as well as we existed for only a fraction of the worlds time, it seems a bit racist/discriminatory towards other animals and rather arrogant to claim such an absurd thing.

Do you have any Basis for your belief/claim?

12. classictall

classictall New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can be a good Christian and believe in evolution. Lots of religious people do that

13. RedOne77

RedOne77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I wouldn't say the line of life is blurred for viruses because of ERVs, but because they have genetic material and reproduce; ERVs are more of a product of the properties of viruses than a property itself.

Is this a real question? How can we claim that gravity attracts masses without knowing exactly what gravity is?

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,652
    They only reproduce by hijacking the cellular machinery of cells...
    ERV's are viruses that have been incorporated into the geneome of a living being. It happens because of a property of viruses (their ability to insert themselves into genes to lay dormant) however once they are switched off so they can no longer produce viruses they become something new.
    What is really cool is when parts of the virus gene is still active and codes for a useful protein in the cell. Essentially being 'domesticated' for lack of a better analogy.

This makes the line between the virus and the host all but invisible.

15. Gabethewiking

Ratings:
    +34
    Virsuses are generally not defined as obvious "life" because of their properties. But a hypothetical Question, say that a Virus comes into your body and takes over, intergrates/morphs into you, and becomes you, what is the virus then, which no longer exist? Another life, or you?

16. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,652
    It's an ERV in some cases....but isn't it a wicked interesting question to puzzle over.