• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When exactly was 'Hell' created ? What was God thinking at that time?

rusra02

Premium Member
Why would God want a world where more than peace is involved?
To enjoy peace with God, we must be righteous. Psalm 85:10 links the two together: "Loyal love and faithfulness will meet together;vRighteousness and peace will kiss each other." Wrong desires and conduct lead to strife and fights. I believe Jehovah sets the standard for what is righteous. As he states in Isaiah 48:17,18; "I Jehovah, am your God,The One teaching you to benefit yourself,The One guiding you in the way you should walk. If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

savethedreams

To enjoy peace with God, we must be righteous. Psalm 85:10 links the two together: "Loyal love and faithfulness will meet together;vRighteousness and peace will kiss each other." Wrong desires and conduct lead to strife and fights. I believe Jehovah sets the standard for what is righteous. As he states in Isaiah 48:17,18; "I Jehovah, am your God,The One teaching you to benefit yourself,The One guiding you in the way you should walk. If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

That's what it's hard for me to understand what Christians believe ; God setting a standard means he can choose and/allow what there is to exist or not exist. If I were God I wouldn't have created the world like this nor would I be asking my creations for anything including worship. Nothing I can do with worship if I'm God and self-sufficient, it would be purposeless.

.... In Gods thinking he created Heavens and and rules and he said to himself if my creations don't follow these rules they will be punished. Also he said ; I will create this thing called Life and it will look like this; and only a certain species will be my special ones the rest won't be as important. I will instruct them with feelings and emotions and if they choose the right thoughts and beliefs they will get more life. ...

Why would I believe this God is real? Why would he say these statements ? That's what I'm trying to get honestly. Reason behind my confusion.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Note: I am not debating, merely stating some facts that are relevant to the topic.

God did not create "hell" as that is an English term, and English was not a language until hundreds of years after Jesus' death.

The English translations of the Bible traditionally translate multiple terms from the Hebrew and Greek into a singular term: hell. Those terms are Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus. Unfortunately the KJV butchered those translations and many English versions have kept the original KJV renderings, albeit erroneously.

1. Modern scholars that are not biased will agree that Sheol and Hades simply mean "the grave," nothing more.

2. Gehenna comes from the Valley of Gehinnom, which was an evil place. The god Molech was worshipped there, bodies were burned, children sacrificed, etc. In the NT, whenever Jesus used the term Gehenna, he was using it as an analogy because the people of that era understood what was meant by it.

3. Tartarus is from Greek mythology, and was a pit where the wicked were punished.

You can see where it was incorrect for the 47 KJV scholars (of 1611 AD) to lump all of these into a singular meaning (hell). There are modern translations that have worked to correct the mistakes in the KJV. The imagery of hell as a place of burning and eternal torment comes more from the fictional works of Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost. The Bible (Revelation) only states that three beings will be cast into "the lake of fire" for eternity. Everyone else that is wicked will be destroyed, along with death (the act of dying) and hades (the grave). In other words, paradise will have no more death.

rusra02

Premium Member
That's what it's hard for me to understand what Christians believe ; God setting a standard means he can choose and/allow what there is to exist or not exist. If I were God I wouldn't have created the world like this nor would I be asking my creations for anything including worship. Nothing I can do with worship if I'm God and self-sufficient, it would be purposeless.

.... In Gods thinking he created Heavens and and rules and he said to himself if my creations don't follow these rules they will be punished. Also he said ; I will create this thing called Life and it will look like this; and only a certain species will be my special ones the rest won't be as important. I will instruct them with feelings and emotions and if they choose the right thoughts and beliefs they will get more life. ...

Why would I believe this God is real? Why would he say these statements ? That's what I'm trying to get honestly. Reason behind my confusion.
The world we see today is the result of ignoring God and his righteous requirements. Humans who choose for themselves what is right or wrong have filled the earth with violence, oppression, and misery. God's laws are for our good, both the laws governing natural things and God's moral laws. Parents rightly desire their children to love and respect them. I believe Jehovah desires his intelligent creatures to love him for all he does for us, in return for the love he shows us.
And I believe as our Lifegiver, he rightly decides who merits the gift of everlasting life. (John 3:16) Appreciating all that Jehovah has done for me moves me to want to worship him. I do not feel he is forcing me to do this.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
When and Where is Hell?
Hell can mean Death too. Did God create Death?

First of all, we need to establish which hell are we talking about:
* There is the non-biblical hell teaching of burning forever.
* There is the biblical hell, or temporary grave, for the sleeping dead.

The Bible's hell is mankind's stone-cold temporary grave for the sleeping dead.
Cemeteries are found all over the world, and the definition of cemetery is: sleeping place (R.I.P.)
So, biblical hell ( grave ) is found all over the Earth.

We know plants and insects do die. Can you imagine what the earth would look like if No plants or insects ever died ?
However, the difference is that God purposes that His human creation can gain ( Not death ) but everlasting life. Most people to live forever happy-and-healthy on Earth.

Jesus taught ' sleep in death ' at John 11:11-12; John 11:13-14
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death.
- such as Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; Ecclesiastes 9:5
So, while in the Bible's temporary hell ( grave ) the dead sleep in death until resurrected out of biblical hell. Jesus has the keys to unlock 'hell ' - Revelation 1:18
Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the ' future tense' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....
The ' future tense ' is used because a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection will take place during Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth.
Then, even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
When and Where is Hell?

I'm curious about the Christian/Muslim belief. Do they believe that God created man and created Hell with an intention?

Hell can mean Death too. Did God create Death?

The bible and the Qu'ran isn't clear on this...

It's difficult for me to understand that Christians believe God created death, hell, mankind, and living beings with emotions while some species having free-will and if they believe of form an opinion they will avoid the hell/death that was created....???? This wasn't always clear to me..

As a non Christian, it's a state of mind caused by anxiety and excessive attachments.
And the Christian way rarely makes sense to anyone.
As a former Christian... Christian beliefs when put together are contradictory but unbroken truth for believers who say that the earth is just 6000 years old.

The term "Hell" used today many people understand as the place inhabited by demons, and where the wicked are punished. In reality the Hebrew word used in original did not have such a connotation. In original Hebrew the word sheʼohlʹ corresponds to the word "grave" or "common grave". The place of non- existence, but surely NOT the place of eternal torment.