• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does the United States say to Trump, "Stop this idiotic farce!"

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps you brought up more than you intended.
I addressed what I saw.

Perhaps you misunderstood the context of what i said. So I clarified for you.

I see ideological motivations on both sides.
When Hillary lost, Democrats didn't abandon theirs.
These 2 sides are not entirely different.

There are groups on the Left that are ideologically driven, no doubt. However, the Democratic Party is much less driven by ideology, and more driven by group interest. It has to balance competing desires of a variety of interest groups, not all of whom share the same ideology. This is why national Dem primaries tend to produce centrists like Joe and Hillary rather than Bernie. This is a different dynamic than what occurs on the Right, where a demand for ideological purity takes greater precedence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps you misunderstood the context of what i said. So I clarified for you.

There are groups on the Left that are ideologically driven, no doubt. However, the Democratic Party is much less driven by ideology, and more driven by group interest. It has to balance competing desires of a variety of interest groups, not all of whom share the same ideology. This is why national Dem primaries tend to produce centrists like Joe and Hillary rather than Bernie. This is a different dynamic than what occurs on the Right, where a demand for ideological purity takes greater precedence.
The left has its ideological purity too, eg, pro-abortion, global warming, policing the world.

IMO....
People on the right or the left tend to exaggerate their differences.
I see more similarity in behavior & belief than difference.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The left has its ideological purity too, eg, pro-abortion, global warming, policing the world.

IMO....
People on the right or the left tend to exaggerate their differences.
I see more similarity in behavior & belief than difference.

Yes, the Left has groups that want ideological purity, that's true. They're just not the main players the way they are on the Right.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Thats not whay the OP is about. Its why do people not stop coddling this whiny child throwing a tantrum and instead tell him to shut up and own his defeat like a man. Thats what we whould all be doing, but a large chunk of the nation--including many Republican leaders--are playing along with this farce despite the fact the Toddler-in-Chief has no evidence to support his claims.

I agree but he is an *** and there is nothing we can fo but tune him out. The R senators not calling him out is the most disgraceful aspect of it, IMHO. I guess they are afraid of Trump's tweets.

Regiomontanus

Yes, and there is a simple solution which is to get rid of electronic voting machines. I don't like them. If there was a block chain or I had some kind of encryption key that could be used to check my record I'd be fine with it, but no. I want a paper vote.

Where I voted it is a hybrid; I used a touch screen and then it printed out a copy. What is the point of the machine? Just so they can count faster? It seems like an unnecessary complication. I agree with @Revoltingest - everyone use a crayon (on a scrap, like a Post-it note).

Regiomontanus

I agree with you, except that I think Trumpism will long outlive the man.

Yeah his hardcore followers will keep the faith. But whoever takes on the mantle of leader of the movement, the person will need to be an angry, loud, an obnoxious person. I say that because of a recent poll I read about (citation missing - I can't easily find it now!). It was revealing. Something like 75% of self-described Trump supporters said that their main concern about him gone (phrased something like that) was...that there will not be someone to fight on like he did. I am not even sure what that means. Anyway, the percentage who cited issues was like 15%! So it really looks like a cult of personality to me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I agree but he is an *** and there is nothing we can fo but tune him out. The R senators not calling him out is the most disgraceful aspect of it, IMHO. I guess they are afraid of Trump's tweets.
That last bit, the disgrace of Republicans not calling him out, is really what I was getting at in the OP. I honestly think that there is something important happening, which is implanting the idea that American institutions, like fair elections, are failing, even though there's no evidence for that. And even if that idea is being absorbed primarily only by one side. That sort of thing can have unforseeable effects in future -- things that perhaps when that future comes might be traced back to the events of today, but today you can't predict them.

The institutions are important, but such democratic institutions only work as well as the trust placed in them by the general public.