• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you know your Deity was telling you to do something?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Describe a time you knew God, a spirit you pray to, or your Deity was telling you to do something. I met a homeless guy once who said the Holy Spirit told him I would have a girlfriend soon and it was someone I had my eyes on. It happened like he said. I'd never met the guy before and he was telling me this with confidence that he knew what he was talking about. I had a total of 18$ in my pocket and I knew God was telling me to give it all to him.

There was another time I felt I was supposed to give 200$ to a Church and I was just a part-time janitor who didn't make much.

Have you ever had a time you felt strongly your Deity was telling you to do something you ordinarily wouldn't do?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't really work that way in my tradition because gods I worship do not communicate in English (with exceptions that prove the rule). I don't get "told" to do things. There is no way for them to do that. There are a few exceptions that are personal enough that I'm not going to get into it. It is sufficient to say that a couple of more traditional Pagan gods have acted as guides at certain points in my life journey. In most cases, it was less being "told what to do" and more of a "consider doing this."

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It doesn't really work that way in my tradition because gods I worship do not communicate in English (with exceptions that prove the rule). I don't get "told" to do things. There is no way for them to do that. There are a few exceptions that are personal enough that I'm not going to get into it. It is sufficient to say that a couple of more traditional Pagan gods have acted as guides at certain points in my life journey. In most cases, it was less being "told what to do" and more of a "consider doing this."
Would you agree that sometimes your insights and inspirations have come from the gods?

Raahim

مكتوب
During meditations I would feel a sudden inspiration (answer) to what I was meditating on by using Allah's names or through other people or situations, similar to as OP mentioned.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Though I do not see deep, inexplicable desires, to do a given thing as coming from any god(s) I am sometimes swept up in the fervor that I have to do something, NOW. I've learned to listen to this little voice within because over the years, when I have ignored it, I usually ended up regretting not doing what I felt compelled to do.