• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did potato chips begin?

King Phenomenon

For theist who reject evolution, when do you believe time began? I know evolution doesn't deal with the origin of time and I know that the measurement of time started when we began to use sundials. Also I am aware that all theists don't reject evolution. Just for the sake of conversation I asked the question. Having said all that, if you feel uncomfortable with the word time use whatever you want. ie. The heavens, all things, universe, multi-verse, infinity, infinite space, void, Big Bang, everlasting, creation, great unknown, space time, singularity, unobservable universe or observable universe etc. lol

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
My vote: The perfect potato chip was invented in Cincinnati Ohio.

Pringles - Wikipedia

170px-Pringles.svg.png

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It has an interesting origin, invented by a chef who got mad at a rich customer who complained about the chef's french fries, if I remember correctly.

It has an interesting origin, invented by a chef who got mad at a rich customer who complained about the chef's french fries, if I remember correctly.

That's a myth, they are really a fair bit older than that and appear in earlier cookbooks (although likely pre-date any book they are mentioned in).

exchemist

Veteran Member
For theist who reject evolution when do you believe time began? I know evolution doesn't deal with the origin of time and I know that the measurement of time started when we began to use sundials. Also I am aware that all theists don't reject evolution. Just for the sake of conversation I asked the question? Having said all that, if you feel uncomfortable with the word time use whatever you want. ie. The heavens, all things, universe, multi-verse, infinity, infinite space, void, singularity, unobservable universe or observable universe etc. lol
Chips were invented probably in the Spanish Netherlands, in what is now Belgium, or in Spain, where the potato was first introduced to Europe, and from there became popular in the Low Countries.

The prevailing conjecture (it isn’t really a theory) is that time would have begun when space time first started to expand, at the Big Bang.

Mainstream Christianity accepts science, by the way, including evolution.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It's an urban legend though, cookbooks have the recipe decades earlier.

I remember looking it up in a discussion regarding things Americans claimed they invented but actually did not :D
You know, I heard the story on Paul Harvey's radio show, years ago!

(Hey that all rhymes! Know, show, ago! I'm a poet, and didn't know it!)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It's an urban legend though, cookbooks have the recipe decades earlier.

I remember looking it up in a discussion regarding things Americans claimed they invented but actually did not :D
Interesting! Was there a long list?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
For theist who reject evolution when do you believe time began? I know evolution doesn't deal with the origin of time and I know that the measurement of time started when we began to use sundials. Also I am aware that all theists don't reject evolution. Just for the sake of conversation I asked the question? Having said all that, if you feel uncomfortable with the word time use whatever you want. ie. The heavens, all things, universe, multi-verse, infinity, infinite space, void, Big Bang, space time, singularity, unobservable universe or observable universe etc. lol
Since Psalms 90:2 teaches that God is from everlasting ( No beginning ) than what we know of time is about the creation of material time.
CMBR ( cosmic microwave background radiation ) because of the accuracy of microwaves gives us a clue about material time, material creation.
Since God has No beginning ( from everlasting ) then we can count time both forwards and backwards forever and ever.

Who knows, but potato chips might have been in God's creative mind even before the visible realm of existence came into being just waiting for us to discover such an idea.