• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Did Politics Become a Reality Show?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
“Big Brother does not watch us, by his choice. We watch him, by ours…. When a population becomes distracted by trivia, when cultural life is redefined as a perpetual round of entertainments, when serious public conversation becomes a form of baby-talk, when, in short, a people become an audience, and their public business a vaudeville act, then a nation finds itself at risk; culture-death is a clear possibility.”— Professor Neil Postman
It’s All Fake: Reality TV That Masquerades as American Politics

Did it start with Trump?

I'm thinking maybe Clinton and Lewinsky, as far back as JFK and Monroe?

Was there ever a time when politics was not an entertainment variety hour? Maybe now we just unprecedented up to the minute access to your favorite villains and heroes in the political scene.

I'm also curious if other countries are like this.

I think i'd be nice if the government could just get back to governing and leave the reality show theatrics to MTV.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
After the 90s I guess...

Only Berlusconi was like this.
A guy who likes to brag about sleeping with 1000 hookers a year...just to win votes, because I live in a culture where manwhores are admired as heroes and people vote for them

ps...in my opinion it was all made up...which makes all this more squalid

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It is hard to say when it started. But it has been getting worse. Trump is the first actual reality star producing a TV show from the Oval Office. But maybe it started with Bill Clinton, or maybe it started with that famous Hollywood actor Ronald Regan. Or maybe it started when JFK out preformed Nixon on TV.

Hard to say when it started.

Better question is “when will it end?”

Altfish

Veteran Member
After the 90s I guess...

Only Berlusconi was like this.
A guy who likes to brag about sleeping with 1000 hookers a year...just to win votes, because I live in a culture where manwhores are admired as heroes and people vote for them

ps...in my opinion it was all made up...which makes all this more squalid
What!!!

The Bunga Bunga parties never happened.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Was there ever a time when politics was not an entertainment variety hour? Maybe now we just unprecedented up to the minute access to your favorite villains and heroes in the political scene.

I think there is no clear dividing line but that things have been headed downhill for quite some time. It has picked up speed in recent decades when the lust for power caused war heroes to be denigrated and for people to be conditioned to believe lies no matter how bad.

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but the "big lie" technique from Hitler has taken root here aided and abetted by reinforcing confirmation bias and conditioning people to ignore any facts in dispute no matter how provable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
“Big Brother does not watch us, by his choice. We watch him, by ours…. When a population becomes distracted by trivia, when cultural life is redefined as a perpetual round of entertainments, when serious public conversation becomes a form of baby-talk, when, in short, a people become an audience, and their public business a vaudeville act, then a nation finds itself at risk; culture-death is a clear possibility.”— Professor Neil Postman

Did it start with Trump?

I think i'd be nice if the government could just get back to governing and leave the reality show theatrics to MTV.
It figure went as far back as JFK. His Affairs were hardly a state secret although it seemed people then really didn't give a damn as much as people now. It really ramped up considerably once the Fairness Doctrine was repealed by Reagan. That's when the media went full tabloid .

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Did it start with Trump?

Gingrich's hijacking of special orders was the start of the trend, IMHO.

PureX

Veteran Member
When Did Politics Become a Reality Show?

When the media realized that presenting it that way kept people watching, listening, and looking (... to the advertisements, which is how they get paid). And when the politicians, themselves, realized that people were more likely to vote AGAINST a candidate than they were to vote for one. So demonizing the other guy became the way to get them to vote for their own. And when they all discovered that there really were no consequences, anymore, for any outrageous thing they do.

Audie

Veteran Member

Did it start with Trump?

I kind of think the USA has always gone for performers.

Having a royal family do the performing is a better
system.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
That and the advent of the 24/7/365 cable new cycle. (Remember when CNN routinely just repeated their programming every 3 hours or so? I have no idea if they still do.)
Pretty much, just that these days they have more talking heads that come on and repeat what other talking heads just said.