• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Jesus die?

lostwanderingsoul

Interesting.

It may be helpful to know that according to the mathematics of the Jewish calendar, the Atbash, the first day of Pesach cannot fall on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday.

This strengthens the evidence for Wednesday being the day of the crucifixion. We are told in clear terms that Jesus died on the eve of Passover - 'the preparation of the passover' [John 19:14]

In Luke 23:56 certain women, later named [see Luke 24:10], have just seen Jesus' body laid in the tomb. They prepare spices and ointments straight afterwards. This means that they must have prepared some spices in the time between 3pm and 6pm, before the Passover Sabbath began. Luke 24:1 says that when they turned up at the sepulchre after the sabbath (which I assume is now the weekly Sabbath) they brought 'spices which they had prepared, 'and certain others with them.' These other spices must have been purchased after the weekly Sabbath was over. This may have been possible, given the fact that the weekly sabbath ended at about 6pm on the Saturday.
But they purchased the spices AFTER the sabbath and then rested on the sabbath. Two sabbaths with a day in between.

lostwanderingsoul

Weren't there 7 days between Sabbaths during the Passover?
Why would they buy spices a week in advance. The spices were bought to put on Jesus body and they did not know he would be dead a week in advance. More likely Jesus died on Wednesday. Thursday was a sabbath for the first day of unleavened bread. The women rested on this day. Then Friday they bought and prepareed the spices. Then they rested on the Saturday sabbath. It is the only thing that makes sense and allows three full days and nights in the tomb. I really think someone with a good computer should be able to recreate a calender for a few years around 30 AD to 33 AD and see how the days line up.

sooda

Veteran Member
Why would they buy spices a week in advance. The spices were bought to put on Jesus body and they did not know he would be dead a week in advance. More likely Jesus died on Wednesday. Thursday was a sabbath for the first day of unleavened bread. The women rested on this day. Then Friday they bought and prepareed the spices. Then they rested on the Saturday sabbath. It is the only thing that makes sense and allows three full days and nights in the tomb. I really think someone with a good computer should be able to recreate a calender for a few years around 30 AD to 33 AD and see how the days line up.

I honestly don't know, but I do know the spice trade from Yemen to Palestine was HUGE. Frankincense and myrrh were used to anoint the dead. There is a story somewhere about the huge quantities Herod imported..

Audie

Veteran Member
A day is defined as a period of darkness followed by an equal period of Light, whether on Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune of Pluto..

Jesus died at 3 PM on Thursday after a 3 hour period of Darkness from 12 noon to 3 PM.

The three hour period of light, before being buried at dusk, being day one: Friday night--night one, Friday day---day two, SATURDAY NIGHT----Night two----- Saturday, day three, Sunday night----night three.

Three days and three nights. But the question was not, "On which day of the week did Jesus die," but did he die on the day of Passover or the first day of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread.

Ah so you figures the earth was created in 144 hours.

Audie

Veteran Member
What do you think caused a shadow to cover the city of Jerusalem for three hours, before the mountains in that area were rocked and shaken?

Did you hear about the young Eskimo girl who spent the night with her boy friend and woke up next morning, six months pregnant.

BTW, The question was; "Did Jesus die on the day of Passover, or on the first day of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread?"

If you are not interested in sticking to the OP, then we'll catch you later in some other thread.
Recognizing of course that this is a thin try at humour,
do you think this is an accurate representation of
day and night in the arctic?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt that you would understand. Have you read the previous posts?

I’ll thank you to not insult my intelligence with ad hominem doublespeak.

I’ve asked you the same question twice now. If you are unable to or are simply refusing to answer, we can be done with this discourse.

Redemptionsong

But they purchased the spices AFTER the sabbath and then rested on the sabbath. Two sabbaths with a day in between.

Given that Wednesday is the most likely day of crucifixion, you are probably correct about there being a day between the two sabbaths. Effectively it would mean three whole nights and three whole days of entombment (which is a more exact fulfilment of Jonah's sign).

I have not been able to find the passage that says that the women purchased the spices and then rested on the sabbath.

lostwanderingsoul

I’ll thank you to not insult my intelligence with ad hominem doublespeak.

I’ve asked you the same question twice now. If you are unable to or are simply refusing to answer, we can be done with this discourse.
OK it's a deal. Many people believe Jesus died on Friday afternoon and rose from the tomb Sunday morning. But Jesus said he would be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. This is not possible from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. So a few believe he died on Wednesday. No one has offered any real PROOF. Just because some churches believe this is not PROOF. We are looking for any PROOF of exactly when Jesus died. That is the title of the thread and what is being debated. Do you have any PROOF to offer? Not just that it is called Good Friday. That is a name made up by people and does not prove anything. We would love to have your PROOF if you have any. If you need any more information on who Jesus is or what he did we will be happy to supply it. But remember we are looking for proof. What exactly is meant by "three days and three nights"? Could it be "part" of three days and three nights or is it a full 72 hours? And I am afraid I do not know what ad hominem doublespeak is, so I guess you are more intelligent than me.

lostwanderingsoul

Given that Wednesday is the most likely day of crucifixion, you are probably correct about there being a day between the two sabbaths. Effectively it would mean three whole nights and three whole days of entombment (which is a more exact fulfilment of Jonah's sign).

I have not been able to find the passage that says that the women purchased the spices and then rested on the sabbath.
Try Mark 16:1 After the sabbath the women purchased spices. And Luke 23:56 They prepared the spices and rested on the sabbath. I am so glad to find someone who agrees that Wednesday is the most likely day of crucifixion. There are very few around who even consider this. They have been so brainwashed by the major churches that they won't even consider other possibilities. Thank you.

Redemptionsong

Try Mark 16:1 After the sabbath the women purchased spices. And Luke 23:56 They prepared the spices and rested on the sabbath. I am so glad to find someone who agrees that Wednesday is the most likely day of crucifixion. There are very few around who even consider this. They have been so brainwashed by the major churches that they won't even consider other possibilities. Thank you.

I have above my desk a quotation from Deuteronomy 32:4. It reads, 'He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.'

I diligently search for understanding, believing the Word of God to be TRUTH!

Which leads me on to the bit about the spices and the women at the tomb! The women in Mark 16:1 bought (purchased) sweet spices and then (v.2) went to the tomb. There is no mention of rest on the sabbath.
Luke 23:56 mentions the return of the women from laying the body in the tomb, followed by preparation of spices and ointments. Then they rested for the sabbath. Nothing is said about purchasing spices, only preparing what they already had. Luke 24:1 says that when they turned up at the tomb after the sabbath they had both the prepared spices and 'certain others with them' i.e. those purchased AFTER the sabbath.
It may have been that the preparation of certain spices took place before the sabbath and the purchase of more spices took place after the sabbath.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
OK it's a deal. Many people believe Jesus died on Friday afternoon and rose from the tomb Sunday morning. But Jesus said he would be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. This is not possible from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. So a few believe he died on Wednesday. No one has offered any real PROOF. Just because some churches believe this is not PROOF. We are looking for any PROOF of exactly when Jesus died. That is the title of the thread and what is being debated. Do you have any PROOF to offer? Not just that it is called Good Friday. That is a name made up by people and does not prove anything. We would love to have your PROOF if you have any. If you need any more information on who Jesus is or what he did we will be happy to supply it. But remember we are looking for proof. What exactly is meant by "three days and three nights"? Could it be "part" of three days and three nights or is it a full 72 hours? And I am afraid I do not know what ad hominem doublespeak is, so I guess you are more intelligent than me.

If we are looking for “proof” of when Jesus died, shouldn’t we first have “proof” he existed to begin with? Without this, any argument of when he died is mere speculation and conjecture.

I offered no “proof” in my initial (or subsequent) response, nor was it my intent to imply that I had any. I merely replied with what is generally accepted in Christianity.