• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Jesus die?

sooda

Veteran Member
So why did Jesus say he would be in the tomb for three full days and nights? Everybody says it just means parts of three days and nights but that is not what Jesus himself said. And he said the three days and nights would be the only proof of who he was. So most people call him a liar and do not believe what he said.

Where did Jesus say that?

lostwanderingsoul

Matthew is talking and this is really silly.. Jonah is a comic novella about xenophobia.. It doesn't even pretend to be history.
In my Bible it is printed in red which means it is Jesus words. You may be one of those who call Jesus a liar but I prefer to believe him.

sooda

Veteran Member
So??? What does that mean? Maybe he had a good memory. Very interesting that someone who claims to be Christian does not believe the Bible or the words of Jesus. May I ask where do you get your beliefs?

There are LOTS of times when the author reports what Jesus said when NO ONE WAS Around.

Are you afraid to question the Bible?

There are lots of things in the Bible I don't believe. I know the global flood is a myth.. so is Exodus. Jonah is a comic novella. Joshua's wars are a lie. Solomon never had a grand, wealthy empire... and Jerusalem had a population of less than 2000.

lostwanderingsoul

There are LOTS of times when the author reports what Jesus said when NO ONE WAS Around.

Are you afraid to question the Bible?

There are lots of things in the Bible I don't believe. I know the global flood is a myth.. so is Exodus. Jonah is a comic novella. Joshua's wars are a lie. Solomon never had a grand, wealthy empire... and Jerusalem had a population of less than 2000.
You will need to give your sources. Are you familier with Jewish Sabbaths? Did you know there are two different kinds of Sabbaths? There is the regular weekly Sabbath which is always from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. But there is a completely different kind of Sabbath. Annual Sabbaths only occur once a year and are not always on Saturday. They can be any day of the week.There is a verse in the Bible that says some women bought spices AFTER the Sabbath. Another verse says they prepared the spices and then rested on the Sabbath. How could they prepare the spices before they bought them? Well suppose the Passover Sabbath was on Thursday. They bought the spices on Friday and prepared them and then rested on Saturday. Guess what? Wednesday evening to Saturday evening is three days and nights. I am not afraid to question the Bible or my beliefs but I look for answers to things I do not understand. I do not simply pick things that I believe and throw out the rest. And I do not believe something because some big fancy church teaches it. If you can show any one document that says Jesus died on Friday, I will give it my complete attention. Oh, not something some religious person wrote a hundred years ago because his religion taught it to him.

sooda

Veteran Member
You will need to give your sources. Are you familier with Jewish Sabbaths? Did you know there are two different kinds of Sabbaths? There is the regular weekly Sabbath which is always from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. But there is a completely different kind of Sabbath. Annual Sabbaths only occur once a year and are not always on Saturday. They can be any day of the week.There is a verse in the Bible that says some women bought spices AFTER the Sabbath. Another verse says they prepared the spices and then rested on the Sabbath. How could they prepare the spices before they bought them? Well suppose the Passover Sabbath was on Thursday. They bought the spices on Friday and prepared them and then rested on Saturday. Guess what? Wednesday evening to Saturday evening is three days and nights. I am not afraid to question the Bible or my beliefs but I look for answers to things I do not understand. I do not simply pick things that I believe and throw out the rest. And I do not believe something because some big fancy church teaches it. If you can show any one document that says Jesus died on Friday, I will give it my complete attention. Oh, not something some religious person wrote a hundred years ago because his religion taught it to him.

The Bible itself is proof there was NO Exodus and NO global flood.

I'm not Jewish and I don't care about spices. Traditionally it good Friday to Sunday morning or about 38 hours. I don't care. Do you have some documented claim to the contrary?

lostwanderingsoul

The Bible itself is proof there was NO Exodus and NO global flood.

I'm not Jewish and I don't care about spices. Traditionally it good Friday to Sunday morning or about 38 hours. I don't care. Do you have some documented claim to the contrary?
Seems to me a Christian should care. Good luck when you come face to face with Jesus and he knows you called him a liar. Tradition is the worst way to find truth.

The Anointed

Please show the Jewish calendar that proves this. Most people are not even sure exactly what year Jesus died. Let alone the exact day of the week.

Do you accept the Holy Scriptures which state that Jesus, ate the Passover meal with his disciples, where he substituted the bread and wine which was symbolic of the body of God's sacrificial lamb, in the evening which was the beginning of the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover, which they held on the first day of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread, which was the 15 day of their first month.

Do you accept that it was after the Passover meal, while in the darkness of the Garden, that guards came with lanterns and arrested him, and took him to the Jewish authorities for questioning, after which they took him to Pilate, Where at midnight, (The 6th hour of the 12 hours of darkness on the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover.) He was sentenced to death.

John 18 28; RSV; " Then they led Jesus from the house of Ca′iaphas to the praetorium. It was early. They themselves did not enter the praetorium, so that they might not be defiled, but might eat the Passover." And they didn't eat their Passover until the sun had set of the day of preparation to their Passover, which was the day .
when the Pascal Lambs including Jesus, were killed.

Do you accept that he was nailed to the cross on the third hour of the 12 hours of daylight, and at the 6th hour of daylight (Noon) darkness covered the land for three hours, until the 9th hour (3PM) of the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover, when Jesus gave up his spirit.

lostwanderingsoul

Do you accept the Holy Scriptures which state that Jesus, ate the Passover meal with his disciples, where he substituted the bread and wine which was symbolic of the body of God's sacrificial lamb, in the evening which was the beginning of the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover, which they held on the first day of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread, which was the 15 day of their first month.

Do you accept that it was after the Passover meal, while in the darkness of the Garden, that guards came with lanterns and arrested him, and took him to the Jewish authorities for questioning, after which they took him to Pilate, Where at midnight, (The 6th hour of the 12 hours of darkness on the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover.) He was sentenced to death.

John 18 28; RSV; " Then they led Jesus from the house of Ca′iaphas to the praetorium. It was early. They themselves did not enter the praetorium, so that they might not be defiled, but might eat the Passover." And they didn't eat their Passover until the sun had set of the day of preparation to their Passover, which was the day .
when the Pascal Lambs including Jesus, were killed.

Do you accept that he was nailed to the cross on the third hour of the 12 hours of daylight, and at the 6th hour of daylight (Noon) darkness covered the land for three hours, until the 9th hour (3PM) of the day of preparation to the Jewish Passover, when Jesus gave up his spirit.
I asked what day of the week. Do you have anything that says Jesus died on Friday? And I do not mean something written by a minister or priest in modern times because that was what his religion taught him.If you are in fact a Bible believer it should be easy to find a verse that says Friday.

sooda

Veteran Member
Seems to me a Christian should care. Good luck when you come face to face with Jesus and he knows you called him a liar. Tradition is the worst way to find truth.

Why? Do you think I could stand up and say I believe in a global flood when I know its didactic literature NOT history? Should I lie to myself and say "sure Jonah sat in a fish's belly for three days"?

Who would demand such insanity? The ancient Jewish sages knew the truth.

sooda

Veteran Member
I asked what day of the week. Do you have anything that says Jesus died on Friday? And I do not mean something written by a minister or priest in modern times because that was what his religion taught him.If you are in fact a Bible believer it should be easy to find a verse that says Friday.

The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely between AD 30 and 33 either on a Friday or a Wednesday. I don't think you're going to get much closer than that.

lostwanderingsoul

Why? Do you think I could stand up and say I believe in a global flood when I know its didactic literature NOT history? Should I lie to myself and say "sure Jonah sat in a fish's belly for three days"?

Who would demand such insanity? The ancient Jewish sages knew the truth.
Very strange ideas for one who claims to be Christian. There is a verse in the Bible that tells us to "prove all things." But that's right
The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely between AD 30 and 33 either on a Friday or a Wednesday. I don't think you're going to get much closer than that.
Maybe there is hope yet. I tend to like the idea of Wednesday. That allows for the three days and nights Jesus spoke of. Most people say it was Friday because the next day was a Sabbath. But as I said in an earlier post, there are two different kinds of Sabbaths. One kind occurs every week on Saturday. The other occurs once a year and can be any day of the week. I do not claim to be right and do not want anyone to believe something just because I say it. But I want to look at details and try to provr the things I believe. I only hope to get others to investigate and prove the things they believe. Please at least see if what you believe can be supported by the Bible. As a Christian, I would expect people to want to be sure they are right. Not just follow what others say or think.

The Anointed

Very strange ideas for one who claims to be Christian. There is a verse in the Bible that tells us to "prove all things." But that's right

Maybe there is hope yet. I tend to like the idea of Wednesday. That allows for the three days and nights Jesus spoke of. Most people say it was Friday because the next day was a Sabbath. But as I said in an earlier post, there are two different kinds of Sabbaths. One kind occurs every week on Saturday. The other occurs once a year and can be any day of the week. I do not claim to be right and do not want anyone to believe something just because I say it. But I want to look at details and try to provr the things I believe. I only hope to get others to investigate and prove the things they believe. Please at least see if what you believe can be supported by the Bible. As a Christian, I would expect people to want to be sure they are right. Not just follow what others say or think.

You believe that Jesus came out of the grave as the sunset on Saturday, what did he do during the 12 hours of darkness of Sunday night, before he appeared to the women at his empty tomb early next morning?

sooda

Veteran Member
You believe that Jesus came out of the grave as the sunset on Saturday, what did he do during the 12 hours of darkness of Sunday night, before he appeared to the women at his empty tomb early next morning?

Are you saying Jesus rose from the grave on Monday morning?

The Bible seems to be didactic literature, apocalyptic poetry, letters and novellas like Jonah and Esther.. I am pretty sure its not history and I don't think it was intended as such. It fails utterly as science or history.

Are you willing to believe Adam and Eve are an actual account of the first humans? If not, do you think it still has value and purpose?

18 March, 2019 - 00:45 Ed Whelan
Mumbwa Caves: Prehistoric Site in Zambia Sheds Light on Ancient Humans

The caverns were also used for human settlements and the Late Stone Age people who lived there adapted the caves by creating windbreakers and hearths so that they could warm the area at night. It would also have allowed them to cook and have light.

The Anointed

Are you saying Jesus rose from the grave on Monday morning?

The Bible seems to be didactic literature, apocalyptic poetry, letters and novellas like Jonah and Esther.. I am pretty sure its not history and I don't think it was intended as such. It fails utterly as science or history.

Are you willing to believe Adam and Eve are an actual account of the first humans? If not, do you think it still has value and purpose?

18 March, 2019 - 00:45 Ed Whelan

The caverns were also used for human settlements and the Late Stone Age people who lived there adapted the caves by creating windbreakers and hearths so that they could warm the area at night. It would also have allowed them to cook and have light.

sooda wrote...…. Are you saying Jesus rose from the grave on Monday morning?

The Anointed...……. Why! Do you think Monday morning came after Sunday night?

Apparently you have no idea as to the truths revealed in scripture.

sooda

Veteran Member
sooda wrote...…. Are you saying Jesus rose from the grave on Monday morning?

The Anointed...……. Why! Do you think Monday morning came after Sunday night?

Apparently you have no idea as to the truths revealed in scripture.

Did you write this or have you been hacked?

The Anointed said: