• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Jesus die?

lostwanderingsoul

In your scenario, every believer (all sinners) read and interpret the Bible for themselves. Thus they establish their own 'tradition of men.' Look around you at the myriad interpretation even among Protestants. How does this facilitate the finding of truth and Christian unity better than what I proposed? Mind you, I am NOT Catholic.
No one man of any religion should expect everyone to follow his interpretation of anything.

Redemptionsong

In your scenario, every believer (all sinners) read and interpret the Bible for themselves. Thus they establish their own 'tradition of men.' Look around you at the myriad interpretation even among Protestants. How does this facilitate the finding of truth and Christian unity better than what I proposed? Mind you, I am NOT Catholic.

The Bible warns against private interpretation, but invites us to study carefully and seek God's revelation. Jesus said something very interesting on this topic, which is this: 'scripture cannot be broken' [John 10:35].

If we're prepared to study very carefully, we will discover that God provides the answers to our doctrinal difficulties. He does this by reinforcing the truth.

I don't intend to be an apologist for any particular denomination, but I do want to stand up for God's Word. If people are born-again of the Spirit of God, and they study the scriptures with care, then I believe God will enlighten their understanding.

The big problem with the large denominations that don't encourage Bible study, is that they tend to rely on traditions that easily lead people astray. Let's not forget that we've only been gifted with translations of the scriptures in the last few hundred years. Ignorance on the part of priests and ecclesiastical hierarchy was allowed to go unchallenged for centuries. I'm all for having a Bible in my own language that I'm able to study and from which I am able to elicit truth!

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

You are indeed a wise man. I am not sure there is much more to say on this subject right now but there is another thread called "Who will get to Heaven". I have not found scriptures that promise Heaven to anyone. Perhaps you would share some thoughts on that thread. Thanks.

Good to speak with you.
The truth is I'm just another old sinner saved by grace! All the praise must go heavenward.

Redemptionsong

You depend on your interpretation. That can affect others.

Thankfully, the Church as a whole, made up of all denominations, now has the opportunity to voice its understanding on the scriptural revelation provided by God.

Let's not forget that discontent with the Roman Catholic Church began amongst it's own priesthood. Martin Luther was a Catholic priest, and he had the guts to express his own misgivings with the way the Church was headed. Reform was slow in coming, but was inevitable by the sixteenth century. When the Roman Catholic Church failed to reform from within, it became clear that a breakaway was necessary. Hence, Protestantism.

What I find interesting is that when big revivals take place, such as the one led by Billy Graham, the old divisions within the Church often disappear. People from all denominations are drawn together by the power of the Holy Spirit.

lostwanderingsoul

Thankfully, the Church as a whole, made up of all denominations, now has the opportunity to voice its understanding on the scriptural revelation provided by God.

Let's not forget that discontent with the Roman Catholic Church began amongst it's own priesthood. Martin Luther was a Catholic priest, and he had the guts to express his own misgivings with the way the Church was headed. Reform was slow in coming, but was inevitable by the sixteenth century. When the Roman Catholic Church failed to reform from within, it became clear that a breakaway was necessary. Hence, Protestantism.

What I find interesting is that when big revivals take place, such as the one led by Billy Graham, the old divisions within the Church often disappear. People from all denominations are drawn together by the power of the Holy Spirit.
I remember seeing some of Billy Graham's shows on TV, We really go back a ways. He was a great preacher.

Redemptionsong

Billy Graham passed away in February 2018, I believe, at the grand old age of 99. He managed to post a final message on You Tube, still calling on people to look to the cross!