• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Jesus become Christ?

Pah

Uber all member
Let us assume that it was the event when Jesus became the Son of God.

Romans 1:4

and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

Paul says that the God named his Son by the resurrection, that the man Jesus, descendent of David, whose father was a descendent of David, (off topic:: the immaculate conception negates the role of Joseph in siring a son, by the way, and the lineage itself is discordant in Matthew 1 and Luke 3).

Matthew and Luke both fix the event at the conception by the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 1:18-21
18. This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19. Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[3] because he will save his people from their sins."

Luke 1:26-35
26. In the sixth month [pah: in the pregnancy of John the Baptist’s mother], God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27. to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
29. Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33. and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
34. "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"
35. The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

The Son of God was conceived by the Holy Spirit

Mark 1
9.At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10. As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

Mark introduces the idea that the Baptism of Jesus was when God called Jesus his son

John 1:1-2
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2. He was with God in the beginning.

John says that Jesus was always the Christ

It must be admitted that, taken altogether, these writings may not be mutually exclusive (off topic: except for the genealogy).The striking question is - why did Paul, Matthew, Luke and Mark ignore the thoughts of John and fixate on other events?

What do you mean by " when did he become the christ?"?

Jesus Christ is part of the trinity and therefore has always existed! There are many names and descriptions that have been given to Jesus but all of them are just words people attribute to him. None of them effect him in anyway they are just words to aid our limited understanding of his being.
Anyway that aside i believe that as a being he has always been (as we call him) the Christ.

Chamberlain :talk:

Pah

Uber all member
chamberlain said:
What do you mean by " when did he become the christ?"?

Jesus Christ is part of the trinity and therefore has always existed! There are many names and descriptions that have been given to Jesus but all of them are just words people attribute to him. None of them effect him in anyway they are just words to aid our limited understanding of his being.
Anyway that aside i believe that as a being he has always been (as we call him) the Christ.

Chamberlain :talk:

One need only ask Muslims and the Watchtower Society regarding the Trinity to see that faith in the Trinity is derived from erronous interpretation. The fact is, the Trinity is a concept born of man and not among God's inspired Word.

It would seem that the limited understanding of Christ/Jesus in shown in the varying accounts, inspired of God, for the begginings of Christ. Why did the three of the five apostles write, as God commanded, differing from the other two.

Who would ask Muslims or the Watchtower Society for an answer on an important subject.
Anyway Jesus has nothing to do with them and they are not authoritative sources on the trinity either.
Both of these groups will say whatever they feel. When muslims took over countries they said you could have more wives (because there was more on offer).
Anyway you wanted to talk about christ and you a branching on to debates about the nature of the trinity. Would you just like an argument wherever it is available.
I i think its very bold to say that the people who lived along side Jesus and spent most all of there time listening to him teach in person had a limited understanding of him just because they couldn't accurately describe a concept that cant be put into words anyway.
You seem to be attacking the Gospels all of a suddern if you dont believe them you will never find the answer to your original question.
Differing times of noting Jesus as christ do not detract from the Gospels crediblilty anyway. They are accounts of Jesus and he himself claims to be God in all of the Gospels. Now thats straigt from the horses mouth.

Pah

Uber all member
chamberlain said:
Who would ask Muslims or the Watchtower Society for an answer on an important subject.

Becuase they has a answer as convincing as yours.

Anyway Jesus has nothing to do with them and they are not authoritative sources on the trinity either.

Nor, it seems does the Bible

Both of these groups will say whatever they feel. When muslims took over countries they said you could have more wives (because there was more on offer).

Guess you haven't read the Old Testament lately More wives and concubines

Anyway you wanted to talk about christ and you a branching on to debates about the nature of the trinity. Would you just like an argument wherever it is available.

You brought it up as something that John would agree with "Jesus Christ is part of the trinity and therefore has always existed!" - from your first post in the thread.

I i think its very bold to say that the people who lived along side Jesus and spent most all of there time listening to him teach in person had a limited understanding of him just because they couldn't accurately describe a concept that cant be put into words anyway.

What I have said is the authors of the Bible written with God's inspiration. do not understand. Nothing to do with the following then or now. I focus on God's Word.

You seem to be attacking the Gospels all of a suddern if you dont believe them you will never find the answer to your original question.

I'm merely reading the Bible - I'm not looking for any personal answer. I thought maybe that someone would have one.

Differing times of noting Jesus as christ do not detract from the Gospels crediblilty anyway. They are accounts of Jesus and he himself claims to be God in all of the Gospels. Now thats straigt from the horses mouth.

I would like to see the verses that say Jesus says he is God. My recollection (and easily borne out by research in any good bible web site) is that Jesus sometimes makes claims about being the son of God. Now being a good reader and understanding a father/son relationship[ - the father is not the son and the son is not the father - that God is reached going through the son. Two steps here - two beings

So can you tell me why those apostles would focus on different beginnings.

dan

In all my days dealing with Catholics, there has been one scripture that I have never even been able to elcit a response from them about. They say God and Jesus are the same being (and yet, esoterically not). Well, in Christ's intercessory prayer He prays that we may all become one, even as He and His Father are one. I know Christ doesn't plan for us to all morph into one huge uber-being, so they must be "one" in another capacity; they can't possibly be one being. They are one in purpose, design, will and perfection, and that is it. We can all be joined in purpose if we have the Gospel inscribed in our hearts. No one has ever even responded to this question before, so what say you? If we can all become one even as Christ and the Father are one, how can they be one being?