• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Catholic Bias becomes toxic

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
As do I, especially as theology is an area with very few "gimmees". The Catechism, for example, provides information as to what the near two thousand year old Church thinks is correct, but realistically we shouldn't believe that it has batted 1000.

To a point, that may be, but I don't think that's the best approach. Instead, I prefer the "We think it's..." approach that is best, especially since it's the most honest and realistic one, imo.
For sure. That is the more superior approach IMO, completely agree with you there. What I have in mind is more of dipping into the old approach from time to time. I've seen the value in this when your everyday 8-5 catholic is just trying to eek through life and happens to go down a path (part of a group) that is rather extreme. There are tons of resources to combat it and get him in the straight and narrow. But ultimately, it requires the Church to speak in no uncertain terms. The Church/clergy is hesitant to do that nowadays.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
What amazes me are those who are selective towards the authority of the Church and do not confess the legitimate, equal and valid authority of Church Councils, and mistakenly believe that what they may hold dear, has always been the teaching of the Church ie the so-called 'Tridentine' Mass, when in reality there is no such thing as a Tridentine liturgy as the Council of Trent did not "make" liturgy and those who cling to the Tridentine missal have a faulty view of the historical facts.
As for celebrating Mass in Latin. the Roman Catholic Church has not outlawed the Latin Mass. The Novus Ordo Missae, promulgated by Pope Paul VI in 1969 to take effect the next year, has been celebrated in Latin as well as in many other languages. During Masses in St. Peter’s Basilica or Square, the pope usually prays the Eucharistic Prayer in Latin.
The problem is not the language but the fact that a few Catholics have denied the validity of the 1969 Novus Ordo Missae and Pope Paul VI’s authority to promulgate its use. They claim that only the 1570 revision made after the Council of Trent is valid.

The issue here is not the language in which the Eucharist is celebrated (Jesus used Aramaic) but rather whether the worshipers are in communion with the whole Church, which permits a variety of languages, or only with people who regard Latin alone as the acceptable language for Mass.

Another bias, one of privilege, as to salvation, we continue to have 'Feeneyites' in our diocese.
With the Ottaviani intervention still being circulated, it's gained traction. The issue has gone beyond just issues of the liturgy/language. Some view the development of Tradition, the extents of authority, and when a Catholic can dissent, etc. as issues to be challenged. In some ways, it's old issues coming back and in other ways, it's issues that do require clarification. It often turns into pinning the Church against the Church. It's a juggernaut of a topic and I can't comprehend how in the world any of these Catholics think they have the time or expertise to unpack it all........The hubris they exude is dangerously protestant at times. Where they are experts on theology, history, liturgy, philosophy, etc.........I'm not smart enough to figure all this out and glad we don't have to. We'd all fail if that was the case.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But ultimately, it requires the Church to speak in no uncertain terms. The Church/clergy is hesitant to do that nowadays.
A former priest we had at our church symbolized Church teachings as being like a Roman traffic cop, whereas some will obey him, some may obey him depending on other factors, and some won't. But these are all "OK" since it is us personally that's responsible for what we do, thus our own "salvation".

But what is also "kosher" on this, is that it's best to go in the direction that the Church teaches when in doubt.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
.The hubris they exude is dangerously protestant at times.
Especially in a country that is overwhelmingly Protestant, which tends to put far greater emphasis on the individual than on the extended family and society in general.

Mark Dohle

Well said. The death to self that Jesus calls us to is to expand our often fearful, tribal hearts to one of Universal love, and to be loving and gentle when we speak what we believe is true.

peace
mark