• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When can the West begin colonizing again?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why have we stopped colonizing when so many of our immigrant neighbors are leaving their lands and joining us. Is this not a sign that they need us to come govern them?

...Also, can we focus for a minute on how colonization can be a positive rather than a negative, and explore that possibility? I mean for both us and them... Not like it used to be... I mean a *new* kind of colonialism, one more modern and progressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Possible positive impacts may include:
  • Creating national parks
  • Preserving environments
  • Preserving species
  • Aiding in tourism
  • Boosting economies with investments
  • Creating jobs
  • Building universities
  • Building libraries
  • Ensuring Western standards in education, law
  • New home construction projects
  • Etc, etc, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Possible positive impacts may include:
  • Creating national parks
  • Preserving environments
  • Preserving species
  • Aiding in tourism
  • Boosting economies with investments
  • Creating jobs
  • Etc, etc, etc.
That's not the Ameristanian way.
Ever since we conquered Hawaii, we now only go in to bomb or corrupt other countries.
I don't think our politicians know how to do anything else.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why have we stopped colonizing when so many of our immigrant neighbors are leaving their lands and joining us. Is this not a sign that they need us to come govern them?

...Also, can we focus for a minute on how colonization can be a positive rather than a negative, and explore that possibility? I mean for both us and them... Not like it used to be... I mean a *new* kind of colonialism, one more modern and progressive.

How is this different than me walking into someone’s house and saying, “I live here now, and you will follow my rules...?”

Cooky

Veteran Member
Ever since we conquered Hawaii, we now only go in to bomb or corrupt other countries.

This is why we need a *NEW KIND* of colonialism. It needs a total makeover.

Cooky

Veteran Member
How is this different than me walking into someone’s house and saying, “I live here now, and you will follow my rules?”

Because in your situation, you're doing it rudely and not asking first.

...When have we asked countries if they wanted to join? I don't mean the politicians... I mean the people themselves.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I mean, who here wouldn't want a vacation (or retirement) home in an amazon treetop, with monkeys to play with all day..? I know I would..! I would totally move there!

Peru-Red-Howler-Monkey-450x300.jpg

Attachments

• new-monkey-species-amazon-1-s1533x2048-p.jpg
    new-monkey-species-amazon-1-s1533x2048-p.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Scientists don't even know what monkey species live in the Amazon... We need to find out!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Not really. For one thing, your analysis suffers from an unrepresentative, biased sample. "So many" is very, very relative here.

But deeper than that, it does not make sense to talk of colonialism these days (despite a lot of complaints that it would somehow be still happening right now). Colonialism requires a form of central authority that, thankfully, is gone and buried for good.

To the extent that such a thing is possible, I do not think that it particularly requires effort at materializing. It just takes wide access to information and education.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because in your situation, you're doing it rudely and not asking first.

...When have we asked countries if they wanted to join? I don't mean the politicians... I mean the people themselves.
I think that you would be surprised by how attached to their fabled sovereignity most people are.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
NASA did plant an American flag on the moon. Nobody lives on the moon, but in hindsight it seems a little Spanish conquistador to go to a new land and plant your flag. "I claim this land for Spain!" Technically the moon now belongs to the US, since we put stuff there first; just as the Americas technically belong to Spain. We are all Spanish colonials, and whoever lives on the moon is American.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Not really. For one thing, your analysis suffers from an unrepresentative, biased sample. "So many" is very, very relative here.

But deeper than that, it does not make sense to talk of colonialism these days (despite a lot of complaints that it would somehow be still happening right now). Colonialism requires a form of central authority that, thankfully, is gone and buried for good.

To the extent that such a thing is possible, I do not think that it particularly requires effort at materializing. It just takes wide access to information and education.

Californication of the Americas... Just imagine California coming to you, with renowned universities, and investors. Property values would rise, and the standard of life would increase if we were all united...

Or you could come here with no southern border... How nice for everyone that would be! But there would be no reason to come here, as here would be there. All the same.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Californication of the Americas... Just imagine California coming to you, with renowned universities, and investors. Property values would rise, and the standard of life would increase if we were all united...

Or you could come here with no southern border... How nice for everyone that would be! But there would be no reason to come here, as here would be there. All the same.
Uh, I really have little notion of what you mean.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why do humans need to interfere with wild animals? just let them live the way they do. They are free in the nature, while we humans have a tendency to make them our slaves or circus pets

Exactly, there need to be reserved areas, to protect these precious animals. Also, with this new colonialism, we could expand our environmental standards.

...There are positive aspects In regards to this.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Exactly, there need to be reserved areas, to protect these precious animals. Also, with this new colonialism, we could expand our environmental standards.

...There are positive aspects In regards to this.
Yes the best way we can save the animals are to stay away from the areas that are not visited by humans yet, so the animals can live their life as they do right now.
If we as humans going to "save" the animals, it will fail as it has always done.
We must learn that animals in the wild already know what to do