• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When believing false things is comforting

Phaedrus

I came across When Believing False Things is Comforting, and I wanted to share it:

I'm sure that most of us can easily identify several things we'd like to believe but don't because we know (or at least suspect) that they are not true. Some of them are things we'd like to believe because it would make us feel better to do so. Some of them are things we'd like to believe because we really wish they were true. But we do not generally believe things we know (or suspect) to be false, do we? Actually, I am not sure about that.

If you are familiar with the sort of street epistemology popularized by Anthony Magnabosco, you have undoubtedly encountered the claim that most people are interested in believing more true things and fewer false things. It is a claim in which I would very much like to believe. Believing it would make me feel better about humanity, and I'd also very much like it to be true. Unfortunately, I am not at all convinced that it is true. In fact, I suspect that it is not true for many religious believers when it comes to religious belief.

The most frustrating conversation I've ever head with a religious believer is one I've had several times with several different religious believers. The common thread and what makes it so frustrating is that they are willing to place their personal feelings (i.e., the comfort they derive) above truth when it comes to their religious belief. To their credit, many have been very open about this.

"I recognize that what I believe might not be true, but I believe it anyway because it makes me feel good to do so."

This is the point at which it becomes clear that continuing the conversation has little point. I mean, what does one say to that? If someone is content to believe things that they acknowledge might be false merely because it makes them feel good, we are coming at the question of belief in such different ways that I am not sure we will ever find common ground. It does not seem like these religious believers are willing to subject their religious beliefs to any real consideration about whether they are true. Even if they did, it is unlikely that they would change their belief as long as it produces positive feelings.

This issue here is not that I have any difficulty understanding why someone would like to feel good. Who doesn't want to feel good? As I mentioned above, there are plenty of things that I'd like to believe because it would probably make me feel good to do so. I cannot do so, however, if I suspect they are false. Even if I might sometimes wish I could do so, I have not figured out how to make myself do so. Similarly, there are all sorts of things I really wish were true. It would be great to be able to believe that at least a few of them were true. But once again, I have not figured out how to believe this when I suspect they are false.

What do you think about the claim that most people are interested in maximizing their true beliefs and minimizing their false beliefs? Is this true of most people? Is it true of most religious believers?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This reminds me of Nietzsche's notion of the "life-affirming lie". The life-affirming lie is a wee bit different than what you are getting at. It's a lie you believe in -- not because it comforts you -- but in order to get out of bed in the morning, so to speak. The life affirming lie is a lie that you tell yourself in order to make it through the day.

By the way, according to some studies, only about 15% of humans are deeply and primarily concerned with whether something is true or not. The vast majority of people simply are not truth seekers.

Put differently, being deeply and profoundly motivated by matters of truth and falsity is not a moral choice in most cases -- it is a personality trait. You are either born to it or not.

Now to be absolutely precise --- those good folks who are deeply and profoundly motivated by matters of truth and falsity are NOT motivated by a genuine desire to discover the truth of some matter. Their real motivation is to avoid being wrong about a matter. Subtle difference.

Of course, I am reporting just one theory in psychology here. There are other theories as well.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I came across When Believing False Things is Comforting, and I wanted to share it:

Personally, I don't see things in black and white, i.e. true or false. I see things in probabilities. Some things are likely true, some things are likely false. Nothing is ever 100% true or 100% false. I suppose there are some things I'd like to be true but I see as likely false. Just a possibility that I am wrong about them being likely false.

So what other folks choose to believe doesn't bother me since there's the possibility that they are right, however so slight.

To me, being a "truth seeker" is a fools game since IMO one can never be 100% certain about the truth. The "Truth" is for religious folks to support their convictions. While I'm willing to accept what is apparently true, I'm also willing to accept I am wrong about it.

Our conscious awareness will always be separated from reality by the unconscious mind. The unconscious is capable of creating "truths" for us to experience. Ghosts, Gods, aliens, magic whatever. If an experience can seem real enough, it becomes a bit hard to differentiate between the truth of experience and the truth of actuality.

Is the truth of actuality more important than the truth of experience? :shrug:

I suppose whichever makes you happier.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
When believing false things is comforting

Let's discuss this in the context of religious/spiritual beliefs.

I really doubt that many people believe in things they know to be false. Typically in the religious/spiritual sphere we are dealing in realms where no one can say with certainty what the truth really is so everyone is able to put up an argument for their beliefs.

Now in such a scenario, people will gravitate to their position (atheist or theist/spiritualist) in both cases for some psychological reason. You might as well gravitate to the side that appeals to you since no one knows for sure anyway.

I think this question of 'why do people believe false things that are comforting' is a disguised put-down of the rationality of theist/spiritualists by the atheist side.

Rational Agnostic

This reminds me of Nietzsche's notion of the "life-affirming lie". The life-affirming lie is a wee bit different than what you are getting at. It's a lie you believe in -- not because it comforts you -- but in order to get out of bed in the morning, so to speak. The life affirming lie is a lie that you tell yourself in order to make it through the day.

By the way, according to some studies, only about 15% of humans are deeply and primarily concerned with whether something is true or not. The vast majority of people simply are not truth seekers.

Put differently, being deeply and profoundly motivated by matters of truth and falsity is not a moral choice in most cases -- it is a personality trait. You are either born to it or not.

Now to be absolutely precise --- those good folks who are deeply and profoundly motivated by matters of truth and falsity are NOT motivated by a genuine desire to discover the truth of some matter. Their real motivation is to avoid being wrong about a matter. Subtle difference.

Of course, I am reporting just one theory in psychology here. There are other theories as well.

I'd also add that some people may be genuine truth seekers in areas of knowledge that have no real impact on their life while deluding themselves in regard to truths that have an impact on reality. The British mathematician John Lennox is an excellent example. The guy is absolutely dedicated to painstakingly proving truths in his abstract mathematical land of algebraic group theory, but he denies evolution by natural selection because it personally affects his view of life. It's safe to prove abstract mathematical truths that have no impact on our lives but many people want to ignore truths that make them uncomfortable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well they do say fantasy takes on a life of its own.

I do see how it can be comforting albiet not completely practical or useful otherwise outside of creating personal motivation , courage, and drive through a tailsman , avatar, or icon.

The only danger I can see from it would be a person who gets so involved, he or she loses touch and sometimes grip with reality.

There are so many things I personally wish was true , even though I know full well deep down they are false. But it still feels comfortable to indulge in those wishes.