• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When athlete's pray or win.....

ninerbuff

godless wonder
You see it alot on the field.....players kneeling down and praying. Are they praying to win? Or just to be safe (oxymoron since football is a violent game and 1 play is all it takes to get taken out)?
Or how about when a boxer wins and then says, "First I'd like to thank my lord and savior jesus...." For what? Letting him have the gift of beating the crap out of his opponent?

Religion is sports is just as comical as religion in the penitentiary.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Whether it's an individual, a team, or a nation, the fact that people regularly perceive god to be on their side, points to the fact that their god is actually themselves.

Skwim

Veteran Member
They're asking god---trying to convince him---to do something he otherwise wouldn't do. It's an assumption that god doesn't know what the right thing to do is, which may actually be the situation, but don't look to any Christian for confirmation.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Or is it just a front to appeal to the masses? I mean most of the pro athlete's of today aren't very christian morally.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
You see it alot on the field.....players kneeling down and praying. Are they praying to win? Or just to be safe (oxymoron since football is a violent game and 1 play is all it takes to get taken out)?
Or how about when a boxer wins and then says, "First I'd like to thank my lord and savior jesus...." For what? Letting him have the gift of beating the crap out of his opponent?

Well prayer is pointless to begin with if god is all knowing anyway, and knows what you want. And to assume that god cares who wins a game, unless there is some actual benefit to them winning such as a conditional donation to charity, is asinine. I think many are just doing it because they think it makes them look better. And to the sort of people that think god would actually care who wins a game, it probably does.

I'd say moreso, considering that at least people in prison have legitimately good reasons to need help from god.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

Most athletes are religious so you're going to see them doing religious things from time to time.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

They are just like children asking their father for something, and they believe they deserve what they want more than their other brothers and sisters.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
At our high school, when the team prays before a game, they are praying for safety for themselves and the other team. At least that's what my son tells me.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
At our high school, when the team prays before a game, they are praying for safety for themselves and the other team. At least that's what my son tells me.
Ask your son how hard the coach asks them to hit a player! I'm more than sure that the prayer is nothing more than just a pregame ritual because you know as I do, a good hit excites the crowd. And those hits are the ones that can cause significant injury.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Ask your son how hard the coach asks them to hit a player! I'm more than sure that the prayer is nothing more than just a pregame ritual because you know as I do, a good hit excites the crowd. And those hits are the ones that can cause significant injury.

Well, then those prayers must be working, because in all the years I've attended local high school football games, there have been no significant injuries. Minor ones, yes, but not serious ones.

They wear an awful lot of protective gear.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Well, then those prayers must be working, because in all the years I've attended local high school football games, there have been no significant injuries. Minor ones, yes, but not serious ones.

They wear an awful lot of protective gear.
Concussions happen all the time and the effects of them happen off the field and not on. Anyway, I hope players stay safe and that injury is kept to a minimum.