• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Asian Women Are Harassed for Marrying Non-Asian Men

The men who harass me know three things: I’m Chinese-American, my husband is white, and our son is multiracial. You hate Asian men, they insist; you hate your own child. You hate yourself. I once received 27 tweets — calling me everything from “irrelevant” to “liar” to “coward” to “neglectful gaslighting mother” — in 48 hours, from one person. I save these messages in a folder on my computer to document the abuse. Whenever I upgrade my laptop, I copy them over, little packets of poison I must keep and carry forever.

I’ve gotten messages like this for more than four years, ever since my first novel — featuring a family with an Asian father and a white mother — was published and my own mixed family became public knowledge. But this message arrived in August — #AsianAugust, some were calling it, because of the huge success of Asian-centered films like Crazy Rich Asians, Searching, and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. It was a moment when Asian-Americans were celebrating as a community, yet here was a hate message plummeting out of the blue into my inbox. And like most of the harassing messages I receive, it came from an Asian man.

Racism is rampant among the East Asian community when it comes to interracial marriages. The majority of East Asian men, no matter where they live are stuck in a perpetual time warp, thinking it's the 1900's when they can still dictate who women are allowed to be attracted to. This is highly problematic and leads to harassment against Asian women who are married to non-Asian men.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps it's just in certain social circles.
Mrs Revolt & other Asian women we know don't endure
criticism for marrying a yang guizi (foreign devil).

Daemon Sophic

Personally I would feel that these childish and ignorant tweets are beneath contempt, but more importantly beneath recognition.
I know the article says that ‘bullies should be ignored, yet if a bully is ignored, they will find a different target’. — This may be true, but eventually, if all the targets ignore the bully, then the bullies will cease to exist.

27 tweets from a single individual against this author clearly suggests that the tweeter is psychologically damaged.

I am a white (German/Dutch/Romanian) guy, and for 20 years I have been married to a wonderful woman born in the US from her immigrant Korean parents. She has always identified herself as an “American”, as do I. We have two beautiful children. And I would point out that genetic mixture is stronger and healthier than “pure-bloods”. Continually breeding within one race simply brings out the recessive defects in that group. :confused:

Growing up in the 1970s in the United States my wife suffered other kid’s racist flak, but it has disappeared over time.
To my knowledge neither of us has ever received any sort of negative or derogatory commentary on our mixed marriage, nor have our children. We have quite a few mixed couple friends, and the schools are filled with mixed children.

As @Revoltingest suggests, racist stupidity is likely more prominent where mixed couples are not so common.
Perhaps levity was not the goal here, but this is usually the only form of ignorance she has had to face in years. :p

Audie

Veteran Member
I see we've a hate monger in our midst,
spreading any sort of lies and calumny
he can come up with, against Chinese.

My boyfriend is Jewish, and we've never
experienced any harassment or other
negative vibes from anyone.

In China-
More and more mixed-blood people - half-Chinese, half-Western - are showing up in Shanghai. Not surprising since there are so many Western men with Chinese women.

They're known as hun xue, or mixed blood, and many just say of themselves, "I'm half." In fashion and entertainment, they are popular as "fusion" models as they are taller than most Chinese and have distinctive features

In fashion and entertainment, they are popular as "fusion" models as they are taller than most Chinese and have distinctive features.

See Jaymee Ong, for an example.

I hope people will see what is going on
here, with this hate mongering.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Racism is rampant among the East Asian community when it comes to interracial marriages. The majority of East Asian men, no matter where they live are stuck in a perpetual time warp, thinking it's the 1900's when they can still dictate who women are allowed to be attracted to. This is highly problematic and leads to harassment against Asian women who are married to non-Asian men.

The article seems to focus mainly on Asian-Americans. Is this racism also evident in Asian countries - or in other countries which have Asian immigrants?

Audie

Veteran Member
The article seems to focus mainly on Asian-Americans. Is this racism also evident in Asian countries - or in other countries which have Asian immigrants?

Do you think you are going to get some sort
of unbiased answer?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think you are going to get some sort
of unbiased answer?

I have no idea. Just asking a question.

My cousin is married to a Chinese woman, although they've lived in Singapore and Malaysia for the past 30 years. I don't get the sense that they've faced any harassment over that, although he has hinted that there is some friction between the Malaysians and the ethnic Chinese who live there (about 10% of the population).

Audie

Veteran Member
I have no idea. Just asking a question.

My cousin is married to a Chinese woman, although they've lived in Singapore and Malaysia for the past 30 years. I don't get the sense that they've faced any harassment over that, although he has hinted that there is some friction between the Malaysians and the ethnic Chinese who live there (about 10% of the population).

It is a good enough question, but you may be
better seeking your answers elsewhere.

As for friction in Malaysia-

There is friction anywhere that there is
a market dominant minority.

In SE Asia, ethnic Chinese are the
market dominant minority pretty much
everywhere, from the stratosphere-rich
to the humble villages.

In Belize, the resort-hotel island had one
store. Chinese family, with a child lying
on the floor behind the counter, studying.

The locals are getting resentful of the
Chinese presence, taking over.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Haven't noticed anything like this but in my area, seems everyone is in a interracial relationship.

Social media OTOH seems rampant with folks who only entertainment is in harassing other people. Saying whatever they can to get a reaction.

I'd suspect some guys who happen to be Asian have trouble with women. Probably have just as much problems with women if they were White.

David1967

Premium Member
I haven't encountered any such thing. My wife is Korean and both Korean men and women have been very accepting of us, in fact, no one has treated either of us any differently.

Audie

Veteran Member
I haven't encountered any such thing. My wife is Korean and both Korean men and women have been very accepting of us, in fact, no one has treated either of us any differently.

Not that I am married to my boyfriend but
here in the US an abroad, nobody has ever
hinted at the rampant abuse claimed in the op.

This is just another bash-the-Chinese thread, like
others from the same poster.

David1967

Premium Member
Not that I am married to my boyfriend but
here in the US an abroad, nobody has ever
hinted at the rampant abuse claimed in the op.

This is just another bash-the-Chinese thread, like
others from the same poster.

In my experience, I haven't run into many people that have a problem with interracial couples. On the rare occasions that I have, they have been elderly people still holding on to the bias of their youth.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a good enough question, but you may be
better seeking your answers elsewhere.

Probably so, since the OP hasn't gotten around to answering it yet.

The reason I asked was because I find it interesting that people would immigrate to a country (ostensibly to live permanently and raise a family), yet somehow feel resentful at the idea of actually interacting with the local population. It's like the writer of the article in the OP wants to set up his own segregated country within a country (assuming that he's living in America).

As for friction in Malaysia-

There is friction anywhere that there is
a market dominant minority.

In SE Asia, ethnic Chinese are the
market dominant minority pretty much
everywhere, from the stratosphere-rich
to the humble villages.

In Belize, the resort-hotel island had one
store. Chinese family, with a child lying
on the floor behind the counter, studying.

The locals are getting resentful of the
Chinese presence, taking over.

They're resentful in Belize, too? I seem to recall that Guatemala has a long-standing claim on Belize. But I didn't think they had anything against the Chinese.

Audie

Veteran Member
Probably so, since the OP hasn't gotten around to answering it yet.

The reason I asked was because I find it interesting that people would immigrate to a country (ostensibly to live permanently and raise a family), yet somehow feel resentful at the idea of actually interacting with the local population. It's like the writer of the article in the OP wants to set up his own segregated country within a country (assuming that he's living in America).

They're resentful in Belize, too? I seem to recall that Guatemala has a long-standing claim on Belize. But I didn't think they had anything against the Chinese.

Chinese are too aggressive /driven for the
relaxed lifestyle, and outcompete the locals who
of course resent them for it.

Mark Twain wrote of the same thing in
the mining camps in 19th century USA.