• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When are safe spaces a good idea?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Safe spaces are perfectly acceptable, for just about any reason; if you want to gather in your private group and insult me, by all means.

The problem starts to arise when people get it into their heads that everywhere they move needs to be a "safe space". Every space they move into they demand acquiesce to their comfort, instead of acclimating to the current environment. Then they act persecuted when any segment of the people there are unaccepting of the demands.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Back to the OP: @LuisDantas When I first saw this thread I assumed it had to do with a recent trend in the US for certain students to ask for safe spaces on campus. Or even for entire campuses to be safe spaces.

In that context, I think that for the most part, public areas on campuses should not be censored more than the legal limits.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Curious what different people see as safe spaces.
Personally, on RF, I see the open debate and discussion forums as the only safe ones. I've been booted out of all the DIRs, from Feminists Only to Conservatives Only to Catholics Only. I've gotten warnings and infraction points for saying things somebody didn't want to hear.
"Safe" is in the eye of the beholder.
Tom

Wirey

Fartist
If hearing an idea upsets you, good! It means you're listening! If you go hide, you'll eventually have no idea what is going on. How'd you like to be a black teenager getting pulled over by the police in Baltimore or St Louis for no reason who's been protected from the news for the last five years?