• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a question like " what is your belief in......."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When you read an OP that say " what is your belief in......"
And when people answer " their belief" in the answer they give to the OP.
Do you withour own belief question others belief because you do not agree with them, or because you can not accept that they believe differently then you?

Or, if you personally do not hold a belief ( religious) you deny any answer beliecers give to OP?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you withour own belief question others belief because you do not agree with them, or because you can not accept that they believe differently then you?

Or, if you personally do not hold a belief ( religious) you deny any answer beliecers give to OP?
I dont believe anymore. Belief suggests that your personally convinced on something that may or may not be true. I prefer to approach things provisionally now.

QuestioningMind

I'm far less interested in what people believe than I am in why they believe it. I'm curious about the process people use to determine the truth of a religious/spiritual claim and whether they ever use that same process for determining the truths of other claims they encounter in their lives.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I question their answers, only because I question everything. Though it's really not up to me to decide the truth of what someone else believes.

I like to understand why people believe things. Still trying to figure out why I believe things, hearing from other people helps out.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@QuestioningMind
@Nakosis

So you do not for example say " your belief is wrong" but instead ask " why do you believe in something unseen?"

So it is not that you have to be right and others wrong, its about the prosess why someone do believe and their thoughts about why they started believe?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How do you see faith? In like saying, i have faith in this or that religious teaching?

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

What does this mean?
I suspect the assurance comes from being promised by someone you trust.
Trusting what was promised to you, sight unseen, without doubt or reservation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No, to all. When I ask, I'm actually curious to what people believe in. However, RF is really not the place since trust is involved when it comes to things like that. I think you're addressing this the wrong way, though.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

What does this mean?
I suspect the assurance comes from being promised by someone you trust.
Trusting what was promised to you, sight unseen, without doubt or reservation.
To only answer for my self.
Itsnot so much about the promise a religion gives, its more about finding the true me, the true Amanaki:)

MNoBody

Everybody is a window onto the world, so why blind one's self by not compassionately observing..... compassion is the ultimate vehicle to knowing...as much as one is able of course, since people have good days and not so good, ups and downs...... for better or worse we are all in this crazy boat together until it kills us eventually, picking us off one by one....so why be harsh with each other, that is already harsh enough...
so as bill and ted said
be excellent to each other......why, just because it makes it tolerable, that is reason enough.:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What way would be better to adress it?

No biggie. I guess the majority of us are curious about believers belief and faith in their spirituality insofar not because some of us haven't experienced it but more so each person's experiences and definitions are different. We also come from different backgrounds, so it's interesting to probe.

Anyway. I don't want to mess up the thread. Questions are thought provoking though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To only answer for my self.
Itsnot so much about the promise a religion gives, its more about finding the true me, the true Amanaki:)

Ah the true me. I see the true me as the gray matter between my ears. Nakosis is just an illusion.

Why do I believe that? Well I know we all have brains, so far everyone has been found to have one. Nakosis however is not always there. Nakosis disappears from time to time.

I could be something else I suppose but for now, I'm kind of stuck with that idea. It's not what I want to believe but it seems the simplest explanation.

QuestioningMind

@QuestioningMind
@Nakosis

So you do not for example say " your belief is wrong" but instead ask " why do you believe in something unseen?"

So it is not that you have to be right and others wrong, its about the prosess why someone do believe and their thoughts about why they started believe?

That's right. And once I find out what the process used is, I may question the reliability of such a process.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just not a fan of the phrase "believe in" for a variety of reasons. One, it implies religion is necessarily faith-based in a fashion similar to, say, Protestant Christianity (it is not). Two, my religion isn't faith-based, so using that language is particularly awkward for me. Three, "believe in" holds several distinct meanings and I'm often unclear on which someone really means.

I prefer investigating things like "what philosophical assumptions underlie this worldview" and "what deeply-held values inform this perspective." Those, however, are harder, deeper questions than what one "believes in."

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I typically do so for two reasons:
  • Because I’m genuinely curious.
  • To provoke thought.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just not a fan of the phrase "believe in" for a variety of reasons. One, it implies religion is necessarily faith-based in a fashion similar to, say, Protestant Christianity (it is not). Two, my religion isn't faith-based, so using that language is particularly awkward for me. Three, "believe in" holds several distinct meanings and I'm often unclear on which someone really means.

I prefer investigating things like "what philosophical assumptions underlie this worldview" and "what deeply-held values inform this perspective." Those, however, are harder, deeper questions than what one "believes in."

This will never work on Twitter.

:)