• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When a family member become chronic ill.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know exactly what you mean; I watched my wife suffer. It was to the point that I was afraid that she was going to ask me to help her end it all, but I was terrified that I was going to tell her no. Please get your fiancee' to those that can really helper her.
I will do so :) I can only be there for her and comfort her, but the medical issue is up to our doctor and his team to help her with :) But I have good hope she will get enough help to not suffer too much in the years to come. But we take one day at the time

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When someone in the near family gets chronical ill, life for the rest of the family changes a lot too.
I know this well because i lost both my parents to cancer many years ago, but to experience chronic illness again and this time with my fianceè, that is a shock, but we just have to live on and do the best for her.
My fianceè got psoriatic arthritis, and it is a slow-growing illness that will make her need to use Wheelchair for the rest of her life (not everyone who gets psoriatic arthritis will be affected this much) But we have seen the last year or so that her health been going down, so my responsibility as her future husband is to fully take care of her, but also have a fulltime job so we can earn money to survive.

Are there others here who have experienced similar situations with loved once? any advice on how to manage the more difficult situation?

(this thread is not about me (amanaki) I only ask to hope for some guidance

I am very sorry to hear that your fiancé is so seriously ill.
I have little faith in the orthodox medical approach to any chronic disorder because it is simply designed to manage the symptoms of an illness, never it seems to actually find out what is causing it and to fix it.

I don't know how you feel about the alternative approach, but I have personally had a lot more success with my own illnesses over the years by avoiding the "drug" treadmill. The side effects are enough to warn us that our bodies are not responding well to that treatment, even though symptoms of the original illness might be reduced, it can lead to other problems caused by the drugs themselves.

Auto-immune disorders are now surfacing like at no other time period. Artificially produced, chemical based substances are not well tolerated by the body, which is already stressed by environmental factors beyond our control. We are getting further and further away from nature, to our detriment. :(

Medicinal cannabis is also proving to be very successful in alleviating the pain associated with many conditions. Is it legal in Norway?
Arthritis is a disease caused by inflammation, so even a change in diet can help with that. When it involves the skin, a topical application can sometimes work well. I have seen chronic skin conditions improve dramatically just by applying the oil.

I am no stranger to caring for a chronically ill partner. I cared for my husband for 5 years at home and then, when he became completely incapacitated, he was placed in a care facility because I could no longer manage his care on my own. I made sure I visited him every day and oversaw the treatments that he was given. We had no choice but to allow them to medicate him. He survived for three and a half years, and he knew I was always there.
At home, we always kept things light and we laughed a lot to make sure that depression over his condition did not weigh us down unnecessarily. His was a genetically inherited disorder that has no cure. All they can do at present is manage symptoms, although gene therapy, if it is ever made available, should see some progress for these kinds of disorders.

I am sure your lady knows that she is loved and appreciated for the person she is, rather than the sick body she is trapped in. She is very fortunate to have someone like you at her side.
I alway felt that putting myself in my husband's place helped me to be more patient, even when he was difficult. Empathy helped to calm the emotions, which can be overwhelming at times.

Care-giving is a tough job, but our own attitude is so important. We need to take care of our own well-being too, otherwise there will be two victims. Respite is essential if it is available. I found that it recharged my batteries enough to keep going. Having a sure hope for the future also gave me comfort.

I wish all the best to you both.

Deeje

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am very sorry to hear that your fiancé is so seriously ill.
I have little faith in the orthodox medical approach to any chronic disorder because it is simply designed to manage the symptoms of an illness, never it seems to actually find out what is causing it and to fix it.

I don't know how you feel about the alternative approach, but I have personally had a lot more success with my own illnesses over the years by avoiding the "drug" treadmill. The side effects are enough to warn us that our bodies are not responding well to that treatment, even though symptoms of the original illness might be reduced, it can lead to other problems caused by the drugs themselves.

Auto-immune disorders are now surfacing like at no other time period. Artificially produced, chemical based substances are not well tolerated by the body, which is already stressed by environmental factors beyond our control. We are getting further and further away from nature, to our detriment. :(

Medicinal cannabis is also proving to be very successful in alleviating the pain associated with many conditions. Is it legal in Norway?
Arthritis is a disease caused by inflammation, so even a change in diet can help with that. When it involves the skin, a topical application can sometimes work well. I have seen chronic skin conditions improve dramatically just by applying the oil.

I am no stranger to caring for a chronically ill partner. I cared for my husband for 5 years at home and then, when he became completely incapacitated, he was placed in a care facility because I could no longer manage his care on my own. I made sure I visited him every day and oversaw the treatments that he was given. We had no choice but to allow them to medicate him. He survived for three and a half years, and he knew I was always there.
At home, we always kept things light and we laughed a lot to make sure that depression over his condition did not weigh us down unnecessarily. His was a genetically inherited disorder that has no cure. All they can do at present is manage symptoms, although gene therapy, if it is ever made available, should see some progress for these kinds of disorders.

I am sure your lady knows that she is loved and appreciated for the person she is, rather than the sick body she is trapped in. She is very fortunate to have someone like you at her side.
I alway felt that putting myself in my husband's place helped me to be more patient, even when he was difficult. Empathy helped to calm the emotions, which can be overwhelming at times.

Care-giving is a tough job, but our own attitude is so important. We need to take care of our own well-being too, otherwise there will be two victims. Respite is essential if it is available. I found that it recharged my batteries enough to keep going. Having a sure hope for the future also gave me comfort.

I wish all the best to you both.

Deeje
Hi Deeje :) and thank you for your reply.
Both my fianceè and my self is well known with alternative medicine :) and we use a lot of herbs and vegetable food to treat illnesses. But none of us wish to use cannabis because we see its narcotics and that is illegal in Norway.

We too have a lot of laughter in our home :) and we can have deeper conversations about life and what we should do to better our situation. And of course now when she got ill we need to ask for help both from doctors but also form the local government offices.
We will be in need of a car and because of her wheelshair that she at the moment is in need of outside the home we can apply for a custom made car similar to for example Ford Transit, and the Government will pay for the wheelchair lift and another custom made seat for her in the front of the car.

So yes there are many options, but i will make sure it is for the best of my Fianceè :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
But none of us wish to use cannabis because we see its narcotics and that is illegal in Norway.

Wow! I find this so surprising considering that the world is now recognising cannabis as the God-given medicine it was designed to be. It is a herb, not a narcotic. It is way less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, which are perfectly legal, but cause untold harm in the community. Unlike narcotics, it is not addictive and has no side effects.

There are so many lies circulated about cannabis because, when used as a medicine, (as it has been for thousands of years) it was threat to the profits of the pharmaceutical companies. It can be used to treat a wide variety of ailments very successfully. Google the benefits of cannabis and I am sure you will see through the negative propaganda.

Our bodies have cannabinoid receptors all over it, so we are actually designed to utilise this medicine. Please do some research and see for yourself that there is so much more to its illegal "narcotic" status than meets the eye. It is rather sinister actually.

I am happy that you can receive the practical help you require. So many other countries are inadequate when it comes to providing the needed services for the disabled and their carers.

Take care.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wow! I find this so surprising considering that the world is now recognising cannabis as the God-given medicine it was designed to be. It is a herb, not a narcotic. It is way less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, which are perfectly legal, but cause untold harm in the community. Unlike narcotics, it is not addictive and has no side effects.

There are so many lies circulated about cannabis because, when used as a medicine, (as it has been for thousands of years) it was threat to the profits of the pharmaceutical companies. It can be used to treat a wide variety of ailments very successfully. Google the benefits of cannabis and I am sure you will see through the negative propaganda.

Our bodies have cannabinoid receptors all over it, so we are actually designed to utilise this medicine. Please do some research and see for yourself that there is so much more to its illegal "narcotic" status than meets the eye. It is rather sinister actually.

I am happy that you can receive the practical help you require. So many other countries are inadequate when it comes to providing the needed services for the disabled and their carers.

Take care.
Norway allow cannabis as medicine only to people who are very sick from cancer. But others would be punished.
My fiancee and I dont drink alcohol :) but unfortunatly she still smoke some cigaretts, but she is about to quilt.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Norway allow cannabis as medicine only to people who are very sick from cancer. But others would be punished.
My fiancee and I dont drink alcohol :) but unfortunatly she still smoke some cigaretts, but she is about to quilt.
Sounds a bit like Australia. The pharmaceutical companies ensure that cannabis will never be the healing plant that God intended for it to be. It will be interfered with in some way so that its full benefits will not be achieved. They cannot patent a plant...all they can do is take a component, synthesize it and then patent that so they can charge a fortune for it. Cannabis is something you can grow in your own garden and make your medicine in your own kitchen....for free! What they are doing is wicked!

Have you noticed that no one taking the orthodox medicines ever truly gets well?
There is too much money to be lost in cures.....big pharma is only interested in offering "treatments"...preferably the sort that never ends, ensuring that you will be a customer for life.

When you see all the illnesses that cannabis can be used for...even the illness that killed my husband, you understand why the government bows to the big commercial corporations because they rely on their money to exist. The world is waking up to the corruption.

Cannabis is not going to make you "high" if it is used as a medicine. Like all medicines, it has to be the right strain and the right dosage to treat the various illnesses.
In California where it is legal, they have pharmacies where experts can recommend the correct plant strains for the illness it is used to treat and in the correct dosage. This should be universal. Israel is actually leading the world in medicinal cannabis research.

We should all have the right to try it...not just selected cancer patients who have probably been through several torturous rounds of chemotherapy.....which in too many cases just doesn't work. Even if you have remission, it always seems to come back. As in the case with Olivia Newton-John. Her husband is a staunch cannabis researcher and farmer of medicinal herbs.He has his own cannabis farm.

I know that I would never touch chemotherapy.....I would go to a country where alternative medicine is embraced as part of their culture and take my treatments there.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Are there others here who have experienced similar situations with loved once? any advice on how to manage the more difficult situation?
I do not have very good advice since I do not think I handle my own situation very well.

My husband of over 35 years has chronic severe asthma. He has to use a nebulizer machine, a steroid inhaler and a ventolin inhaler just to survive. He says he has constant struggle to breathe but it does not seem that bad to me. He sleeps through the entire night and I am up every half hour urinating, which interferes with my sleep. I guess I do not really know how bad his asthma is except what he tells me. We do not communicate very well at all, we are constantly fighting. It is a terrible way to live but I would never abandon him.

I know I am probably not as compassionate as I should be because he uses this as a reason not to do much around the house even though he is home all day since he is retired and I am at work. My husband seems so miserable sometimes I think he would be better off dead. The way he complains incessantly and the way he loves the idea of the afterlife I wonder if he would be better off.

Given my only sister died of cervical cancer and my sister-in-law died of liver cancer, and my husband has chronic bowel problems, I worry more about cancer than his asthma. I figure if it was as bad as he says that he would have an oxygen tank. I have chronic anxiety and depression but I just live with it and try to rise above it by staying busy. I think he is also depressed and anxious but he does not have the same kind of depression I have, which is inherited, as all my family had it.