• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wheat the staff of life or is it? google roundup used in wheat harvest

dfnj

Monsanto says its perfectly safe. But the way wheat production is done in the US is right before the wheat is harvested it is sprayed with roundup. Rather than wait for all the wheat to die before harvesting it turns out spraying the wheat with roundup causes the wheat to produce more seeds as the plant is dying. This increases yields.

Do not be fooled by statements, "most farmers do not do this practice." This reminds me of the way tobacco companies used to parade doctors who would say cigarettes are good for your health and smoking clears out your lungs. The idea that most farmers do not do this practice is very deceiving since the smallest number of corporate farm managers produces the largest amounts of wheat by weight or volume. Corporate farm managers have a legal obligation to maximize return to the shareholders at the expense of every other consideration.

If you think roundup is perfectly safe then go buy a bottle and chug it down. However, if you think there may be a health issue here requiring government intervention then google, "cancers caused by roundup" and "stomach problems caused by roundup".

It's popular nowadays to support Republicans, or Democrats, who think government is the problem. But without government, how can any citizen protect themselves from a corporate farm manager who is doing his legal obligation to shareholders.

Now in defense of Monsanto, we should not be passing legislation based on superstition or anecdotal evidence. But with the anti-government climate in Washington creating public policy based on good science is simply not possible. Research requires funding. The public health is just not a priority. Protecting the consumer from wheat contamination is simple not as important, or lucrative, as juicy no-bid defense contracts with cost-plus stipulations.

If this is a major health issue, I believe in good science, then how many millions of people have to suffer and die before the practice of spraying wheat with roundup to increase harvest yields is outlawed? Corporations running our government has consequences.

Ezekiel 5:16

Last edited:

74x12

Monsanto says its perfectly safe. But the way wheat production is done in the US is right before the wheat is harvested it is sprayed with roundup. Rather than wait for all the wheat to die before harvesting it turns out spraying the wheat with roundup causes the wheat to produce more seeds as the plant is dying. This increases yields.

Do not be fooled by statements, "most farmers do not do this practice." This reminds me of the way tobacco companies used to parade doctors who would say cigarettes are good for your health and smoking clears out your lungs. The idea that most farmers do not do this paractice is very deceiving since the smallest number of corporate farm managers produces the largest amounts of wheat by weight or volume. Corporate farm managers have a legal obligation to maximize return to the shareholders at the expense of every other consideration.

If you think roundup is perfectly safe then go buy a bottle and chug it down. However, if you think there may be a health issue here requiring government intervention then google, "cancers caused by roundup" and "stomach problems caused by roundup".

It's popular nowadays to support Republicans, or Democrats, who think government is the problem. But without government, how can any citizen protect themselves from a corporate farm manager who is doing his legal obligation to shareholders.

Now in defense of Monsanto, we should not be passing legislation based on superstition or anecdotal evidence. But with the anti-government climate in Washington creating public policy based on good science is simply not possible. Research requires funding. The public health is just not a priority. Protecting the consumer from wheat contamination is simple not as important, or lucrative, as juicy no-bid defense contracts with cost-plus stipulations.

If this is a major health issue, I believe in good science, then how many millions of people have to suffer and die before the practice of spraying wheat with roundup to increase harvest yields is outlawed? Corporations running our government has consequences.

I am one of those who usually thinks government is the problem but when it comes to health concerns such as this one and others like it; they need to be stopped and outlawing it is the only way.

dfnj

I am one of those who usually thinks government is the problem but when it comes to health concerns such as this one and others like it; they need to be stopped and outlawing it is the only way.

You would think some political issue would garner bipartisan cooperation. But that is NOT the world we live in. Any compromise at all and folks like Grover Norquist, "I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub" will primary your arse.

It worked! They've succeeded!! The government no longer exists or is in place to protect the consumer from corporate practices like spraying wheat with roundup just before harvesting.

74x12

It worked! They've succeeded!! The government no longer exists or is in place to protect the consumer from corporate practices like spraying wheat with roundup just before harvesting.
Well ... it's more likely that the government is just bought by these corporations. Besides, segments of the government want population reduction ... I'll let you do the math.

dfnj

Well ... it's more likely that the government is just bought by these corporations. Besides, segments of the government want population reduction ... I'll let you do the math.

I'm not sure why. I think the larger the population the more interesting culture we would have. A larger population means a larger number of interesting inventions and artwork will be created. Culture is king.

You would think the quality of health and birth rates of the population would be in line with corporation's goals of maximizing returns to the shareholders. If the corporations kills off their customers eventually its going to hit the bottom line.

Maybe awareness of spraying roundup on wheat will be enough to change corporate behavior. I for one am going to look for wheat alternatives. Where I live there are amazing Chinese grocery stores where I can buy 25 pounds of jasmine rice from Thailand really cheap. Using a rice cooker purchased from the Chinese grocery store makes really good rice.

This one looks like mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NH...43731340&sr=1-31&keywords=chinese+rice+cooker

74x12

I for one am going to look for wheat alternatives. Where I live there are amazing Chinese grocery stores where I can buy 25 pounds of jasmine rice from Thailand really cheap.
Good idea, you can also look for Non-GMO verified. "Roundup ready" wheat is GMO as far as I know. That's how Monsanto makes a huge profit because the farmers have to pay them for the "privilege" of using their variety of wheat.

Not only is the roundup toxin bad for you; but who knows what the GMO wheat itself will do? Apparently the public are the guinea pigs this time.

dfnj

Good idea, you can also look for Non-GMO verified. "Roundup ready" wheat is GMO as far as I know. That's how Monsanto makes a huge profit because the farmers have to pay them for the "privilege" of using their variety of wheat.

Not only is the roundup toxin bad for you; but who knows what the GMO wheat itself will do? Apparently the public are the guinea pigs this time.

The problem is almost everything in the grocery store is processed food with wheat in it. Who wants to be some kind of crazy vegan health nut. I have to do something because I have so many health problems right now. Unless I'm on Medifast or Slimfast type of diet, I get incredibly debilitating heartburn. I've been to all kinds of doctors and they claim there's nothing wrong with my stomach. I spent $1500 out of pocket to get my stomach scoped and a colonoscopy but everything checked out okay according to the doctor. I'm just sick of dieting. But unless I'm fasting I can't do anything that shakes up my stomach. That's the only reason I found this story is I was trying to figure out what the symptoms where for having gluten intolerance.

Jumi

EU voted for banning roundup, and made them pay ~300 million euros for the cancers caused, but they are delaying the the ban until 2022. Perhaps they will have a new vote then and just continue the use once the anger dies out.

dfnj

EU voted for banning roundup, and made them pay ~300 million euros for the cancers caused, but they are delaying the the ban until 2022. Perhaps they will have a new vote then and just continue the use once the anger dies out.

It's nice to know that some form of government still exists that can stand up to the tyranny of the corporations.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Do not be fooled by statements, "most farmers do not do this practice." This reminds me of the way tobacco companies used to parade doctors who would say cigarettes are good for your health and smoking clears out your lungs. The idea that most farmers do not do this practice is very deceiving since the smallest number of corporate farm managers produces the largest amounts of wheat by weight or volume. Corporate farm managers have a legal obligation to maximize return to the shareholders at the expense of every other consideration.

Your link sends me to some Bible site which doesn't even mention
Roundup or glyphosate (main ingredient of such popular herbicides).

One thing to consider is that herbicides allow a great reduction in
soil erosion. Carefully weigh costs & benefits, lest the baby be
thrown out with the bathwater.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

How much roundup does the average person encounter from eating wheat products? I'm guessing it's less than the amount you'd get from "chugging a bottle" of it. A light sprinkle of table salt is harmless, 300 grams of table salt will kill you. Let's try to avoid alarmist fallacies, huh?

Kangaroo Feathers

Every grain of wheat ever produced since wheat was first domesticated is a GMO. Please don't fall for the alarmist boogeyman hype around the term. Frankly, unless you eat a lot of wild game or ocean caught fish, everything you eat is GMO. and even wild stuff is debatable.

Kangaroo Feathers

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We're living longer than we've ever lived. Percentage wise, there are less starving people on the planet than ever before. There is greater diversity in what we can buy. Food is fresher.
Yes, there may be more cancer (and other diseases, like Celiac's) diagnosed, but is that from food, or just better diagnostic tools?
Genetic modification has saved quite a few species from extinction, and eliminated plant disease. It is unlikely we'll see another potato famine or other such agricultural disaster. I'm in favour of greater diversification with or without 'genetic modification' and look forward to 10 varieties of bananas to choose from instead of one.

74x12

The problem is almost everything in the grocery store is processed food with wheat in it. Who wants to be some kind of crazy vegan health nut. I have to do something because I have so many health problems right now. Unless I'm on Medifast or Slimfast type of diet, I get incredibly debilitating heartburn. I've been to all kinds of doctors and they claim there's nothing wrong with my stomach. I spent $1500 out of pocket to get my stomach scoped and a colonoscopy but everything checked out okay according to the doctor. I'm just sick of dieting. But unless I'm fasting I can't do anything that shakes up my stomach. That's the only reason I found this story is I was trying to figure out what the symptoms where for having gluten intolerance.
... I hate stomach problems. Have you tried any probiotics? That may help your stomach a bit.

As for you having a food allergy; it's also possible.
Every grain of wheat ever produced since wheat was first domesticated is a GMO. Please don't fall for the alarmist boogeyman hype around the term. Frankly, unless you eat a lot of wild game or ocean caught fish, everything you eat is GMO. and even wild stuff is debatable.
There is a difference between natural husbandry and unnatural editing of DNA.

I don't care if you breed goats for 1 million years; you're not going to end up with goats making spider silk in their milk!

Kangaroo Feathers

There is a difference between natural husbandry and unnatural editing of DNA.

I don't care if you breed goats for 1 million years; you're not going to end up with goats making spider silk in their milk!
Only a matter of degree. Same deal.

Nous

Premium Member

Snopes fact-checked the claim:

U.S. farmers are saturating wheat crops with the herbicide Roundup as a desiccant before each harvest, causing an increase in wheat-related ailments.​

The finding was that while glyphosate is sometimes used as a desiccant, “its practice is far from common in the United States,” and they outright rejected the notion that using glyphosate as a desiccant on wheat before harvest has been causing an increase in wheat-related ailments.

In fact, to illustrate the rarity of using glyphosate as a pre-harvest desiccant for wheat, Snopes quotes USDA data showing that glyphosate is least often used as a desiccant on winter wheat compared to durum and spring wheat, while winter wheat accounts for 70-80% of wheat production in the US. Snopes further quotes a Huffington Post article in which it was noted, “There is a small sector and region of wheat production that practices this [pre-harvesting wheat with glyphosate]: mainly North Dakota, small parts of South Dakota, and parts of Canada. In the United States, North Dakota represents about 5% of total wheat acres produced.”