• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your favourite...

Alusky

Dog lover
I would go for Pan because of his erotic aspects, capable of inspiring sexuality with his music, also to to be a god of fertility.

Ravenheart

Seeker
Hecate as she is the keeper of the keys between the portal of life and death. She also is the symbol of sorcery which im currently studying

EyeofOdin

My favorites are Dionysus and Zeus, and that's because we can really see Proto-Indo-European connections through these two deities (among others too, but especially these two).

Zeus derives ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European word for the sky god, Dyew Pater. Zeus is also cognate to various other deities including Tyr, Jupiter and Dyaus Pitar.

Dionysus is theorized to have common origins with the thunder and fertility gods Indra, Tanaris and Thor. When these deities broke off in Greek culture, the role of lightning wielder was absorbed by Zeus and Dionysus was left as a fertility and nature god.

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
My favorites are Dionysus and Zeus, and that's because we can really see Proto-Indo-European connections through these two deities (among others too, but especially these two).

Zeus derives ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European word for the sky god, Dyew Pater. Zeus is also cognate to various other deities including Tyr, Jupiter and Dyaus Pitar.

Dionysus is theorized to have common origins with the thunder and fertility gods Indra, Tanaris and Thor. When these deities broke off in Greek culture, the role of lightning wielder was absorbed by Zeus and Dionysus was left as a fertility and nature god.
Actually, it's dyauShpitA, pitar is the vocative form (sambodhanavibhakti), although it's funny that you stated that the role of thunder wielder was shifted from Dionysus to Zeus; in India, it was the exact opposite, dyauSh was the fashioner of the vajra (with the help of tvaShTA) which was then given to indra.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I like the demi-Gods especially but hard to pick favorites among the 12 Olympians.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Dionysus all the way. :)

I also like Hades, Hecate, and Nyx (although I'm not sure if she is really a deity).

EyeofOdin

Actually, it's dyauShpitA, pitar is the vocative form (sambodhanavibhakti), although it's funny that you stated that the role of thunder wielder was shifted from Dionysus to Zeus; in India, it was the exact opposite, dyauSh was the fashioner of the vajra (with the help of tvaShTA) which was then given to indra.

That's great. I don't know Sanskrit and obviously I'm not pretending to.

Also I'm talking about Proto Indo European religion evolving into others. The deity Dyew Pater unlikely was revered as a thunder god. This role was associated with a deity called something to the effect of thunderer or striker.

Just because the sky god in the myth fashioned the lightning, doesn't mean that he started as a thunder god. Mjolnir in Northern Europe was a gift from Loki, but that doesn't mean that he historically controls lightning.

Benst

I have to go with Hermes as well. Of all of them, he is the most interesting to me. God of merchants, Psychopomp, creator of the lyre, generally an honourable guy. I think, because he doesn't fit into that classical idea of Greek masculinity and yet is a powerful God he's very intriguing.