• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite NT parable or lesson?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Share your favorite NT parable or lesson and explain why it's your favorite.

Mine is...

The Parable of the Sower Explained (Luke 8:11-15) NKJV

"Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. But the ones ont he rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who beleive for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches and pleausres of life and bring not fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience."

I really like this parable because it reminds me of my journey to Christ and to fully accepting God's Word in my life. I have been in the position, where I heard God's Word and it was as if everything went in one ear and out the other. I have been in the position...where I thought I received Christ but quickly back slided when life got difficult. Finally, I've reached a place where I'm growing...bearing spiritual fruit. It feels like my life story...kind of hits home.

Aqualung

Tasty
I like what paul says (forgive me, I don't remember where) where he's talking about meat sacrificed to idols. He says that it doesn't matter if you eat meat sacrificed to idols, but if it makes offends anybody else, it does matter.

Aqualung

Tasty
Here it is: 1 Corinthians 8
7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. 8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. 9 But take heed lest by any means this libery of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. 10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. 13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

onmybelief

The Parable of the Good Samaritan Luke 10: 25-35

25) On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

26) "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

27) He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind';and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

28) "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

29) But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

30) In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31) A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32) So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33) But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34)He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35) The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'

36) "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37)The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

And Also 1 Corinthians: 13 1-13

1) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2) If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3) If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4) Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5) It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6) Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7) It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8) Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9) For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10) mbut when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11) When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12) Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13) And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I wonder how many who read this know how directly it speaks to the question of ethnic/religious differences.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Aqualung said:
I like what paul says (forgive me, I don't remember where) where he's talking about meat sacrificed to idols. He says that it doesn't matter if you eat meat sacrificed to idols, but if it makes offends anybody else, it does matter.
That's not a parable, but it's good stuff! Do you have a favorite parable too? Does it correlate to this particular reading in some way?

sojourner

I don't know that I have a favorite parable, but one that I have always liked is the one comparing the kingdom to a woman hiding the leaven in the lump of dough.

My favorite NT passage? Philippians 2: "Let the same mind be in you..."

My favorite gospel story? Where Peter makes the great confession and Jesus tells him that his faith makes him rock.

Aqualung

Tasty
sojourner said:
That's not a parable, but it's good stuff! Do you have a favorite parable too? Does it correlate to this particular reading in some way?
Well, the question was parable or lesson... :D

But no, I don't have a favourite parable. Maybe where he says how even the worst man won't give his son a stone if he asks for bread. But I don't really know.

sojourner

Aqualung said:
Well, the question was parable or lesson... :D

But no, I don't have a favourite parable. Maybe where he says how even the worst man won't give his son a stone if he asks for bread. But I don't really know.
Yeah, sorry! That was really poorly-worded. I just wondered if you were following something thematic between parable, lesson, etc.:bonk:

Actually the two citations do follow a certain train of thought of "correctness." Don't do something that others will think is incorrect, and don't give incorrect help. Maybe. What do you think?

A

angellous_evangellous

Jayhawker Soule said:
I wonder how many who read this know how directly it speaks to the question of ethnic/religious differences.
Do you have something specifically in mind, Jay? (eg, are you referring to 1 Cor 13?) I just want to be sure and not miss something else.

Aqualung

Tasty
sojourner said:
Yeah, sorry! That was really poorly-worded. I just wondered if you were following something thematic between parable, lesson, etc.:bonk:

Actually the two citations do follow a certain train of thought of "correctness." Don't do something that others will think is incorrect, and don't give incorrect help. Maybe. What do you think?
I think this means to just keep yourself in such a way that others don't sin because of you. A lot people say that it's okay to dress like a **** or immodestly in any fashion because, after all, it's they who are sinning (lusting). Many christians hold this mindset. This just says to me that you will also be held accountable for dressing in such a way that so purposefully caused lust in your fellow man.