• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite kind of flower?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yup, the rain is great for gardens. I really struggle trying to garden here in the high plains desert. Annuals, forget it, and if it's not the dryness the deer munch down everything else. I planted about 200 bulbs in the fall and the deer have so far eaten every sprout before it bloomed. :(
Well, as long as you got to see them enjoy it, maybe it was worth it. :D (I know, probably not. I just think deer are so beautiful. I would love to be able to figure out a way to watch them feed in the winter.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I like them all, and I especially like tulips and glads, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be the flower of the mountain laurel:

mountainlaurel.jpg
mountainlaurel2.jpg
Oh, man! That's gorgeous!!!!!! Where do they grow? I want some -- BAD!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, as long as you got to see them enjoy it, maybe it was worth it. :D (I know, probably not. I just think deer are so beautiful. I would love to be able to figure out a way to watch them feed in the winter.)

Put up a salt lick.

lunamoth

Will to love

We have many many deer that make our neighborhood their permanent home, so wee see them all the time (and I mean many, every day). Many mornings I wake to find three to seven does in my yard, or a couple big bucks. Last spring one had her baby either right in my yard or in my neighbors. It is so cute to see the babies.

But, I miss having flowers and a veggie garden. I might try Rhonda's suggestion this year and see if it helps. I must admit I don't have a lot of confidence in deer repellants.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
But, I miss having flowers and a veggie garden. I might try Rhonda's suggestion this year and see if it helps. I must admit I don't have a lot of confidence in deer repellants.
Do you have room for fencing around a veggie garden? At least six feet high?

lunamoth

Will to love
Do you have room for fencing around a veggie garden? At least six feet high?

I've thought about that. We don't really have a lot of room for that, but we could put a cage around our small garden bed. I've thought about that...only good for the veggies though. Not much sense putting flowers behind an ugly fence!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I've thought about that. We don't really have a lot of room for that, but we could put a cage around our small garden bed. I've thought about that...only good for the veggies though. Not much sense putting flowers behind an ugly fence!
You could also try a green house and then have veggies all year around. I've thought of trying that myself because home grown tomatoes are infinitely better than tasteless store bought.

Have you tried looking up deer proof plants and flowers online?

lunamoth

Will to love
You could also try a green house and then have veggies all year around. I've thought of trying that myself because home grown tomatoes are infinitely better than tasteless store bought.

Have you tried looking up deer proof plants and flowers online?

I would love to have a greenhouse! Maybe someday. The are expensive to build and keep up though, and in this yard we really don't have the room for it.

I have some perennials that the deer don't seem to bother too much, and I have planters on my front porch that they seem to leave alone until fall. It is worth looking into more. I plan to put in a few more perennials in my front garden bed this spring or summer. I've noticed that they don't seem to like lavendar or some mint varieties I have.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

lunamoth

Will to love

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
We have many many deer that make our neighborhood their permanent home, so wee see them all the time (and I mean many, every day). Many mornings I wake to find three to seven does in my yard, or a couple big bucks. Last spring one had her baby either right in my yard or in my neighbors. It is so cute to see the babies.
If that happened to me, I'd think I'd died in the night and had gone to Heaven. We live right at the foothills of the Wasatch Range of the Rockies so I can sometimes drive for as little as five minutes or so and see some in the wild. I've never seen them come this far down out of the mountains, though. I just love dear to death. They are so gorgeous.

lunamoth

Will to love
If that happened to me, I'd think I'd died in the night and had gone to Heaven. We live right at the foothills of the Wasatch Range of the Rockies so I can sometimes drive for as little as five minutes or so and see some in the wild. I've never seen them come this far down out of the mountains, though. I just love dear to death. They are so gorgeous.

Well come visit me then! I actually feel like my home is a slice of heaven, and I'd love to share it with you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would love to have a greenhouse! Maybe someday. The are expensive to build and keep up though, and in this yard we really don't have the room for it.

I have some perennials that the deer don't seem to bother too much, and I have planters on my front porch that they seem to leave alone until fall. It is worth looking into more. I plan to put in a few more perennials in my front garden bed this spring or summer. I've noticed that they don't seem to like lavendar or some mint varieties I have.

Maybe something like this would work, Luna: Deer Repellent - Guardener&#8482 is an innovative deer repellent device to keep deer and animals away from your garden

Draka

Wonder Woman
For the pure smell of them...Hyacinth. Just LOVE their fragrance.
spaceball.gif

spring_bulbs.jpg

I also love daffodils.
daffodils.jpg

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Looks interesting Seyorni. Thank you! Have you tried this yourself?

No, i just saw it on TV. Ask this old House has a section Called What is it? which features some strange tool or implement while everyone posits some ridiculous guess as to what it is.