• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your Carbon Footprint?

Laika

Premium Member
Finding out your Carbon footprint can be a useful way to measure how much your lifestyle impacts on the environment and to find ways to reduce it. Here's a short(ish) quiz that tries to find out your carbon footprint.

http://footprint.wwf.org.uk

My carbon footprint is estimated at 106% share of the UK governments 2020 target or 10.9 tonnes of Carbon annually.

What did you get? :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
65%. Makes me wonder if it would be different for an American based one, since public train transportation just isn't a thing here and many areas do not have public buss/transportation options.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Gosh, i am astounded how high mine is by
this calculation ...

Your
carbon
footprint 56%

of your share

my total annual is 6.2 tonnes

clearly i needs reduce this.....

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Finding out your Carbon footprint can be a useful way to measure how much your lifestyle impacts on the environment and to find ways to reduce it. Here's a short(ish) quiz that tries to find out your carbon footprint.

My carbon footprint is estimated at 106% share of the UK governments 2020 target or 10.9 tonnes of Carbon annually.

Doesn't apply to me but got 75% but it's not asking the right questions

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Mine was 194%

However I don't live in the UK. Most of the questions were about money spent, I might have over exaggerated that since I just counted pounds the same as dollars.

I do not think this tool is accurate. I drive one compact and one sedan (no SUV, truck and stuff like that). Like most people here in my area of California, I drive all the time since there are no "tubes" or such, though I did just take BART train to the SFO airport to pick up a relative who just flew in from Abu Dhabi. So I always take the BART for such things, including if going to lunch in San Francisco, and in the City I mostly ride the cable cars.

But outside SF I am driving, no choice. And drive probably 30 miles each day, sometimes less. Miles are longer than kilometers.

I love ferries and would take a ferry a lot but we do not have any. That's one thing I love about Vancouver is the Sky train, ferries, etc.. LOVE riding in "boats".

When I retire I want to get a Tesla. Soon.

Wish we had a train that would run from SFO (BART stop) directly to Disneyland (Anaheim CA). Would take the train instead of airport or drive.

I have been driving since 16 years old. I am now over 60. I am sort of sick of it. I know those autopilot cars like Tesla (electric) are crashing but I will use autopilot a lot, especially on bridges.

In India, I hire my own personal driver. Would love to do that here in the US, since like I said I am sick of driving, and I am definetly going electric cars because they are a great product.

As far as food, I am very simple. I also grow some of my own food, and my wife shops food a lot at the local "farm" outlet which means open air market and local stuff not brick and mortar. I love going around and looking at the fruits, tomatos, breads and stuff like that. I find it very entertaining to look at open air/booth vegetables laid out or piled and wearing a jacket to stay warm while looking since it is getting cold right now. There is just something magical about being in a jacket, chill in the air in the open (bazaar style) market and looking at oranges, potatoes of many colors, peanuts and almonds, etc.. Like to eat chili mango if my wife isn't watching to yell at me. These are dried mango with red chili powder and bit of salt. Pure poison but you cannot stop. Not sure if that increases my carbon footprint, but I will eat chili mango even if illegal.

But I do not believe in man made "global warming". Climate change is normal.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My lifestyle is pretty low impact for a US citizen.
I walk to work, have a small house, detest AC, don't eat much meat....

But I feel entitled to burn all the gas I want, toss all the trash I want, pour all the chemicals down the storm drain I want.....
For one reason.
I don't have kids. I have saved this planet so much waste and destruction I feel morally entitled to do anything else I want to.

I have prevented so much "carbon footprint", and every other kind, that I see no reason to inconvenience myself in any way for the young people or the parents or anybody else who talks about climate change, but then sets off on decades worth of consumption.

Why should I? Can anybody give me a reason for caring about a world that neither God nor my fellow man cares about enough to do something important?
Tom

ScottySatan

I did a similar quiz once and found that pretty much everything you do is cancelled out by how much you fly. If you fly once a year, you have the average carbon footprint for an American. If you fly twice, you are twice the average American, etc.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I live a relatively modest lifestyle- I only got 279. But I'm guessing that 'large pertol car' in the UK probably isn't factoring in a 500 cubic inch V8, and nothing for power boating, lawnmowers, snowblowers, atvs, in that survey

so I'm thinking I probably score a little higher..

I'd love to see Al Gore's though!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
58%

Its a bit misleading because it doesn't ask how much you have contributed to overpopulation.
It's more misleading because they would have used typical degree-days for UK heating and cooling.

All else being equal, a house in Canada will have double or triple the heating carbon footprint of a house in the UK, just because of the different climates.

... and I'm not sure if they even worry about cooling degree days in the UK, but it's a significant portion of the carbon footprint here in Southern Canada... and in the southwest US or Florida, it's probably 3 or 4 times what it is here.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
ll else being equal, a house in Canada will have double or triple the heating carbon footprint of a house in the UK, just because of the different climates.
There are so many details that matter.
Back when I did one it came from a buddy that bleeds green. He was annoyed when I scored better than he did. The main reason was the simplicity of the "housing" questions. Mine is smaller and neither of us used AC. That was about all that they asked.
His is a custom built, earth sheltered, super efficient house. Mine is a 110 year old cottage with a natural gas furnace from the 50s, about 50%efficient. My antique windows leak heat like a sieve. His annual heating bill is a rick and a half of invasive species tree wood he cuts off his property.
But the questions weren't asked and I won that competition.
:)
Tom

GoodbyeDave

I got 81%, but that's an over estimate. They ask you how much you spend on clothes, for example, but high spending may not mean a lot of purchases, just high quality. My £1500 overcoat has less impact than cheap clothes imported from India at the same cost.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I got 81%, but that's an over estimate. They ask you how much you spend on clothes, for example, but high spending may not mean a lot of purchases, just high quality. My £1500 overcoat has less impact than cheap clothes imported from India at the same cost.
This.
I just had an argument with my spouse. He wanted to buy a low price item, because it's cheap. I want to buy a more expensive model because it will work better and last longer. It's cheaper in the long run. Lower impact than buying three cheap ones over ten years.
Tom