• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You couldn't script that could you? If you wrote that for a comedy it'd be rejected as too absurd

True, i saw it on French news last night and didn't believe my ears so did a new search on Google.

I wonder why uk business was not told about this during the brexit campaign?

Altfish

Veteran Member
EsrsfPzXUAAk32a

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
...which confirms EU member states are like hostages in chains.
Thank you for acknowledging that.;)

//facepalm

It's called an "alliance".

A hostage is held against its will.
Every EU member explicitly agreed to join the alliance and deal with non-eu nations as one block.

It's in fact the whole point of it. It gives them leverage in trade agreements and negotiations.

:rolleyes:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
...I guess the EU is desperately trying to convince Britain to rejoin?....or it is just my impression?:rolleyes:

Did you perhaps expect that the UK would be able to leave the customs union and the single market, while keeping all the perks and privileges of being in the customs union and single market?

Are you on dope?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
//facepalm

It's called an "alliance".

A hostage is held against its will.
Every EU member explicitly agreed to join the alliance and deal with non-eu nations as one block.

It's in fact the whole point of it. It gives them leverage in trade agreements and negotiations.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, and we managed to leave, right?
No chains.
Possibly there will be other EU member states keeping an eye on how the UK fares outside.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't see it.

On this i agree, but we see things differently, you use the words but want destruction of the EU, i want it to address is problems as any organisation does for improvement

Indeed.

He wants to throw the baby out along with the bath water.

Even with all its faults, the EU still remains the only realistic path forwards if we (= all member nations) collectively want to mean anything on the global world stage.

Obviously a "united states of europe" is going to have to take a very different shape then a "USA". We don't speak the same language, have different cultures, etc.

This makes it obviously harder to "unite" in a way that works for everybody.

But the fact remains, a crappy union still serves all of us better then no union.

So it's a matter of taking the "crappy" out with clever and well thought out reforms.

*note: I don't think the EU is that crappy at all though. Sure it has its challenges, but right wingers tend to exaggerate them greatly, while also ignoring all the good.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Indeed.

He wants to throw the baby out along with the bath water.

Even with all its faults, the EU still remains the only realistic path forwards if we (= all member nations) collectively want to mean anything on the global world stage.

Obviously a "united states of europe" is going to have to take a very different shape then a "USA". We don't speak the same language, have different cultures, etc.

This makes it obviously harder to "unite" in a way that works for everybody.

But the fact remains, a crappy union still serves all of us better then no union.

So it's a matter of taking the "crappy" out with clever and well thought out reforms.

*note: I don't think the EU is that crappy at all though. Sure it has its challenges, but right wingers tend to exaggerate them greatly, while also ignoring all the good.

Well said sir, i am 100% with that.

But a point, the USA speaks the same language(ish) but the tensions and murders in the name of left vs right, black vs white, we do not need

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well said sir, i am 100% with that.

But a point, the USA speaks the same language(ish) but the tensions and murders in the name of left vs right, black vs white, we do not need
Indeed.

When "comparing" a USE with a USA, people also tend to forget how artificial the US really is. One only has to compare the maps of both in terms of nation/state borders for that to become apparant:

upload_2021-1-28_14-30-34.png

vs

upload_2021-1-28_14-31-37.png

The US literally looks as if someone took a map and a ruler and just divided up the country in a hurry.

Even in cities, the same trend appears...

New York:

upload_2021-1-28_14-33-23.png

Antwerp:

upload_2021-1-28_14-34-2.png

Same for the names of the streets. They are literally numbered in the cities like New York. There's no cultural history or heritage there. "3th street", "5th street", "2nd avenue" etc.

The US has like, no cultural heritage at all, compared to Europe. The US goes back what... 3-4 centuries?
The various cultures of Europe go back literally thousands of years.

In fact, I'ld even dare say that the cultural difference between the north of the US and the south of the US is smaller then the north of Belgium and the south of Belgium. I can drive south from Antwerp barely 100 km and it's like I'm in another country, while I never even left tiny Belgium.

We shouldn't be dissing the EU that it is not yet at the stage/level that most of us would want it to be...
Instead, we should be amazingly proud that we even managed to get it at this level, considering our collective history.

For centuries we dutch people and you french folks were almost like mortal enemies.
Same with france and the british.
Same with plenty of other cultures throughout the continent.

And look at us now.... Actually working together instead of killing eachother.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Today i recieved an email from
Stay European

This snippet makes eye watering reading.
.............​

We're still not even a month into Brexit, and shellfish firms' lorries are driving around Westminster to tell the government that they face collapse because of Brexit red tape. Their seafood is rotting and export firms are on the brink of bankruptcy.

The fish market at the Scottish port of Peterhead, usually Europe's biggest, has become a 'ghost town', with Scottish fishing vessels landing their catch in Denmark instead.

A boat that catches a tenth of Britain's cod and haddock has been stuck in port since 5 December. British pork is stuck rotting in the Netherlands. This is just a snapshot: there are a hundred more stories like it.

The government says these are "teething problems" caused by exporters "not filling in the right forms" – but this not true. Being outside the single market was always going to lead here. Meat and fish industries are some of the first hit, but won't be the only ones.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Today i recieved an email from
Stay European

This snippet makes eye watering reading.
.............​

We're still not even a month into Brexit, and shellfish firms' lorries are driving around Westminster to tell the government that they face collapse because of Brexit red tape. Their seafood is rotting and export firms are on the brink of bankruptcy.

The fish market at the Scottish port of Peterhead, usually Europe's biggest, has become a 'ghost town', with Scottish fishing vessels landing their catch in Denmark instead.

A boat that catches a tenth of Britain's cod and haddock has been stuck in port since 5 December. British pork is stuck rotting in the Netherlands. This is just a snapshot: there are a hundred more stories like it.

The government says these are "teething problems" caused by exporters "not filling in the right forms" – but this not true. Being outside the single market was always going to lead here. Meat and fish industries are some of the first hit, but won't be the only ones.
Uhu.

The fresh food industry for import/export specifically is going to get massive hits.

Even with all the "required forms" filled out perfectly, there is simply no way anymore that someone anywhere on the continent is going to eat a fish for dinner which was taken out of the sea by a British fishing boat earlier that same morning. They'll have to pivot to exporting frozen fish me thinks.

And the continent will get its fresh fish from other EU nations.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And look at us now.... Actually working together instead of killing eachother.
...And Europeans are going to be a minority within the world population. Sooner or later. So a United Europe is much more than a trade community...it is a spiritual union, and it includes Switzerland, Norway and all the others who did not join.
So..we are not in the conditions to dictate anything to the British. They decided to leave and we should be their allies, no matter what they ask for.

ChristineM

Premium Member
...And Europeans are going to be a minority within the world population. Sooner or later. So a United Europe is much more than a trade community...it is a spiritual union, and it includes Switzerland, Norway and all the others who did not join.
So..we are not in the conditions to dictate anything to the British. They decided to leave and we should be their allies, no matter what they ask for.

Yes they decided to leave but i can assure you they are not going to drag Europe down with them.

When their requests are fair and beneficial to both parties then no problem in meeting them half way. When their demands are greedy, one sided and/or a detrement to Europe then Boris and co can go whistle

ChristineM

Premium Member
I gave you a winner, for that epic win decision. :D

Sorry, somehow I thought you actually were natively french.

Im afraid not, i do have french drivers license, pay tax in france, have a carte vitale (health) and carte sejour (residency). Pretty soon i will be applying for french nationality.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Actually i am British, living in France, we moved here before brexit for variois different reasons. Brexit only confirmed we had made the correct decision
I must admit, I do not feel British any longer; certainly not English. The English and Union flags have been hijacked by racists.
If it wasn't for the grandchildren we'd be off.

No longer the country I was born in...

ChristineM

Premium Member
I must admit, I do not feel British any longer; certainly not English. The English and Union flags have been hijacked by racists.
If it wasn't for the grandchildren we'd be off.

No longer the country I was born in...

I saw it comeing back with the NF, BNP etc. And I've always felt more European than English/British