• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
But, as you are well aware, the Leave that we were sold is nothing like the Leave we are likely to get.
We were promised deals, trade agreements and £350m/week for NHS - all proved to be lies - it is not like a General Election when 5-years later you can kick the liars out.

We were promised lies from both sides,the one thing I've learned from brexit is how fragile the EU is without us,maybe soon Italy and Spain,it's always been a house of cards imo.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It was an attempt to reduce a complex problem to a simple question. People could only vote based on the information given - and the information given by the leave campaign was totally inaccurate when compared to the reality we are now facing.

If you bought something from Amazon, and the product description was as inaccurate as the leave campaign, there would be no doubt that you would have the right to change your mind - despite the "buy now" button being a "simple question".

Why should the citizens of the UK, making one of the most important choices in modern history, have less rights than somebody buying a shirt online?

Yet still a simple question,how many choices would you accept?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I would also add,how many people above 18 to 30 should be allowed to vote and what their education level should be,obviously such a complex question is way too difficult for the "man in the street".
Using the same logic, I would also say that all those of retirement age should not be allowed to vote because...
  • Many are senile
  • Many are losing their minds
  • Many still hark back to Empire
  • They will be dead before the consequences of their votes comes to fruition.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I would also add,how many people above 18 to 30 should be allowed to vote and what their education level should be,obviously such a complex question is way too difficult for the "man in the street".

How many of the people who voted had all three of the time, the inclination, and the aptitude to make a truly informed choice? I did my best but there were still aspects that were news to me after the vote. This is supposed to be a representative democracy - complex questions like this are the problem with direct democracy. Contrary to what the popularists tell you, we need to rely on experts.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
How many of the people who voted had all three of the time, the inclination, and the aptitude to make a truly informed choice? I did my best but there were still aspects that were news to me after the vote. This is supposed to be a representative democracy - complex questions like this are the problem with direct democracy. Contrary to what the popularists tell you, we need to rely on experts.

That's great,point out the "experts",given that most are self serving,which exert should we trust,me I trust none of them so it's down to me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's great,point out the "experts",given that most are self serving,which exert should we trust,me I trust none of them so it's down to me.
No, that is how politicians try to smear them.
Yes, "Experts" can be bought, but that is easy to find out.
The likes of Rees Mogg calling out Doctors appointed by his own Government because he disagreed with their findings is disgraceful. We are in the mess we are today because politicians, not experts, are telling us what is best for us 0 they are telling us based on no evidence just dogma.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Using the same logic, I would also say that all those of retirement age should not be allowed to vote because...
  • Many are senile

Is a voter over 18 worth less,I hate this,this is the best that remain can come up with,"you are too old too vote",really very poor imo.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is a voter over 18 worth less,I hate this,this is the best that remain can come up with,"you are too old too vote",really very poor imo.
No, the original post disagreed with the young voters, I was giving it balance. I AM ONE OF THESE OLDER VOTERS, so I am condemning myself.
I would argue when we are deciding the future that will affect us for the next 50 years, anyone over 10 should have a vote and no one over 50.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The likes of Rees Mogg calling out Doctors appointed by his own Government because he disagreed with their findings is disgraceful. We are in the mess we are today because politicians, not experts, are telling us what is best for us 0 they are telling us based on no evidence just dogma.

Boris,Rees mogg mean zilch to me,I only see a vote and the EU for what it is or rather France and Germany,

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

OK - so why is this choice important? In what way has the UK being in the EU so affected your life, made it so terrible, that you think it worth the risk of ruining real people's lives (job losses, shortages of medicines etc.), the economy in general, peace in NI, and the integrity of the UK, in order to be rid of it?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
OK - so why is this choice important? In what way has the UK being in the EU so affected your life, made it so terrible, that you think it worth the risk of ruining real people's lives (job losses, shortages of medicines etc.), the economy in general, peace in NI, and the integrity of the UK, in order to be rid of it?

It's It's importance is what was chosen,that is enough.

Notanumber

A Free Man
  • Many are senile

Hitler would have sent them to the death camps and the Left are heading in that direction if they are not stopped in their tracks.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yet another Brexiteer who can't answer that question. :rolleyes:

What about the right of changing your mind if the description of what you were sold proves to be inaccurate?

If that was true the whole of Britain's political landscape would be so different,what if Britain never fought in Iraq (big lie by Blair),we are sold **** every day,it's a worldwide commodity.

Notanumber

A Free Man

That doctor was a fear monger.