• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, and I won't . But if it hits our market and is (say) 20% cheaper; then the less well off buy it. That leaves our farmers who are meeting higher standards with a smaller market.

Why should the less well off be forced to pay higher prices if they are satisfied with goods at a lower price.

I say give them a choice. We have the option of paying higher prices for organic food and farmers seem to be doing fine with that.

When we get our trade deal with the US, we might get the option of cheaper medicines. Will that not be a benefit?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why should the less well off be forced to pay higher prices if they are satisfied with goods at a lower price.

I say give them a choice. We have the option of paying higher prices for organic food and farmers seem to be doing fine with that.

When we get our trade deal with the US, we might get the option of cheaper medicines. Will that not be a benefit?
Have you seen the price of medicines in the US!!!
You obviously understand that jobs will fly out of the country as soon as we leave the EU - US are cheap because their H&S laws are more lax, their hygiene is more lax. Do I have to repost those salmonella figures?
What you are saying is, "Let the poor catch salmonella, that's ok"

Altfish

Veteran Member

You obviously understand that jobs will fly out of the country as soon as we leave the EU - US are cheap because their H&S laws are more lax, their hygiene is more lax. Do I have to repost those salmonella figures?

Notanumber

A Free Man

Dopey as our current government is I cannot believe that even they would allow such things to occur even without the EU breathing down our necks.

If they are, our population is not. If we are given the facts we are grown up enough to make our own decisions.

Accurate food marking is the key including Halal identification.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Dopey as our current government is I cannot believe that even they would allow such things to occur even without the EU breathing down our necks.

If they are, our population is not. If we are given the facts we are grown up enough to make our own decisions.

Accurate food marking is the key including Halal identification.
BUT you just said we can have the US food and medicine of lower standards ... make your mind up

Altfish

Veteran Member
We can have what the informed public wants to have. No one is forcing them to have it, unlike Halal foods.
But in these post Brexit days if our farmers want to sell produce to Europe they have to abide by EU guidelines - the same farm or abattoir cannot also try to match the US standards.
Mind you if we are trading on WTO terms no one will be able to afford our produce.

Altfish

Veteran Member
D Day veteran Mr Chardin said at yesterday's celebrations....

"Well, I hope it continues, it worries me that, the Brexit worries me, in that respect, I can't help feeling that it would be an awful shame if, we've gone through so much trouble to do, to collect the European nations together, to break it all up now would be a crying shame I feel."

His conversation was summed up by the journalist who interviewed him ...
"For all the brexiteers talking about how we “survived the war so we’ll survive Brexit” like they were personally dodging bullets on the beach of Normandy as a sperm, here’s what someone who actually lived through the war thinks of your ridiculous project."

Notanumber

A Free Man
But in these post Brexit days if our farmers want to sell produce to Europe they have to abide by EU guidelines - the same farm or abattoir cannot also try to match the US standards.
Mind you if we are trading on WTO terms no one will be able to afford our produce.

The moral of the story is, don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Notanumber

A Free Man
D Day veteran Mr Chardin said at yesterday's celebrations....

"Well, I hope it continues, it worries me that, the Brexit worries me, in that respect, I can't help feeling that it would be an awful shame if, we've gone through so much trouble to do, to collect the European nations together, to break it all up now would be a crying shame I feel."

His conversation was summed up by the journalist who interviewed him ...
"For all the brexiteers talking about how we “survived the war so we’ll survive Brexit” like they were personally dodging bullets on the beach of Normandy as a sperm, here’s what someone who actually lived through the war thinks of your ridiculous project."

He is entitled to his point of view.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

American Prices for Medicines are far higher than in the UK. the NHS is the largest purchaser of medications in the world and already buys from the USA on its own terms, and with out tariffs. So what is likely to change?

There is no evidence that American food will be any cheaper than now. The argument is over allowing imports of food that do not meet British standards. This should not be permitted at any price.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A lot of the argument is over the import of chlorinated Chicken from the USA.
Chlorination is required in the USA to ameliorate the high levels of bacteria introduced by their production methods.

However our own chickens with low levels of bacteria would not be allowed to be imported, as they are, into the USA and would need to be chlorinated to comply with their regulations.
We would both need to change our requirements and standards to permit Free trade in these products, to produce a level playing field. This is not a likely outcome.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You are ignoring the statistics I posted.
Yes, the uK has instances of food poisoning BUT greatly less per head of population than the US

I know you thing FACTS are fake News and Project Fear but they are also true.

Notanumber

A Free Man
This is what we are having to deal with. A government that is colluding with their masters.

A criminal has given the Brexit Party another opportunity to show our rotten parliament the way to go.