• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with thinking......?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the whole wide wonderful world has accepted the wrong interpretation of Matthew 28:19.
I can tell by now that there are no religiously inclined people who care that what Jesus is said to have said is being taught wrong.

It actually isn't my opinion or my own interpretation of Matthew 28:19 that tells me it is being taught wrong.
I can actually see that it was changed.

Might it have said what they say it says and then been changed to what the oldest manuscript available says it says and then changed back to what they say he said? I do not know.

But even if Jesus had really said that it is a disciple's job to make more disciples it was once changed.

Changing what people call "God's Word" is far beyond unwise. And because they mix their idea of God with people's ideas can it still be said that they are a religion?

Unwise is what they believe of me. I do not believe that of them. It is my opinion so far that their mistake has done me good. (I think that I would not be able to laugh had I not been taught to be a disciple.)

What is wrong with my thinking that secular people should care?

Is to make a disciple, not an invasive procedure? Do not invasions cause retaliation?

Can retaliations lead to worse consequences? I think yes.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Ok what do you think has changed or is not right?

; {>

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Ok what do you think has changed or is not right?

; {>

3100 [e] mathēteusate μαθητεύσατε disciple V-AMA-2P
3956 [e] panta πάντα all Adj-ANP
3588 [e] ta τὰ the Art-ANP
1484 [e] ethnē ἔθνη, nations, N-ANP

V is for verb

mathéteuó: to be a disciple, to make a disciple
Original Word: μαθητεύω
Part of Speech: Verb

"To make" was added and the verb disciple (which means to be trained by a certain teacher/leader) was changed to a noun and a plural noun.

That makes three changes.

1. Make was added.
2. Disciple was changed to a noun.
and
3. Disciple was made plural.

Do you also believe like most people do that to be a disciple means the same thing as to be making someone else a disciple?

Do you reject the idea that to be a disciple of Jesus means to be taught by him?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is how it seems like to me that most people read Matthew 28:19.

Be my disciple by making other people be my disciples.

Is it a no wonder that people who want to make some sense of the world do not become disciples of Jesus Christ?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To be a disciple of Jesus Christ means to be taught by him.

Is this correct?

WHO does Matthew 28:19 (as we can see it is written) say should be the teacher with his disciples?

I understand that later it says a disciple is "to teach them". But most people assume it means to teach them how to be a disciple. How can someone who is learning to be a disciple teach someone else how to do it?

What does it mean "teach"? The words perhaps? To teach means to tell people what other people have said what God has said. To know the words is to be able to evaluate ideas.

That is not how Matthew 28:19-20 reads. It reads as though a disciple is to give to others The Way.

Guess what? I assume I am a disciple but Heaven forbids that I have The Way in order that
I might give it away.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I think the whole wide wonderful world has accepted the wrong interpretation of Matthew 28:19.
I can tell by now that there are no religiously inclined people who care that what Jesus is said to have said is being taught wrong.

It actually isn't my opinion or my own interpretation of Matthew 28:19 that tells me it is being taught wrong.
I can actually see that it was changed.

Might it have said what they say it says and then been changed to what the oldest manuscript available says it says and then changed back to what they say he said? I do not know.

But even if Jesus had really said that it is a disciple's job to make more disciples it was once changed.

Changing what people call "God's Word" is far beyond unwise. And because they mix their idea of God with people's ideas can it still be said that they are a religion?

Unwise is what they believe of me. I do not believe that of them. It is my opinion so far that their mistake has done me good. (I think that I would not be able to laugh had I not been taught to be a disciple.)

What is wrong with my thinking that secular people should care?

Is to make a disciple, not an invasive procedure? Do not invasions cause retaliation?

Can retaliations lead to worse consequences? I think yes.

I agree, i think it was changed. It makes no sense how it is. First he is saying all power in heaven and Earth has been given to himself Jesus. Then it only makes sense that therefore Go baptize into his name Jesus, like it says to do everywhere else in scripture. Looks like the pope penned in Father Son and Holy Ghost so that he didn't have to use Jesus name to go baptizing in. Maybe the Jews helped hold the paper for him.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To be a disciple of Jesus Christ means to be taught by him.
But what the Bible teaches is that to be a disciple means to be taught by another and other disciples.
The changed the class setting. For instead of the class being taught by the Teacher it is being taught by the class. Like maybe, the teacher is missing?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree, i think it was changed. It makes no sense how it is. First he is saying all power in heaven and Earth has been given to himself Jesus. Then it only makes sense that therefore Go baptize into his name Jesus, like it says to do everywhere else in scripture. Looks like the pope penned in Father Son and Holy Ghost so that he didn't have to use Jesus name to go baptizing in. Maybe the Jews helped hold the paper for him.
OK. I have practiced thinking today.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was tending the thread toward a discussion about my belief that people other than New Testament presumed followers should care about what Matthew 28:19-20 might really have been written saying.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Someone said, "correct ideas........effect desirable outcomes".
That is why I believe people should reconsider what Matthew 28:19 really said.

How can anyone be sure? Check out the rest of the Bible. Can you find the same idea anywhere else in it?

NOT preaching and NOT teaching. Just making. Where else is it written that God wants anyone to make anything? Ok, other than a temple.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If it is true that correct ideas effect desirable outcomes is it also true that incorrect ideas effect undesirable outcomes? I don't know. I have to guess that both are true.