• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Sabine Hossenfelder asks this much needed OP question here:

(Continues here: https://iai.tv/assets/videos/linked/HTLGI2020_What's wrong with physics.HD.mp4

If the physicists counts on the apple><apple theory only to govern the Universe, they´ll logically need both energy and alternate explanations for everything which regards the 3 more stronger and real fundamental forces and their qualities.

05.Fundamental Forces.PNG

It´s not only the definition of "gravity" which is the weakest of all fundamental forces - all its attached arguments are the weakest too.

04.leonard Cohen Light.PNG

The obvious solution: Let the E&M light into to numerous dark cracks of modern cosmological physics.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If the physicists counts on the apple><apple theory only to govern the Universe,

They don't, they rely on observation and measurement

they´ll logically need both energy and alternate explanations for everything which regards the 3 more stronger and real fundamental forces and their qualities.

The fundimental forces are know, no alternative explanation required.

It´s not only the definition of "gravity" which is the weakest of all fundamental forces - all its attached arguments are the weakest too.

Correct, gravity is not completely understood but it is understood well enough to know its properties.

The obvious solution: Let the E&M light into to numerous dark cracks of modern cosmological physics.

So you think using a quote from a non physicist would fill in what is not yet understood about physics?

So how did jesus walk on water? How did god part the sea? And how did he make everything from nothing?

Native

There is not much wrong with physics that a few brain cells and a course in physics can't remedy.
The OP here is NOT to deny or deminish the problems, but to recognize these and the used methodology. You can get back when you´ve listened to the linked video contents.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
There is not much wrong with physics that a few brain cells and a course in physics can't remedy.

Well, except for having no theory of quantum gravity and being clueless about dark matter and dark energy. Just little things like that to work out, for starts. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, except for having no theory of quantum gravity and being clueless about dark matter and dark energy. Just little things like that to work out, for starts. :)
Yes indeed, those things are the current big outstanding issues. There will always be outstanding issues in science. None of these issues stops almost all of physics from working very well indeed.

Altfish

Veteran Member
But isn't that exciting.
"We don't know" and "We're not sure" are great and valid answers.
People are working at this very moment to discover more and hopefully answer the questions.
I doesn't mean there is anything wrong with physics. Physics is fine and its knowledge is expanding

Native

People are working at this very moment to discover more and hopefully answer the questions.
I doesn't mean there is anything wrong with physics. Physics is fine and its knowledge is expanding
I don´t think Sabine Hossenfelder quite agree with you in this in her video. (Did you even watched this?)

Altfish

Veteran Member
I don´t think Sabine Hossenfelder quite agree with you in this in her video. (Did you even watched this?)
Of course I watched it.
As far as I can ascertain, she is talking about the elements of physics that aren't proven. Areas that we only have hypothesis for; physicists including Sabine know these gaps, it is not "Wrong" it is just not understood.
A bad title for the video

ChristineM

Premium Member

Methinks you have deliberately misunderstood Sabine Hossenfelder. But i wouldn't expected much else

Native

As far as I can ascertain, she is talking about the elements of physics that aren't proven. Areas that we only have hypothesis for; physicists including Sabine know these gaps, it is not "Wrong" it is just not understood.
A bad title for the video
So you rely on Sabine Hossenfelder when it comes to understanding physics - but not when it comes to her personal choice of her personal video title?

What isn´t fully understood, is per definition wrong.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So you rely on Sabine Hossenfelder when it comes to understanding physics - but not when it comes to her personal choice of her personal video title?

What isn´t fully understood, is per definition wrong.
?????? What are you talking about???

Because we don't understand a galaxy on the far side of the Universe that means that galaxy is wrong.

Dark Matter is not 'wrong' it is just not understood. There is a big difference

Native

Because we don't understand a galaxy on the far side of the Universe that means that galaxy is wrong.
Of course not.
Dark Matter is not 'wrong' it is just not understood.
And the very REASON for the invention of "dark matter" was that the standard theories of celestial motion was directly contradicted in galaxies. And instead of discarding the theory and looked at the problem from other fundamental forces but the weak gravity, scientists just added "some stuff" which could save their over 350 years old theories.

With your own sentense:
There is a big difference

ChristineM

Premium Member
And the very REASON for the invention of "dark matter" was that the standard theories of celestial motion was directly contradicted in galaxies.

And i will tell you again, 'dark matter" can be indirectly observed. And no doubt you will ignore again...

The effects of dark matter can be measured. It is unknown what it is (as yet intergalactic travel has not been invented) so i can expecte some time before direct measurement.

The fact that it was where before astronomers understood what was causing the oddities of galactic motion has more to do with continued education rather than stomping your foot and shouting .. "wrong, wrong, wrong. It's not understood so it must be wrong." Do you see how limiting such a claim is to personal education?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
But isn't that exciting.
"We don't know" and "We're not sure" are great and valid answers.

Yes, absolutely! Our ignorance about so many fundamental aspects of our universe is what makes science so interesting and exciting.

"If there is anything that can bind the heavenly mind of man to this dreary exile of our earthly home and can reconcile us with our fate so that one can enjoy living,—then it is verily the enjoyment of the mathematical sciences and astronomy."

- Kepler

Wandering Monk

And i will tell you again, 'dark matter" can be indirectly observed. And no doubt you will ignore again...

The effects of dark matter can be measured. It is unknown what it is (as yet intergalactic travel has not been invented) so i can expecte some time before direct measurement.

The fact that it was where before astronomers understood what was causing the oddities of galactic motion has more to do with continued education rather than stomping your foot and shouting .. "wrong, wrong, wrong. It's not understood so it must be wrong." Do you see how limiting such a claim is to personal education?

There was a Greek fellow a few centuries before Christ who proposed the existence of atoms, yet it was millenia before we could put that hypothesis to the test. Even then, we had not yet seen an atom, but we had learned enough about its properties to create all kinds of useful thing. Eventually our technology developed to the point where we could actually see the electron cloud around atoms using tunneling electron microscopes.

You have made a good point: as our tools improve, we can answer those questions which were unanswerable. Because something is unanswerable doesn't mean it will always be so, nor does it mean it is wrong.