• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's worse Necrophilia or Homosexuality?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
In the Bible I think you'll find that homosexuality, that is loving another living human being, is morally worse than having sex with a corpse.

What does that tell you about Biblical ethics?

It tells me they're pretty fudged up.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Paul, if this is the case, then i agree with you that there is something seriously wrong here... however, although i have done research into biblical condemnation of homosexuality, i know nothing of biblical condemnation of necrophilia - could you possibly go someway towards filling in this blank please?

thanks in advance :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
In the Bible I think you'll find that homosexuality, that is loving another living human being, is morally worse than having sex with a corpse.

What does that tell you about Biblical ethics?

Does the Bible specifically talk about necrophila ?..and I think (put me right if I am wrong) that it isn't homosexuality in itself, but the sexual act...

I mean, leviticus 21:11
Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;

Isn't that about Necrophilia ?

Seraphiel

It's only the perception of that person who wrote that particular text and the perception of the people who read it while translating it. It could be that people thought that way many years ago. I don't think people should see this as the only right perception today. Today the world is very different.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Mike182 said:
Paul, if this is the case, then i agree with you that there is something seriously wrong here... however, although i have done research into biblical condemnation of homosexuality, i know nothing of biblical condemnation of necrophilia - could you possibly go someway towards filling in this blank please?
That's part of the problem Mike, there practically is nothing!

The best i could find is this from Leviticus 21:11;

"Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;"

Even this meager rule only applies to High Priests.
And what's better is that other interpretations (the above is from the KJV) have that passage read as 'neither shall he go into a room with a dead body'.

Compared to the multitude of rules for homosexuality... the mind boggles.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Halcyon said:
That's part of the problem Mike, there practically is nothing!

The best i could find is this from Leviticus 21:11;

"Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;"

Even this meager rule only applies to High Priests.
And what's better is that other interpretations (the above is from the KJV) have that passage read as 'neither shall he go into a room with a dead body'.

Compared to the multitude of rules for homosexuality... the mind boggles.

could this be one of those "it wasn't mentioned in the bible because everyone already knew it was wrong, it would be silly to include rules on that when i could clarify and legislate on a more important issue people deal with"?

Booko

Deviled Hen
If it's anything having to do with being ritually unclean, I'd really want to see what Jewish tradition has to say about it.

Trying to understand this one line thousands of years later without much by way of context is potentially iffy.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Mike182 said:
could this be one of those "it wasn't mentioned in the bible because everyone already knew it was wrong, it would be silly to include rules on that when i could clarify and legislate on a more important issue people deal with"?
I'd find that very hard to believe.

There are rules for homosexuality, bestiality, masterbation, divorce and remarriage, incest etc, i'd be very surprised if no one at that time had ever contemplated necrophilia.

Considering the uncleanliness associated with dead bodies (and there are an abundance of rules concerning how bodies should be handled, by whom, when and in what fashion in the bible) i'm astounded that there are is no condemnation of necrophilia.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
the Bible says that all sins are equal, and God hates them all equally. It's humans who say that one sin is worse than another. To God, stealing a candybar is just as bad as stealing the Star of Africa diamond.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Anade said:
the Bible says that all sins are equal, and God hates them all equally. It's humans who say that one sin is worse than another. To God, stealing a candybar is just as bad as stealing the Star of Africa diamond.
That's kind of the point Anade, the Bible doesn't say necrophilia is a sin. Unless you're a high priest, and even then the translation is debateable for that.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
That's kind of the point Anade, the Bible doesn't say necrophilia is a sin. Unless you're a high priest, and even then the translation is debateable for that.

But the Bible does say that sexual immorality is a sin...same differance, necrophilia would fall under the sexual immorality category as far as I'm concerned.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Anade said:
But the Bible does say that sexual immorality is a sin...same differance, necrophilia would fall under the sexual immorality category as far as I'm concerned.
I can understand that.

However, why do you think there is mention of homosexuality, bestiality, masterbation, adultery, incest and condemnation of each, but no specific condemnation of necrophilia?

love

tri-polar optimist
To even think of having sex with a dead body is to go out of bounds with any rules that have do to morality, self respect and is down right sick. When men leave the natural copulation with a women and seek sexual gratification with another man it is because of fleshly lust. A Godly man should curb his lust.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
However, why do you think there is mention of homosexuality, bestiality, masterbation, adultery, incest and condemnation of each, but no specific condemnation of necrophilia?

Maybe it wasn't as common in those times...? I don't know, but all that really matters to me as that all sexual immorality is condemned. And incest, masturbation, and beastiality are not specifically condenmed in the new testament, as far as I know, only adultery, homosexuality, and sexual immorality. And the NT is what really matters to Christians today. If God had tried to list every possible sin in the Bible, list everything we are not supposed to do, it would be a very big book...

love

tri-polar optimist
Halcyon, you have pretty much covered all of the sexual deviations that are not from what is natural and intended by God. Your even continuing with these questions lead me to wonder about your intent.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Anade said:
Maybe it wasn't as common in those times...?

I wonder if burial traditions today are as they were then? You have 24 hours to bury the deceased. And in between, the body is washed and shrouded, etc., so there are people around. And it's not like people were living in a city of 50 million -- the body was in your own household, with plenty of people moving about.

I'm not sure there would've been a lot of opportunity, even if someone had the idea.

Booko

Deviled Hen
love said:
Halcyon, you have pretty much covered all of the sexual deviations that are not from what is natural and intended by God. Your even continuing with these questions lead me to wonder about your intent.

It would be better to ask then, and not have to wonder any more. ;)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not believe there is an exhaustive list of sins.
and for good reason...

The inventiveness of man.

Man is always finding new ways to pervert the will of God.

We tend to name things as sins that our society does not like.
This is not the same as sins in the sight of God.
I do not even trust the list that we read into the Bible.

We know when we are acting in a way that will displease God...
That is acting sinfully, and it is never hidden from God.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
love said:
:rolleyes: yes, Paul's just itching for mother teresa