• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Worse: Climate Change, Terrorism or Fake News

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Climate change is an existential threat, extending far beyond the current news cycle or political problems.
It's definitely the worst of the three choices.
Tom
But with fake news, we may not even know the true extent of that threat.

I think misinformation is the most dangerous thing of all.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
What's your alternative? Create a State media like North Korea to make sure there's no more fake news?:laughing:
Or just make people uphold basic tenets of journalism, like giving sources, differentiating news from opinion and clearly labeling both, minimizing harm, being clear about who your backers are, and reporting the story as you hear it. In other words, hold journalists to the same standards as high schoolers writing English papers. This stuff seriously shouldn't be hard, but somehow many of our major news outlets have been failing so fantastically at it they're shriveling up and dying (CNN, Vox, Buzzfeed...)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Fake news can be fixed by not using fake news sites. They do it for ratings. They are given people what they want, so stop wanting it.

Global warming, not much can be done about it except we can prepare for climate change.

I'd say terrorism. We have had devastating terrorist attacks that have impacted many.

Statistically, terrorism is a drop in the bucket. It won't make the last page of the news when a billion people lose their homes to the rising seas.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Statistically, terrorism is a drop in the bucket. It won't make the last page of the news when a billion people lose their homes to the rising seas.

When that happens, then there will be statistics. I'm assuming you don't actually have statistics on something that hasn't happen yet to do an actual comparison. In the meantime one can always recommend folks move inland to prepare.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I'd say it makes sense that many would consider fake news FROM ANY SOURCE to be more of a problem than the other two and these are my reasons why I believe this:

I'd say the vast majority of people will never be a victim of or personally know anyone that is a victim of a terrorist attack therefore it seems less personal and pressing.

I'd say the vast majority of people understand that when it comes to climate change there is little we can do about it and at the end of the day they can still go out to eat, watch a movie, or whatever else they want to do so they don't think about it as much being fat and happy.

When it comes to fake news it is more personal and direct, news and information from outside sources is our only windows to the world outside our immediate circles. We should be able to trust news sites but only a fool actually would since so many are bought and paid for to serve other masters. The only way is to research a number of sites including opposing ones and find the basic truths they all agree on beyond their respective spin and rhetoric and one would probably be close to the most likely truth. Then again the kids say they are hungry, the dog needs out and after working all day who wants to spend the rest of their time researching? It would be a full time unpaid job.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
This is how I think it plays out...

Fake news makes people doubt what they read. When they doubt what they read, then they doubt climate change, terrorism or any other subject.

I think Fake News is the biggest problem because news (or should I say unbiased facts) is what gives power to the people to fix things whether terrorism, climate change, racism etc.

Problem is the days of Walter Cronkite are long gone. The majority of news sources these days, although they usually tell the truth, they are more concerned about ratings and sensationalism than actual news and good old honest journalism.

Jeremiah Ames

Fake news is by far the worst thing.

Climate change and terrorists can only kill the body.

Luke 12:4 I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
When that happens, then there will be statistics. I'm assuming you don't actually have statistics on something that hasn't happen yet to do an actual comparison. In the meantime one can always recommend folks move inland to prepare.

One reason I'm a fan of science is that - to varying degrees - we can use it to make accurate predictions. In this National Geographic article, they are discussing the fact that Greenland's glaciers are melting faster than earlier predictions, and that the rate of melting is also accelerating. The math to calculate the sea level rise isn't that complex, so we can fairly accurately predict that when all of Greenland's glaciers melt, the sea level will rise about 20 feet.

Greenland’s ice is melting four times faster than thought—what it means

Ponder This

Hmm.... Speaking of "Fake News"
"Many Americans Say Made-Up News Is a Critical Problem That Needs To Be Fixed"
But the top issue on the list is...
PJ_2019.06.05_misinformation_0-01.png

Drug addiction!

Yeah... So, if you didn't pay close attention, then you might've missed this and walked away thinking that Made-Up News was the biggest issue in the minds of Americans. Then again... how closely can we really trust this news article? How do we know that Drug Addiction is really a big issue in most American's minds?

How do I know that you are thinking of "Pink Elephants"?

The Wheel Turns, waiting for the next spin doctor to twirl it!

74x12

According to Pew Research Fake News, in the minds of the majority of Americans, is worse than Climate Change and Terrorism.

Many Americans Say Made-Up News Is a Critical Problem That Needs To Be Fixed

Is news part of the problem of the divisions in America today?
Americans will never get it until they realize their news is controlled and/or scripted. Talk about fake news! The fact anyone thinks you even have real news is deception!

Climate change? Give me a break. What people should be worried about is the true climate change. World governments have been in control of the weather for decades. It's no joke that they can cause weather disasters and do all kinds of things. They are playing God and it has to be exposed before there can be accountability.

Research Chem trails.

Climate change is just a narrative to push ulterior agendas.

Terrorism is largely controlled and used for the same purposes.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hmm.... Speaking of "Fake News"
"Many Americans Say Made-Up News Is a Critical Problem That Needs To Be Fixed"
But the top issue on the list is...
PJ_2019.06.05_misinformation_0-01.png

Drug addiction!

Yeah... So, if you didn't pay close attention, then you might've missed this and walked away thinking that Made-Up News was the biggest issue in the minds of Americans. Then again... how closely can we really trust this news article? How do we know that Drug Addiction is really a big issue in most American's minds?

How do I know that you are thinking of "Pink Elephants"?

The Wheel Turns, waiting for the next spin doctor to twirl it!
Yes... it was there for all to see.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Americans will never get it until they realize their news is controlled and/or scripted. Talk about fake news! The fact anyone thinks you even have real news is deception!

Climate change? Give me a break. What people should be worried about is the true climate change. World governments have been in control of the weather for decades. It's no joke that they can cause weather disasters and do all kinds of things. They are playing God and it has to be exposed before there can be accountability.

Research Chem trails.

Climate change is just a narrative to push ulterior agendas.

Terrorism is largely controlled and used for the same purposes.
I'm laughing with you, not at you.

Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sinclair's news narrative presents an extremely disturbing , very eerie , and unsettling real world profile that all the news reports that we see from various Networks, all come from a collectively centralized and scripted source in this country.

The strongly suggest there is no real independent journalism to speak of, but rather , a dependent collective form of 'Journalism' exists with each news agency parroting word per word verbatim apparently coming from one particular source that willfully dictates and controls respective new sources of what they must each exactly say.

It's surely one hell of a coincidence if it isn't the case.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Back in those days, I thought the fairness doctrine was going to be a albatross.

How about just fair reporting of issues instead of creating issues that aren't there? I think that will be more of a "fairness doctrine".
The way I figure, once you remove the fairness by offering two or more sides of a story or issue, it instantaneously turns bias by default.

As the late Mr. Rooney would say,

"And now you know the rest of the story".

shmogie

Climate change is an existential threat, extending far beyond the current news cycle or political problems.
It's definitely the worst of the three choices.
Tom
Has climate change in the past been an existential threat ?

shmogie

Sinclair's news narrative presents an extremely disturbing , very eerie , and unsettling real world profile that all the news reports that we see from various Networks, all come from a collectively centralized and scripted source in this country.

The strongly suggest there is no real independent journalism to speak of, but rather , a dependent collective form of 'Journalism' exists with each news agency parroting word per word verbatim apparently coming from one particular source that willfully dictates and controls respective new sources of what they must each exactly say.

It's surely one hell of a coincidence if it isn't the case.
There is no journalism anymore. There was a time where one could watch the news and get an objective view of current events.

That ended with Walter Cronkite and the VC Tet offensive. What was an overwhelming American victory , that destroyed the VC ,was portrayed by him night after night as an American defeat. He had a political agenda and drug the country along with him.

It all went downhill from there, to today. Virtually every national news outlet and what they ¨report¨ is molded by politics,

No wonder that only congress is held in more contempt than todays political make believe journalists.