1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Worse: Climate Change, Terrorism or Fake News

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by KenS, Jun 5, 2019.

1. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,024
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
  2. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,956
    Religion:
    I finally figured out what direction I should go, when I studied the revelations of the Baha'i faith
    Assuming we're talking about the same version of "Fake news", I do consider it a very important subject.

• Like Like x 2
  3. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Religion:
    None
    Climate change is an existential threat, extending far beyond the current news cycle or political problems.
    It's definitely the worst of the three choices.
    Tom

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,956
    Religion:
    I finally figured out what direction I should go, when I studied the revelations of the Baha'i faith
    True. But never underestimate the power of a loud-mouthed, short-tempered politician at the top of the system either. This relates to the Fake News problem, but I don't care to say how.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,456
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,610
    Religion:
    Druidry

While true, it is also true that "fake news" is a major player in preventing humans worldwide from doing something about climate change. It exacerbates the general human tendency to not concern itself with anything which is not immediate and ground its behaviors in values regardless of facts.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Religion:
    None
    I totally agree.
    The three aren't separate concepts.

Climate change drives terrorism which drives fake news which supports climate change which.....

I don't think humans are smart enough to choose to end the processes that are leading to destruction.
    Tom

8. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,024
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    Back in those days, I thought the fairness doctrine was going to be a albatross.

How about just fair reporting of issues instead of creating issues that aren't there? I think that will be more of a "fairness doctrine".

9. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,024
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    A great point.

10. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,999
    Religion:
    Love
    That sounds good but people ideas about what the issues are is so different that it would take a miracle to bridge them. Trump, for example, ignores real issues to hype much less important issues assuming we considering them issues at all.

11. icehorse

icehorse Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,357
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    Honest communication is an essential tool in fixing hard problems. So there is a point at which - if fake news becomes too prevalent - it could seriously impede our ability to handle the existential threat of global warming.

12. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,590
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Fake news can be fixed by not using fake news sites. They do it for ratings. They are given people what they want, so stop wanting it.

Global warming, not much can be done about it except we can prepare for climate change.

I'd say terrorism. We have had devastating terrorist attacks that have impacted many.

13. Wu Wei

Wu Wei ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Ratings:
    +4,514
    Well what about fake news about environmental terrorism.

And yes, fake news is part of the problem when it comes to America, Trroism and Climate change. But in my view
    1) Climate change
    2) Terrorism
    3 Fake News

But it is really hard for me to truly decide which is worse between Climate change and terrorism, both are very serious and both are rather complicated

14. Scott C.

Scott C. Just one guy

Ratings:
    +640
    Religion:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Fake News is used to mean 1) flat out made up fake stories, 2) half truths lacking context and the whole story, and 3) political spin. (2) and (3) are more dangerous than (1). The left is masterful at (2) and (3). Some on the right seem to swallow stories from (1), which are obviously fake.

15. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,610
    Religion:
    Druidry

I think we are, but building up the inertia is a significant obstacle. It's somewhat ironic that indigenous cultures that are written off as "savages" could far more easily adapt to these things than first world countries. First world countries are plagued by excessively complicated infrastructure that they believe is needed to support and sustain themselves. The more complexity that is built into a system, the less readily it can change its direction.
    Currently it seems to me the inertia is going in a direction that will help, and we shall see how things play out. Changes of this nature are being held back a lot by the failure of first world governments to do what is necessary.

16. bobhikes

bobhikes infinitologist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,873
    No people are. People put priority on today's problem and minimize future problems.

Climate change is the worse because it is a slow problem that will take generations to cause real problems but we will pass the point of no return before we are aware of it. People can not judge problems in the distance and usually over rate problems in the now for example Fake News. Fake news is not a real problem even though its pointed out every day, terrorism hasn't happened in the US in a while now and climate change issues are still years away. Its easy to see how people vote.

17. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,024
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    This is how I think it plays out...

Fake news makes people doubt what they read. When they doubt what they read, then they doubt climate change, terrorism or any other subject.

I think Fake News is the biggest problem because news (or should I say unbiased facts) is what gives power to the people to fix things whether terrorism, climate change, racism etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    What's your alternative? Create a State media like North Korea to make sure there's no more fake news?:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +305
    Religion:
    christian
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,024
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    That was good Hubert.

On a serious note, hopefully media will learn from their mistakes and go back to the good ol' days of good journalism. :)

• Like Like x 1