• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's to celebrate?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm just wondering if someone can answer this question for me. I know it doesn't really matter, but it has been bugging me forever. Every night on the TV news, there is a stock market report. Lately, it sounds like this:

"And the Dow is down. Nasdac also fell, as did the S&P."

As this announcement is made, the camera focuses on a bunch of smartly dressed men and women standing together :clap . Why are they :clap if the stock market is down? They should be wringing their hands, shouldn't they? What's to :clap about?

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
I'm just wondering if someone can answer this question for me. I know it doesn't really matter, but it has been bugging me forever. Every night on the TV news, there is a stock market report. Lately, it sounds like this:

"And the Dow is down. Nasdac also fell, as did the S&P."

As this announcement is made, the camera focuses on a bunch of smartly dressed men and women standing together :clap . Why are they :clap if the stock market is down? They should be wringing their hands, shouldn't they? What's to :clap about?
There are a couple of things: short sales, options, etc - if you know what you are doing you can make money on the stock market no matter which direction it goes.

My gut feeling is that this isn't the answer though. A lot of things go on at Wall Street. For example, someone is always honored by given the opportunity to ring the opening or closing bell. When my company had it's IPO (initial public offering) our CEO got to do it. I would think that the camera caught these guys at one of those times. Now, why did the station chose to use that footage? Your guess is as good as mine.