• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's the name of god Adonai, Elohim or Yahwah

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yod representing the concrete/physical elements of existence, wau being the ethereal/fluid elements with the 2 hehs symbolizing the perfectly whole ideal of the other letters... This being based on the hebraic numerology/bibliomantic worldview of the time. A fitting analogy for a Unitarian Deity that encompasses all other deities into a ONE-SOURCE Deity.

Actually it's very loosely based on Kabbalistic understandings of the text dating from the Middle Ages.

But who's counting...?

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Whoops. Thanks Tumah.

And G-d said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord G-d of your forefathers, the G-d of Abraham, the G-d of Isaac, and the G-d of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.

We don't view this as G-d's name, it is more of a description.

You know and I know that the Hebrew doesn't say "the Lord." And given that Exodus 6:2-3 are pretty explicit-
וידבר אלהים אל משה ויאמר אליו אני ה
וארא אל אברהם אל יצחק ואל יעקב באל שדי ושמי ה לא נודעתי להם

whether you want to consider it THE Name or A Name, it is a name.

Peter

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yod representing the concrete/physical elements of existence, wau being the ethereal/fluid elements with the 2 hehs symbolizing the perfectly whole ideal of the other letters... This being based on the hebraic numerology/bibliomantic worldview of the time. A fitting analogy for a Unitarian Deity that encompasses all other deities into a ONE-SOURCE Deity.

This is gibberish. I don't think you actually have any idea what you are talking about. It looks to me like you took an idea that you had and interpreted it into the letters in the way that was most convenient for you.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
OK, now somebody needs to let Chabad.org know that their translation is wrong.

Not really. The translation on the Chabad website simply follows the convention that when translating, the phrase "the Lord" is substituted for the tetragrammaton, just as when reading the Hebrew we substitute "Adonai" for the name. (I did not type out all four letters and that may have confused you.)

Peter

Last edited: